Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Permit to Oil Lanes?

So we are currently going through a thorough fire inspection process with the local fire department, and they are having us get a permit in order to clean and oil the lanes. This is due to the flammability factor of the chemicals used to oil. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems a bit crazy to me.

All we had to do was get a fire cabinet to store the lane oil, paints, etc.
    Never had to get a permit to run the lane machine.

Do they realize this is something that gets done daily, and not a one time thing?

Comment

They’re aware it happens daily. They also had us get a fire proof cabinet, which is totally reasonable. I think they’re just busting our balls. It is what it is. I just found it to be a bit over the top.

Comment

What oil and cleaner are you using?

Comment

He's probably using Fire.

Comment

Originally posted by amf8270mp View Post
            He's probably using Fire.
            Too funny.
            Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
            Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
            Walker B, Sanction Standard & Original K
            Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

That is pretty funny fire

Comment

Not sure what oil you are using or machine but most of them are using some version of mineral oil, with varying viscosities. My understanding is that it is about 98% mineral oil with various additives comprising the last few %.

Mineral oil is NOT flammable. It is combustible. The flashpoint of a flammable material is 100F, but the flashpoint of mineral oil is around 335F. - Got this off a web search for Mineral Oil flammability. (If you are keeping the lanes that warm, your heat bill must be very high LOL).

I would explain this to the fire department and give them the MSDS sheet. Also ask what code or regulation requires this and that you would like to see it for your own education. I realize messing with the bull...... but sometimes you have to push back. And yes if you are using gasoline to oil, you may have a problem LOL

Mineral Oil.pdf
                Attached Files
                Everything has to be Somewhere !!

Comment

I think the key when talking to any city about lanes is not to use the word OIL, stick with the more neutral CONDITIONER, or we condition lanes to avoid them possibly taking a closer look when they hear the word OIL.

mickeygm makes some great points with the research, it is OK to ask the local authorities questions, in my job I deal with them in many municipalities, some are more helpful than others, it is also very important to communicate to them that you are willing to meet their needs, All cities have ordinances to deal with just about anything, if they dont, the fall back are the NFPA codes. If you choose to ask about the ordinance the applies to your situation be careful and respectful, maybe let them know you wish to follow the local ordinances but would like to be able to read up on that ordinance to be sure you completely understand.

Always tread lightly and respectfully, I have gone to a city manager to discuss complicated issues for clarification, the reality is that fire departments are the enforcers of city ordinances, it is up to local governments to approve, create new rules to be enforced, many smaller towns at minimum will adopt a NFPA guidelines as their template and then make additions as needed to fit their own special needs.

Mike Wilson
                  Bowl-Tech Inc.

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse

Preventative Maintenance - Brunswick B-10's Hollar House

Took a trip back in time to the classic “Hollar House”. The lanes went in in 1908. There was no ABC but according to the current operator, Tom, it became sanctioned when...

Testing Link Belting "PowerTwist Drive"

Recently got my hands onto some meters of these: http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwi...Drive-A/13/4L/

At first let me tell you that they are pretty sturdy and very...

Ion buffer brush

Have Kegel ion model B. Noticed the buffer brush rubbing up against the felt that's attached to the oil transfer assembly (the "door" you open to fill the tanks). This...

Stahl's "Tuffy Super Jam Stopper" in action!

So I decided to try a few of these, I mean the idea totally makes sense and recently I saw these in action and liked what I saw.

Basically, it's meant as an extension...

Foul Light LED Mod

Here is a mod I came up with for a foul light unit. I was able to remove the old indicator light bulbs and replace them with ultra bright white LEDs. This should work for about...
                  Working...
                  X