Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting motors from gearboxes

Evening all.

can I ask how those of us who have 90’s onwards split the combo & back end motors from the gearboxes when no copper grease is used on the shaft. I spent 3 hours the other day fighting with one and using loads of WD-40 and a hammer. Usually a few taps with the hammer and it comes off but this one was a beauty.

Peter

Yep.... came across an XLi BE motor that for love not money would NOT seperate from the gearbox. I thought at some point they were conjoined twins or something. Trying to pry them apart even snapped off a few of those little cooling fins. Got it after about 3 hours of preservering with it. But it made me soooooo.......
    AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

Sure does get you upset. Same thing with Nationals that nobody has taken care of.

Comment

Separation of a backend motor and gearbox is not a good use for WD-40. Use a penetrating fluid designed for that purpose like liquid wrench or PB Blaster.
        Regards,

Billy T
        bthompson@qubicaamf.us

Comment

I inherited a puller at the center I took over. It consists of a large steel ring with holes for bolting onto the bottom of the motor, and with three large screws that push against the mating flange on the gearbox (once you rotate the motor a little.)

Certainly beats prying the motor off (and risking bending the rotor shaft).

Works on both the FE and BE gearmotors.

On Nationals a trick we used in Reno was to lay a fine mill bastard file down the shaft on the rotor while it's running. Shaved only a couple of thousandths off the rotor and the ring on the mating flange. After this process he motors just slid right on and off..... we could actually swap a motor while the machine was on use between frames.

-- Larry

Comment

Glad you brought this subject up. Can you imagine having a motor issue during league and could not separate them? That's why this is a great project. Split them all apart, clean shafts and inside gearbox hole, lube shaft and hole with antiseize or your choice. The back end motors get so hot that even if you put antiseize on them, after the course of a year, they still need a couple of screwdrivers to pry apart.
            If it cant be fixed with a hammer, use a bowling pin.

Comment

Stalh's has a puller. Not sure of the fit on later motors.
              http://tuffyparts.com/tuffy/fieldpuller.html
              Will work with backend motors to has a notch for capacitor leads
              fieldpuller.jpg

Comment

I’m not to sure it would work. But if there was one for the 90’s version I’d definitely be investing in one. It would be cheaper than replacing screwdrivers all the time

Comment

Originally posted by Ausweegie View Post
                  I’m not to sure it would work. But if there was one for the 90’s version I’d definitely be investing in one. It would be cheaper than replacing screwdrivers all the time
                  Just measured ours and the inside diameter is 5 5/8" if the 90s motor is at least that small with any bump outs removed, you should be golden.
                  At Least I would hope.

Comment

The Stahl's puller is the one I have. It works. You have to remove the outboard capacitor to get it on the Franklin/Bluffton motors but it's very effective.

One small drawback on the 82/90 is you have to remove the FE gearmotors from the machine before you can get the puller on the motor (they're tucked into the front cross frame too far.. BE motors can be separated in the machine if you unbolt the wire channel at the chassis support.

-- Larry

Comment

The only other draw back to this plan is that Stahls don’t have a distributor in the UK so unfortunately this won’t happen for me.

Peter

Comment

Ausweegie Stuart Munnings at Embassy used to be the Stahls importer into the UK. I used to order items off him regularly. I would give him a call and see what he can do for you?
                        Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse