Collapse

Adspeed Classic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has ANYONE ??? actually found a part number or supplier for the two metal gears inside the casing for Brunswick Pinball Wizard 2 version 2 motors?? I am wondering.

Comment

A cheap alternative is to adapt the windshield wiper motor from a car. They run on the same voltage, low RPM and high torque made to endure hundreds of thousands more revolutions than will ever be expected of them in the bowl. Once you install them, you won't have to worry about them ever again.

It's my belief that a lot of parts coming into the industry are either under engineered or poorly designed. Plastic gears! Is just cheap. Even the cheapest cordless drills on the market have metal gears.

Comment

I've had a couple of the v2 metal gears fail and tried to find replacements and even costed them being made. It isn't possible without a huge outlay. The OEM bumper design is ok as long as you don't allow the switch plate and motor mount to loosen. The moment it does the motor will over travel and stress the roll pin causing it to burst the retaining ring and get into the mating gear teeth.

Unless you've actually lost teeth, you can still continue to use the gears after replacing the roll pin and retainer. I machine a grade 5 pin and new retainer.

Scheduled checks, adjusting and tightening of the switch plate will drastically minimize the likelihood of this re-occurring. I know this isn't an answer to you question, but it's the best solution I have found.
        Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
        Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
        Walker B, Sanction Standard & Original K
        Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

If the original limit switch mechanism is failing due to unreasonably high maintenance demands. Could you introduce a sacrificial component like a shear pin into the drive train that will fail before the gears do?

Comment

I wouldn't call it unreasonable to require an inspection of the switch plate position at least once a quarter. It's the "out of sight" nature of the bumper mechanism the leads to it being forgotten. If the installers cut the trap doors in the gutters it's not a big ask for a general check of the state of the plate and actuator.

I believe the roll pin on the main shaft was the designed weak point, but then again, it's the damage the retainer for the roll pin and roll pin itself cause that lead to the gear teeth being chewed. In most cases the gear can still be used even with the damage. In 9 years out of 24 lanes I've only had the one pin failure in the bumper motors. It happened in the first few years which prompted me to perform regular checks of the switch plates.

The interface Comscore uses also allows me to identify which lane has a plate out of adjustment. If you ask the bumpers to lower when they're in the down position you can hear a click on any lane that has the plate shifted.
            Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

I wouldn't call quarterly checks unreasonable either.

Comment

Here are photos from my "Gotcha" album that illustrate the damage that occurs when the switch plate is left out of adjustment.
                Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Adspeed Classic

Collapse

"Tablejam changes a distributor belt"

My first video upload in awhile.

I thought it would be fun to see me changing a distributor belt.

This machine had a waffle belt on it but started having...

Auto OOR..

Didn't think I'd ever like these. Now, especially in a FEC, they are one of my favorite mods. Here are the ones I made for our center. Hooks were made from stock from my scrap...

Pit Board Rubbers

Years ago, got tired of these damn things falling off. Here's my fix. Never come loose again....

4:1 replacement

Swapped out 4:1 assembly today due to oil leak. Was surprised by the amount of sediment in the box. Looked and felt like gritty mud.
                You can see the trail that the leaking...

Scissor stud tool.

Not sure if they make a special wrench to hold the stud for the scissors, but my dad got tired of fighting with it and made this wrench. He cut down a 15/16 wrench, grinded the...
                Working...
                X