Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R22 is Going Bye Bye. Thoughts on R410 Retrofit?

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R22 is Going Bye Bye. Thoughts on R410 Retrofit?

I was told recently by one of our HVAC technicians that R22 is about to be gone. Production has stopped already I think. Everything is going to R410A. He told me that even all of the older units will have to be retrofitted for the new refrigerant, much like the automotive industry did a while back going from R12 to R134A. He also told me that retrofitting is a nightmare on older units. R410A runs at such a high head pressure that if you don't already have a leak, you will soon. Also the conversion process involves repacing the compressor(s), dryers/accumulators, etc.

Seems to me it'd be just about worth it to replace the entire unit even if there is only a relatively small, and repairable issue causing a leak.

Looks like $200 repair jobs are soon to be $10,000+ repair jobs.

Is this info on track? Any thoughts/opinions?
    <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Re: R22 is Going Bye Bye. Thoughts on R410 Retrofit?

From what I understand and read on http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/phas...2phaseout.html
    R22 will still be around for repairs for a while yet.

Comment

That's good news. He made it sound like it was going to happen within the next 2 years and that a retrofit to R410A was the only option. From your link it appears that R410A is not the chosen refrigerant for retrofits and is actually not recommended.
      <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

i'm actually certified to work with automotive AC systems, r12 or freon is no longer MADE. it can be reused almost forever, and there is no requirement to retrofit until there is no avaible freon.
        r134a is a poor subsitute, requiring larger condensors and evaporators to do the same amount of cooling.

from the sounds of r410a retrofit, its also a poor substitute for the r22.
        but i'd bet the r22 will be around for years to come too. even today you can get your freon system recharged.

i would guess replacing vs repairing has the same basic arguement as in cars. by replacing you get much more effecient use of the power source, be it gas or electricity, and a longer problem free period for the rest of it.

Comment

Much essier to use M099. It is a straight drop in replacement for 22. Just has to be put in liquid phase.

Comment

R22 will cease use in the US in 2020. All new production of equipment (A/C, Coolers, Freezers) are band for use of R22. Today, R22 is not being manufactured in the US, it is being imported from overseas until 2020.

MO99 is the Dupont named product, in the trade it is referred to as R438A. And is a so called "Drop In" replacement. Here's the Dupont take on their product: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxE...it?usp=sharing

What I did years ago when they threatened the end of R12 was, I purchased 5 30lb. cans and put them in storage for later use.

If you have a lot of units with R22, you should do the same, except that now you need an EPA certification to buy gas.

Comment

Don't know much about refrigerants, but you should check out Enviro-Safe Refrigerants here in Pekin. They had an explosion last year in their plant, and have a whole new 4 building complex going up. They ship all over the world.
              Brent V
              Hi-tech Repairs-Duck tape &amp; ty raps

Comment

If all there new products are supposed to be safer and not harm the ozone layer why do you still have to recover them?

Comment

They don't harm the atmosphere as much but there is still harm.
                  TSM & TSM Training Development
                  Main Event Entertainment
                  480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse

phoenix rebuild

phoenix lane machine we got from another of our centers
                  seems like pms were not done in a long time
                  and these are just some of the pics

Ball accelerator

Hello, would this crack in the accelerator motor cause an issue. It's brand new and have one on the way but, it won't be here until next week. I have a pair down due to the motor...

Testing Link Belting "PowerTwist Drive"

Recently got my hands onto some meters of these: http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwi...Drive-A/13/4L/

At first let me tell you that they are pretty sturdy and very...

Ion buffer brush

Have Kegel ion model B. Noticed the buffer brush rubbing up against the felt that's attached to the oil transfer assembly (the "door" you open to fill the tanks). This...

Preventative Maintenace - Brunswick A, Jets, A2 - Slow Machine - Semi Creepy Speed

I really liked the slower speed of Masternut but decided to go a little faster, (the M2SC Conversion - Mickey Mouse Semi Creepy Conversion LOL). Looking at the video on the...
                  Working...
                  X