Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all Bowling Mechanics Bowlers?

Thanks to RonInFla for submitting this poll -

Are you a Bowler that became a Mechanic?

or a Mechanic that became a Bowler?

Pro Bowler First
    6.41%
    Recreational Bowler First
    52.56%
    Never Bowled, Needed A Job
    7.69%
    Mechanic Turned League Player
    6.41%
    Mechanic Turned Pro
    1.28%
    Recreational Bowler, Turned Mechanic, Turned Pro
    2.56%
    Not Interested in Bowling Just Working
    23.08%

The poll is expired.

Mike Wilson
    Bowl-Tech Inc.

These dsys I only work 1 shift a week to help out old friend, in return i can bowl socially and in league for free.
    I throw the occasional ball down but couldn't bowl a whole game, just doesn't interest me.
    When i did work full-time i did bowl league 2 years in a 4 man team, too slow and boring for me.
    It's hard to relax and enjoy yourself in your own centre when you're responsible for maintenance.
    I found myself watching the machines more interesting especially when i heard the trouble bell.

Good question Ronnie.

Comment

I haven't done any serious bowling for a long time. I started bowling at Fairlanes in Perth City (closed over 10 years now) in the late 1970's.

Bowled league until about 1985 then took a break for a couple of years. Started working as a tech at Fairlanes in July 1988 but never went back to any serious sort of bowling.

When you work as a tech, you really don't feel like bowling too much. Especially league or tournaments when everyone knows you work there. I know a few techs who gave up bowling league because they got fed up with all the questions/complaints from the other bowlers.

Comment

Good post Carl.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl D View Post
          I haven't done any serious bowling for a long time. I started bowling at Fairlanes in Perth City (closed over 10 years now) in the late 1970's.

Bowled league until about 1985 then took a break for a couple of years. Started working as a tech at Fairlanes in July 1988 but never went back to any serious sort of bowling.

When you work as a tech, you really don't feel like bowling too much. Especially league or tournaments when everyone knows you work there. I know a few techs who gave up bowling league because they got fed up with all the questions/complaints from the other bowlers.
          Agreed.

I was a junior bowler, then got odd jobs after school. Loved bowling, would have done it day and night. As I got older and got more responsibilities I felt more burdened with bowling in league. I eventually lost interest when I became full-time because of the reasons Carl mentioned. I now prefer to keep my distance from bowlers so I don't become an ear to chew on.
          Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
          Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
          Walker B, Sanction Standard & Original K
          Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

I love my bowling but have cut down to 1 league every 3 weeks. I have one rule when bowling and that is that I am a regular customer as I have to pay just as they do. All my league bowlers now know that I only answer social chat.

Comment

Although I voted Mechanic to Pro Bowler we don't actually have a Pro Tour in Australia. We had what they called a Grand Prix circuit in NSW, with Majors in Different States. I bowled in a lot of these throughout the 80's to 2000's, with a little bit of success, I won Sydney Open Masters 1981, NSW Open Masters 1982 and made the Playoffs in the Brisbane Cup 1982 (Major ) and other playoffs in the Newcastle Cup twice the Lake Macquarie Open Twice, Southcoast Open, Grafton Cup.
              I have not bowled much over the last 12 years only a couple of times with my Staff in Christmas Parties.

Frank
              always doing my best.

Comment

I last bowled in league in 1993 the year I hurt my back. I remember I never enjoyed it much for same reasons already stated. People complaining to me about conditions or pinchasers not thinking for themselves and bothering me because they knew I was in the building. I occasionally pick up a ball an bowl a few frames to test out scoring repairs but that's about it. At the end of the day I just want out of here.

Comment

I started as an 8 year old and bowled thru till my early 20's. never really any good just enjoyed friendships. got first job as casual mechanic at 15. went fulltime at 20. bowled league occasionally through the years but hated other bowlers bugging me about conditions etc while is was bowling.started back 1 night a week 2 years ago but gave it away this year as I didn't really enjoy it. when I was hiring mechanics I tried not to hire league bowlers as too many times they would want the weekend off to bowl a tournament etc.
                  Regards,

Len.

Comment

Silver Level Coach and League Bowler

Comment

Long route of recreation to league to mechanic with league to mechanic with coaching back to mechanic with league and now mechanic only. Just as most others have stated, having to catch all the comments and side talk became too annoying.
                      Even when people weren't chewing my ear, I found myself constantly listening or watching what the machines were doing instead of focusing on my game, so it's mechanic-ing only now.

Comment

I rarely bowled...never had any interest...I was more interested in the pinsetters...My background is in manufacturing mechanics, so it seemed to be a perfect fit...a machine doing the same thing all day...Took me about 3 months to learn everything about an A2...for me, how the machine operates is more common sense than anything...82/70's were actually easier to understand mechanically...it was the chassis, connected to 40 lbs of copper spaghetti,that drove me nuts...But considering my A2's are a year younger than I am, is probably why I like them the best !!!
                        "Don't expect too much and you'll never be let down..."

Comment

Love the sport never went pro just bowler and mechanic I think bowling regularly helps you see what others see in lane conditions. As for the complainers "stop whining...practice"

Comment

I bowled in our youth program before I got a job as a pinchaser. Within a year of me starting our head mechanic walked out and the center turned to me to keep it running. Talk about a learning curve! I don't bowl league anymore although I'd like too. I spend too much time here in the back trying to salvage what's left of the place since I got back from my 9 year hiatus. Although i don't bowl league I love to watch a ball turning down the lane and crushing a rack. I like studying ball reaction on the lane with who's throwing it and see if I can help a struggling bowler score better. lol..And I like working with the youth on reading lanes, and understanding ball reaction. But with that being said I do find myself being questioned about my job and that does get old.It's hard to be upfront and enjoy yourself very much. I keep saying I'm going to make a mechanics shirt that says, "I can;t please everyone, and I cant fix stupid!" lol As I do get hassled about the shot here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody4486 View Post
                              I keep saying I'm going to make a mechanics shirt that says, "I can;t please everyone, and I cant fix stupid!" lol As I do get hassled about the shot here.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	KeepCalmStudio.com-[Skull-Crossed-Bones]-I-Can-t-Keep-Calm-I-m-A-Lane-Mechanic.png
Views:	1
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1071328
                              "Don't expect too much and you'll never be let down..."

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse

phoenix rebuild

phoenix lane machine we got from another of our centers
                              seems like pms were not done in a long time
                              and these are just some of the pics

Ball accelerator

Hello, would this crack in the accelerator motor cause an issue. It's brand new and have one on the way but, it won't be here until next week. I have a pair down due to the motor...

Testing Link Belting "PowerTwist Drive"

Recently got my hands onto some meters of these: http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwi...Drive-A/13/4L/

At first let me tell you that they are pretty sturdy and very...

Ion buffer brush

Have Kegel ion model B. Noticed the buffer brush rubbing up against the felt that's attached to the oil transfer assembly (the "door" you open to fill the tanks). This...

Preventative Maintenace - Brunswick A, Jets, A2 - Slow Machine - Semi Creepy Speed

I really liked the slower speed of Masternut but decided to go a little faster, (the M2SC Conversion - Mickey Mouse Semi Creepy Conversion LOL). Looking at the video on the...
                              Working...
                              X