Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programmable digital themostat

Do you guys think it is a worthwhile investment to buy digital themostats for our AC units so that in the hours that we are closed overnight we can set the thermostat's setting a little higher than the time when we are opened? We are closed on Mondays in the summer and our operating ours are reduced to 10.5 hrs a day during the week.

I think a few degrees difference in those hours will make a difference in the hydro bills. Then have the target indoor temperature switch about an hour before customer's come in. Any thoughts or comments on this? Suggestions?
    Nick

Absolutely! And you can use them to control the heat too. Some of them are "smart" thermostats that will learn that if you want it at 75 degrees when you open at 1 PM at what time it will need to come on. We also set our heat or AC to setback a good hour before our closing time. A good starting point is to set them for a 5 to 10 degree temperature rise/drop while in the setback period. I'm sure your energy supplier will have info for your area, and may even offer discounts, rebates or tax credits for energy saving devices.

Comment

No doubt about it! The center I worked at has them and they were programmed to come on at a certain time and go off at a certain time (summer only we were only open 9-5), then during the warmer months of the season the temp was raised overnight. IMO a great investment.
      "Hey, barkeep, whose leg do you have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"

Comment

Smart business, the 2nd highest controllable expense in a bowling center is utilities. You will need covers, that will help reduce unwanted button pushing! I try to keep temp set point @ 6 to 8 degrees higher over night, than our afternoon temp, so things do not get out of hand w/ humidity.

Comment

You will need to get a HVAC professional to get you the correct programmable thremometer

They can change cycle rates on how many times per hour the compressors can cycle and other settings

And yes - put a lockable cover over it

Comment

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/hone...rmostat/977126

Our HVAC people installed this one on one of our manual thermostats that died. I found the same one at home depot so my thoughts were to pick up 4 more of the same ones and then they will all be the same. We already have covers on our manual ones. .
            Nick

Comment

Make sure you get thermostats that can use remote temperature sensors.
              Place the remote sensor in the return ducting to sense the actual area temp, and you can put the thermostat wherever you want.
              Use locking covers, or use stats that have a keypad lockout feature, and always install them high enough that John Q Public cant reach them.

Comment

I had one with a new furnace and it did'nt go on and off with 1 degree diff. and it could'nt be changed so I pitched it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanick View Post

Our HVAC people installed this one on one of our manual thermostats that died. I found the same one at home depot so my thoughts were to pick up 4 more of the same ones and then they will all be the same. We already have covers on our manual ones. .

Those look like mine but be careful that no one trys to change the temps and press the HOLD button - it will keep the unit set at that temp and running until you "Unhold" it.

Marty - Pro Bowl West
                  56 Jap A-2's Qubica VDB's
                  2 Kustodian Walkers
                  http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/a2mechanic

Comment

Depending on what type of rooftop units you have, most have 2 stage AC and heating units. You must have the type of thermostat that can control 2 stages. This is why a lot of stats found at home centers won't work; they are designed for home or single stage units.

DJ

Comment

Spend the money and get a centralized controller that can be installed in a secure area with remote sensing capabilities for each zone. The last one I replaced was 3 stage heat, and 2 stage cool, it cost at the time about $300.00, and paid for it self in less than 3 months.

Johnstone Supply has a lot of controllers available.

Comment

Originally posted by jim_long View Post
                        Spend the money and get a centralized controller that can be installed in a secure area with remote sensing capabilities for each zone. The last one I replaced was 3 stage heat, and 2 stage cool, it cost at the time about $300.00, and paid for it self in less than 3 months.

Johnstone Supply has a lot of controllers available.
                        Jim do you have a make and model of what I would be looking for?

Originally posted by Mechanick View Post

The thermostat the HVAC people installed is different than the ones at Home Depot. Home depot's Honeywell model # was RTH6400D1018. The model of the honeywell thermostat we have here is TH6220D1002. They have these ones at a local electric supply for $95 each. I would need 4.
                        Nick

Comment

Here's the Johnstone catalog page for what I used......

http://catalogs.johnstonesupply.com/...l.asp?page=331

The item above is what I used because I had 3 stage heat and two stage cooling, it is at the bottom of the page

I'm guessing that you have four complete units that have 1 stage heat(furnace), and 1 stage cooling(A/C) per unit. Let me know if that's correct?

Comment

Originally posted by jim_long View Post

I'm guessing that you have four complete units that have 1 stage heat(furnace), and 1 stage cooling(A/C) per unit. Let me know if that's correct?
                            Sorry Jim, I am not too experienced with the HVAC. How would I know how many stages there are for my units?
                            Nick

Comment

If you were to go to unit and find where thermostat wire terminates, it would be labeled Y1, and Y2 for cool, with wires going to each. This usually means you have to compressors. For heat, it is normally labeled W, and it would have a 1 and 2 also. This is very general, and may apply to your purpose. Someone else may need to enlighten more, if is more complicated.

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse

phoenix rebuild

phoenix lane machine we got from another of our centers
                              seems like pms were not done in a long time
                              and these are just some of the pics

Ball accelerator

Hello, would this crack in the accelerator motor cause an issue. It's brand new and have one on the way but, it won't be here until next week. I have a pair down due to the motor...

Testing Link Belting "PowerTwist Drive"

Recently got my hands onto some meters of these: http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwi...Drive-A/13/4L/

At first let me tell you that they are pretty sturdy and very...

Ion buffer brush

Have Kegel ion model B. Noticed the buffer brush rubbing up against the felt that's attached to the oil transfer assembly (the "door" you open to fill the tanks). This...

Preventative Maintenace - Brunswick A, Jets, A2 - Slow Machine - Semi Creepy Speed

I really liked the slower speed of Masternut but decided to go a little faster, (the M2SC Conversion - Mickey Mouse Semi Creepy Conversion LOL). Looking at the video on the...
                              Working...
                              X