Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it’s just one of those days....

This a little of a vent post but

Had an FE gearmotor give up this past Sunday and spent most of Monday putting in a full rebuild kit (all three shaft assys, seals, etc.). The biggest fail was the key way on the rotor was toast, but had found a broken tooth on the intermediate (wormwheel) shaft.

Came back in Tuesday (day off) to get the unit back on and after pouring in a bottle of gear oil I discover I forgot to install the expansion plug on the bottom of the case.

Fix that.... fill up the gearbox again.... everything runs quiet and smooth.

Skip ahead to this morning and I get a call right before . “We had to move a team Tuesday night because the gearbox leaked onto the lane.”

Get to the center and sure enough there’s gear oil on the lane and the drip pan is full. Go back and grab a light so I can see where the leak is and just as I get back to the machine I spot the expansion plug sitting just off the lane with a dent in the dead center of it.

The worm shaft bolt had backed out and popped the expansion plug off.

I know when I reassembled the gearbox I put a liberal amount of Loctite 243 on the bolt threads (243 is like 242 but made to resist oil.). Even used an impact gun to tighten the bolt down. But for some reason the bolt still came loose.

So I guess I lose a whole day now figuring out how I’m going to fix this. At least I don’t need the lane this evening so I may dry everything out and let whatever I use as a threadlocker set up longer.

-- Larry

Well an update.....

It wasn’t the retaining bolt on the worm shaft bearing that came loose.

The snap ring holding the bearing in the case popped out causing the worm shaft to be pushed down under load until it forced the expansion plug off.

When I replaced the old bearing there were two shins under it and I just put them back in without thinking of checking to see if it was necessary. Turns out I could delete both shims with the new bearing.

So far everything is going back well. Got an oily mess to clean up but I’m leaving the gearbox off the marchine overnight to allow the gasket sealer on the expansion plug to cure before I subject any oil to it.
    -- Larry

Comment

Those expansion plugs are the biggest pain in the butt. Surely they could of come up with a better design. That oils not cheap just to pour it all over the lane

Comment

I wished they'd at least include the expansion plug with the BE seal kit. I've started going through all of my BE gearmotors because most leak and everyone I've been into so far the seals are all hard. You have to remove it anyway if you're going to replace the front wornshaft seal. I found one BE box where they just installed a new seal over the old one and what was left of the old one dangling on the wormshafft. If that had got into the wormwheel.......

The FE gearboxes mainly need the output shaft seals replaced. Although I had the o-ring go inside the intermediate shaft cover on one box. Both top bolts on the cover had broken off as well and I was surprised it held together like that.

​​​​​​​
        -- Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Ausweegie View Post
          Those expansion plugs are the biggest pain in the butt. Surely they could of come up with a better design. That oils not cheap just to pour it all over the lane
          In fact the new gearboxes for the XLi now have I believe a bolt on plate underneath removing the need for an expansion plug.
          AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

Originally posted by Pin_Head View Post

In fact the new gearboxes for the XLi now have I believe a bolt on plate underneath removing the need for an expansion plug.
            Had to go look at the portal.... I had the rev A manual, There's a Rev F manual that shows they did change from an expansion plug to a cover plate. Only problem with that is the cost of switching out the cases.
            -- Larry

Comment

Qamf should replace all gearboxes for free but i don't expect that action soon, hehe. Till then put a tini plastic bag around your gearbox : it won't stop the plug from popping out but it sure stops the oil mess on the lane.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse