Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMF Magic Score arrays

Does anyone here have a pinout of which terminals go to which transducer(at the plug where the array connects to the pre-amp), and is there any way to reliably test & repair an array, replace transducers? These things are seemingly made of unobtainium...no one has them, and I need working spares. I've figured out that a functional transducer measures like a capacitor, typically 900-1000pF, but how do you replace a bad transducer without messing up the entire array?

Each transducer, 7 in each array, is sealed with cream-colored, hard plastic "goop". I'd love to know how to identify which transducer goes to which pins on the plug, and how to replace one that's bad. Obviously, I would love to upgrade to a more modern scoring system, but we're in a small town in a rural area, so that's not in the cards, and I have to make this old stuff work.

Comment

I have a lot of parts for these & have been repairing them for years, the real trick to them is replacing the bad one(s) since the cable is a shielded cable. I made up a jig to do this a long time ago. I also made a tester to determine 'iffy' transducers. Usually there are more than one bad transducer in a strip by the time you start seeing consistent issues. I still repair these, PM me if you want.

Jon
      I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

We had the kickback versions, not the pindeck light version.
        I used to have notes on pinouts, and which transducers covered which areas of the pindeck.
        For the technology at the time, they worked pretty well.
        I sure dont miss them though.

Comment

What a Pain those things were, I used to replace the Kickback style one's individually ie; 1 piece at a time, just snip them off and solder a known good 1, usually around the 10 or 7 pin ends, till I got the problem. From memory you have to watch the Angle they face.
          always doing my best.

Comment

I have ZERO experience with this system but my love for all things electronic and keeping old stuff running makes this an interesting topic. The links below are to what I believe are the patents for the system. I couldn't find any other documentation on the system. The first is an overview and the second is the pdf of the patent including drawings which was linked from the first link.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4140314.html

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4140314.pdf

I didn't do a deep dive but they seem to provide some fundamental details on how the system works. It doesn't have the pinout you desire but interesting none the less.

I can't imagine there are a lot of these left in service but like you say, parts are probably premium priced. I use ultrasonic sensors with micro controllers that are pretty accurate and relatively cheap. I wonder if some new technology can be adapted in to replace the transducers. Might be an interesting project. Maybe I'll set up some pins and see what happens. Maybe some sensors on the sweep that would detect which pins were picked up as it sweeps under them. hmmm Of course you could probably adapt in a camera but that's another project.

Good luck on your search. Let us know how it's going. Let me know if there may be something I can help you with.

Comment

These things use SODAR. They're all the same except for the 7 or 10 pin mount which is angled differently from the rest.
              I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

Originally posted by wb8yjf View Post
                These things use SODAR. They're all the same except for the 7 or 10 pin mount which is angled differently from the rest.
                Yep, you and I exchanged PMs about this several months ago. Thanks again for your help and the nice chat.

Comment

Also, an update for anyone curious or wanting to know about these old arrays. I've got pictures of this stuff but I can't find them right now. If I do I may update this post.

First, the pinout of the connector which plugs into the pre-amp box:
                  Looking at the end of the plug with the metal plate facing up, there are 10 sets of contacts.
                  The far left and far right contacts are electrically the same point, ground. Inside the plug there's a thin, bare wire soldered to these two contacts and coiled around the braided shielding of all 7 transducer cables.
                  The pinout for this plug, left to right, is GND-UNUSED-BLK-RED-YLW-GRN-BLU-GRY-WHT-GND. The colored wires are in sequence along the array, with BLK being the transducer at the back end(7-10 pin) and WHT at the front of the pin deck.

What had me chasing my tail for a while was how to test for good/bad transducers so I could reliably determine which ones to replace. My trusty old Fluke 83 gave me inconclusive results, as did my ESR/capacitance meter. I have this other meter called an MTester, but there was no good way to connect it to a scoring array. So I pimped out my MTester with small alligator clip leads, and that did the trick. I honestly have no idea what is actually inside one of these transducers, but the MTester sees a good one as a capacitor, typically around 900-1000pF. A marginal one will measure 600-800pF, which is ok if it's in the middle of the strip. A really bad one will measure well below 600, often in the 200's or it may even read as a resistor. With this handy little meter it takes about 2 minutes to test an array, in or out of the machine.

A nearby center had the same scoring system many years ago, and they still had some arrays in their kickbacks. They let me crawl around under their machines one day and I removed whatever strips I could find with decent transducers.

So now at my own center I've got 4 working spare arrays hanging on the wall, and enough transducers and other array parts to last a good long time.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                  widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Super Bowl Funday!

This is how my day started. The note left by the night mechanic was "The cam needs adjustments. Table keeps going up and down."

Distributor Clutch Stop Blade Wear

Replaced this stop blade on an Edge machine at a private installation I service. It looks like this after 20,000 frames. The stop blade on the machine next to it looks new after...

Qubica BES-X Lane Advertising

Anyone know if/how to replace the BES-X "station ID" graphic that shows up before and after a video ad runs on the monitors? I'd much rather have it show our logo, especially...

Preventative Maintenance - Jet Back Booster & A2 Accelerator Control Boxes

I convert my booster control relays over to Plug-ins as they fail. They are the same as the Motor Start & Recycle relays which makes it very convenient.

Making TDM's adjustable.

I have some machines that the time delay cycles like right now when machine is triggered instead of the 3 sec delay. Would like to put in a potentiameter to correct this. Does...

Solderless relay conversion

Is anyone running the solderless relays on the accelerators? How do you like them? What brand? How difficult to convert was it? Would love the feed back as I'm about to switch...
                  Working...
                  X