• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foul Light Usage

My center uses foul lights?

Reminder "Bowl-Tech Polls Are Private" We don't save voter info

Foul Lights Never Used (no leagues)
    3.33%
    Foul Lights Never Used (we have leagues)
    30.00%
    Only Used During League Play
    35.56%
    Used During Open and League Play
    31.11%

The poll is expired.

Mike Wilson
    Bowl-Tech Inc.

"Why yes, Your Honor, we do have foul lights. But we don't turn them on for open bowlers" REALLY. The next survey should be - If you have been sued for a fall and injury while your patrons bowl, were they league bowlers or open play bowlers?
    This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Ironically, foul lights are one of the most redundant pieces of technology, you turn them on for league, and lets face it league bowlers DONT FOUL, when they go off it's only because the lights are faulty.

And we don't use them for open play as people complain kids aren't scoring.
      AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

My old center turned them on first thing in the morning and they stayed on until closing time. Open bowers complaining about not scoring were given a quick review of the rules of the game.
        let me be myself

Comment

Foul light units were originally installed operating off seperate electrical circuit with each pair independently controlled by switch mounted in control counter console.
          I changed this so each unit is powered from corresponding machine control box. Power is drawn from circuit that is powered up by the closing of the motor contactor. This makes it impossible for the foul light units to be turned off. If the machine is turned on, the foul lights are operating with the exception of the machine going into standby mode and motor contactor opening. The very first ball from standby mode has to be thrown whilst foul light units are not working.
          Foul lights are not enabled during open play so that they will sound and light up but wont affect score or cycle machine. Units are enabled for league play.
          Last edited by Headpin; 02-02-2017, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Ours are turned on once for the annual inspection...it's like "yep...they work"...never use 'em again the rest of the year...Like PinHead said..."redundant equipment"...nothing we have here goes beyond our area...all leagues are local...
            "Don't expect too much and you'll never be let down..."

Comment

I wouldn't call them redundant. They serve a purpose and have a use. By that analogy bowling shoes could also be considered redundant. Many centres don't bother policing their use and centres are starting to oil further past the foul line. Why make people wear them then? Aren't they then redundant?

Wether or not centres have a "need" for foul lights is something different.
              Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
              Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
              Walker B, Sanction Standard & Original K
              Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

All foul lights on at opening, off at closing.
                Controlled by mechanic, not the desk help.

League play = no problems with foul lights.
                Like posted above, league bowlers rarely foul.

Open play = an entirely different world.
                Its not so much the kids, but the parents that cause all the problems.
                Either not watching the kids because their cell phone blocks thier view, or the parents think they have the right to walk 40' down the center of the lane to retrieve little johnnies dead ball.

Red decals on foul light covers, warning to stay behind foul line.
                Decals on each lane at foul line, that even glow under UV lighting, warning to stay behind foul line.

We even use the bowlers agreement (on overheads), that the bowlers have to acknowledge before their lanes are turned on at the score table.
                First item on the list, is "Do not go past the foul line."
                Second is "If you need help, contact the control desk."

Of course, anyone slipping and falling on the lane will be calling their lawyer in the morning.
                Yes, open play bowlers to answer the above question.

Anyone who complains about the foul lights is told that they are turned on for insurance purposes.
                That usually ends the conversation.

PS. Having CCTV cameras observing the approaches and foul lines definitely will help your case, in event of legal action.

Comment

We have the Q AMF foul lights. The foul lights are set to come on in "Warning" mode for open play and "On" for leagues.

Comment

^nice

Comment

The foul lights are great because of the dummy customers, you know the ones that put their foot over the line and you can see they are clearly stepping on the lane...great pleasure in treating them like a child such as: ' You see that black line and the words along side it that say foul line, do not cross...? that means you don't cross the black line, OK? Now maybe you will get a score '

Comment

I liked when we could set the MIU so that during open bowling the foul lights would buzz but not penalize the score. Yes some would catch on and do it anyway but worked well for the most part to keep people behind the line.
                        Charley
                        82-70's SS Chassis Omega-Tek w/expanders
                        2009 Qubica scoring 3QT's and 6 box.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanga (James) View Post
                          I wouldn't call them redundant. They serve a purpose and have a use. By that analogy bowling shoes could also be considered redundant. Many centres don't bother policing their use and centres are starting to oil further past the foul line. Why make people wear them then? Aren't they then redundant?

Wether or not centres have a "need" for foul lights is something different.
                          Well now that you mention shoes...the little slippy toe sock everyone is so raving about could actually eliminate the need for bowling shoes !?! The shoe covers in reverse ! (Hmm...might be on to something there...)
                          "Don't expect too much and you'll never be let down..."

Comment

Ive wired my foul light power in tandem with the power lift relay. When a pinsetter is on that pair is on. As for scoring, most systems have a way of disabling the foul input to bowlers frame. (ie. foul would display an F for league and tournament bowlers but not open play).
                            ME&My68

There's no such thing as idiot proof, it just makes a better idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by me_and_my_68 View Post
                              Ive wired my foul light power in tandem with the power lift relay. When a pinsetter is on that pair is on. As for scoring, most systems have a way of disabling the foul input to bowlers frame. (ie. foul would display an F for league and tournament bowlers but not open play).
                              I may do something like this over the summer. Sadly I had to put we do have them but never turn them on. Years back before I worked at my center hardly anything worked. After I finally got the owner to invest money into fixing them first week of leagues we had guys up in arms saying they were faulty and how they never fouled in their lives. Since then the front hardly ever turns them on and if they do surely they will be turned back off before the league night is over. ALL are aligned damn near perfectly across the foul line BTW.
                              "wiggle that wire see if it does anything"

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse

Preventative Maintenance - Brunswick B-10's Hollar House

Took a trip back in time to the classic “Hollar House”. The lanes went in in 1908. There was no ABC but according to the current operator, Tom, it became sanctioned when...

phoenix rebuild

phoenix lane machine we got from another of our centers
                              seems like pms were not done in a long time
                              and these are just some of the pics

Ball accelerator

Hello, would this crack in the accelerator motor cause an issue. It's brand new and have one on the way but, it won't be here until next week. I have a pair down due to the motor...

Testing Link Belting "PowerTwist Drive"

Recently got my hands onto some meters of these: http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwi...Drive-A/13/4L/

At first let me tell you that they are pretty sturdy and very...

Ion buffer brush

Have Kegel ion model B. Noticed the buffer brush rubbing up against the felt that's attached to the oil transfer assembly (the "door" you open to fill the tanks). This...
                              Working...
                              X