Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3QT Box out of communication

I have one 3QT box that goes out of communication about every other day. The only way to get it to boot is to put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes (weird but it works). I think it's a relay problem but wonder if there's a way to fix it without buying a new box. It will only work for about 2 days before it goes out of communication again and we have to freeze it all over again. We have tons of power surges here and they have killed 4 of these boxes already this year. This is for Qubica Conqueror Pro.

Re: 3QT Box out of communication

First, I think surge suppressors are cheaper than 3QT boxes. You might be able to add enough for all your lanes for the price of one 3QT.
    Second, I suspect a solder joint that comes together when cold and moves apart when it warms up. If it heats up enough it may show itself as a blackened area, but by then you may have fried something.

Comment

These surges blow the surge suppressors too. I've been fighting with the power company for 3 years to find out what's causing them, to no avail. So you're telling me I need to buy another 3QT box then?

Comment

Next time you have it running, take a screwdriver (butt end) and tap all over the box fairly hard. See if it drops out again. Sounds goofy, but this is a test I have used for decades to determine if you have a solder joint connection problem. Mr. B is correct about the contraction when you freeze it - it could be a marginal connection that just has to get warm enough to break free. A lot of these problems aren't really easy to see without a magnifying glass and experience to detect it. It could also be a chip(s) on the board that are heating up slowly - it is a symptom of a slowly dying part. Great fun.

Jon
        I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

Ah... the old diagnosing trick of "Tapification". Works every time!
          Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Comment

Thanks. Will try it. Then replace it, I guess. I had one last year that was doing this and after a few weeks of putting it in the freezer, it finally started working and has worked since. No such luck on this one, at least so far.

Comment

I would put the board in a ziplock bag before putting it in the freezer and leave it in the bag until it returns to room temperature to keep condensation from causing moisture problems.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.badwrench
                I would put the board in a ziplock bag before putting it in the freezer and leave it in the bag until it returns to room temperature to keep condensation from causing moisture problems.
                Good point - are you putting just the board or the whole box in the freezer? These don't have hard drives in them do they? If I recall, they use a flash drive - correct? Moisture & electronics don't usually mix well.
                I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

What am I missing. Are you literally putting these boxes in a freezer? If so, why? What does that do?

Comment

Jon...you are correct. There is no hard drive in them. They use flash drives.

QAMF has stated that there was a run of 3QT's that have power supplies with inherent issues. They stated that you can detect this issue by waiting for the 3QT to "fail" then look at the LED's on the side of the unit. Look where the Cat5 cables plug in on the second port down from the top. If the LED is blinking an error code of 4 flashes...this is what you are dealing with. Only real solution is to change the power supply. Since mine are under warranty...I do not know what the power supply looks like or if it is even available from the electronics industry...as these are manufactured in Italy...they may be from that part of the world. See what the LED's are flashing the next time it fails and maybe you will have a clue to the mystery.
                    TSM & TSM Training Development
                    Main Event Entertainment
                    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Is Qubica replacing these boxes that have this problem? Maybe that's what's going on with all 4 of them that I've replaced. I currently have 2 more that are doing the same thing. There's a serious problem here! 6 boxes in 6 months! I can't afford this!

And yes, we do put the whole box in the freezer, in a bag. My mechanic suggested it from something he had done in the past, and it really does work. At least for a while. Gets us through the league anyway.

Comment

You would need to speak with QAMF about the replacement of the 3QT. As I stated...mine are under warranty so replacement is on them.
                        TSM & TSM Training Development
                        Main Event Entertainment
                        480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse