Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweep drift follows omega chassis

8270 omega tec chassis, sweep drifts, follows chassis thanks in advance... plugs look good...

Re: sweep drift follows omega chassis

Check pins in c1 plug on chassis.

Could be a bad contactor, or perhaps the wires going into the contactor need tightened up/replaced?
    Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Comment

Does the Omega Teck have contactors??
      So it goes.

Comment

The only contactors are on the short cycle board if he has that and they are only for sweep reverse
        It's so quiet here you can hear a pin drop!

Comment

First stupid question... is it actually an Omega-Tek complete chassis, or an SS chassis upgraded with an Omega-Tek board? A lot of people on here refer to the upgraded SS-Chassis as an Omega-Tek.

Unless it's a burned circuit trace, bad connector, or a broken wire, it's probably going to be contactor-related.

In either case... if it's an upgraded SS, check the lower contact pads on the Sweep contactor for wear, burn marks, and carbon fouling.

If it's an Omega-Tek complete chassis, or an upgraded SS with solid-state contactors, one side of the Sweep triac package may have failed. The triac that controls "run" appears to be working, but the "brake" side might be burned out. I never really messed around with Omega-Tek chassis, but if they use anything like the regular solid-state contactors, it is possible for one side of the circuit to malfunction... the only thing that can be done is to replace the solid-state contactor...they are usually sealed and there's nothing in them that can really be "repaired".
          <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Sorry guys they're SS converts... I was kind of stuck at work when I origionally posted this...

The sweep is coasting towards 1st and 2nd gaurd, I've swapped out the boards and the C1/C2A plugs look fine as I said before...

I'm probably just going to change the contacts tomorrow, they're the new plastic wrapped type contacts where you can't tell how the pads look, so I'll have to convert them back to the classic style (which I prefer anyhow)...

Comment

Some closed contactors if they're low-rated (12A or less) die in the brake contacts early.

I guess I'd just try to eliminate C1 pins and wiring to the NC contacts first before going through the process of changing the contactor (in case it wasn't the contactor).

Comment

I have also ran an Omega-tek chassis, the solid black one. It has table and sweep contactors like the S/S.

Also check for bad pins in the C2a plug also.
                Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Comment

Yeah well I was going to go through some of the slightly burnt pins today, but I got stuck on the short side for 3 hours or so, so I didn't get a chance...

I'm pretty sure it's the contactors as when you push the button the seem as though they have no resistance...

Comment

thaas, did someone convert the contactors to the plug in style relays like the M relay?
                    Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
                    804-240-4982

Comment

Originally posted by John Isbell
                      thaas, did someone convert the contactors to the plug in style relays like the M relay?
                      Ugh... there's a mistake... ice cubes don't have enough beef in the contact pads or the contact pad arms to handle the start/stop of those motors.

Even the big, fat ole' Allen-Brad contactors were a little on the light side for me. We have a couple machines that were converted from Allen-Bradleys to an enclosed-contact (not solid state) type 'motor starting' contactor made by FURNAS, and they have held up the best so far in terms of longevity and problem-free operation. We had a couple enclosed-contact GE contactors that were the pits... they lasted about 6 months to a year and started causing problems.
                      <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

The grey Allen Bradleys Stahls 70's sells are the bomb! These are the only contactors I use these days...they had a nice solid "thump" when they pull in. I haven't had one fail in over 5 years. The little blue contactors that AMF sends out SUCK. I've seen those fail within 6 months...

The drifting has to be in the lower contacts of the chassis. Have you checked the machine end of the C1 plug? I'm not sure what you think of as a decent pin..no offense, but I eyeball 'em with a magnifying glass - you'd be amazed at the crap you see.

Also, if you are using the solid state type contactors. I have heard from a ton of guys that these work great in the table circuit, but they tend to drift in the sweep circuit. I've never bothered to look into it myself. But I have repaired 5-6 chassis with these replacements and have put one of the grey A&B contactors in and they were fine. On the after market replacement contacts for the old style allen bradleys, in a word...they suck. They are made of decent materials, but they are very sloppy compared to the originals. Not sure exactly what it is, but I gave up on them. (use the grey A&B's!) Also, check the wires/connections to the contactor. One may be loose or burnt.

One other thing, swap out the M & M2 relays with those from a good chassis. I see relays that are almost as old as ME in a chassis. Another thing you can do is the "twist" test. When the machine is trying to run the sweep, give a lil twist to the M or M2 relay.. This will usually indicate a bad relay socket.

Good luck & let us know what it turned to be!

Cheers,
                        Jon
                        I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

The boards and relays were the first thing to get swapped out...

To me a "Decent" pin is one with no corrosion or nicks in them, I don't get so close as to look at them with a magnifying glass, but it's likely not the plug either side...

We have the earlier style A/B contactors in place (though with 72 lanes we have about 4 different style contacts running, including the new gray ones which are about as sweet as can be) so the contacts are suspected to be on their last leg...

I'd be willing to bet as I've had the day off that they've already been replaced so we'll know tomorrow...

By the way guys thanks for all the support, you guys are great...

Comment

I agree Jon that the enclosed grey A&B contactors are great ... as long as you use the right ones.

Initially we were using the 100C-12K200 because that's what everyone else had been using for years. And yet, many guys were complaining because they didn't last anywhere near as long as the old black open type.

Then I did some research and found that the "12" in the part number represents 12Amps. Ah-ha! So, I ordered some 100C-16K200s and have had no problem ever since.

The moral of this story ... sometimes it's a good thing to question the things that you do just because everyone else seems to do it.

Ray
                            (edited to fix typo)
                            Ray Jordan
                            Cybernetic Solutions/tenpintec
                            Australia

Comment

A bit of an ironic twist to add to this topic,

We ordered two or three brand new contacts with our parts order, and aparantly they were put in on the day we recieved them (none of them were put into this chassis)

I have spare classic style, and I have the sheet to jump them over, but I'm color-blind and I'm not sure as this is the perfect job for me...

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse