X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finger cell problem..!! please help

ok heres whats happening

fingercells arent picking up pins...

when they go to pick up the pins the actuator arm seems to spring back some and drop them or not pick them up at all

i have checked absolutely everything i can think of...done a full fingercell set up. changed respot rods (incase it was bent), wireways, even the pawl

nothing seems to work and its really doing my head in

the thing is that when i run the table with no pins it seems to be fine...everything looks like it should...but when theres even one pin there then the actuator arm swings back

obviously the cells are opening a little bit through the weight of even one pin...

i just cant figure out why..!!

help please its doing my nut in =]
    Im not afraid to die, i just dont want to be there when it happens.!

Re: finger cell problem..!! please help

Well, this shows that your cell assemblies are not locking on the pin-pin slips through the fingers causing a malfunction. Do it this way:
    At table station zero (home) position, manually move the respot cell linkage to close all cells as in respot condition. Using a 1/4" open end wrench and Special Tool (ST #070-006-519) gauge, adjust for 2" width between fingers by either turning in or out the adjustting screw. When doing this, I always disconnect all the cell assemblies except the #7 and reconnect each of the cells one at a time to make the adjustment. When done with all the cell assemblies, spot all 10 pins and manually cycle the table by pressing on the table contactor on the MP chassis and let go when the pins are hanging up. Now, unplug the sweep and table motors and go under the table and check make sure the grippers(fingers) are holding the pins at the top most band on the pin. If not, then you can make the fine adjustment by pushing the pin up and hold it with the fingers and adjust the screw out a little then let go off the pin and check where the fingers are now in relation to the band. Do the the same with the other cell assemblies. Hope this procedure helps in resolving your predicament.

Comment

Have you checked the jam bolt on the cam link bearing assembly. If the cells are all adjusted good and they are opening and closing good but not picking up the pins. It could be that the cells are not locking in totally on the fingers making them slip by also. I usually loosen the nut on the jam bolt and screw the bolt in 5-6 turns. I then close the cells until they are bottomed out. Putting slight pressure on the top of the cam finger screwing the bolt back out until it just makes contact with the stop. I then turn it out 3 1/2- 4 turns and lock it down. Double check your pawl clearance again and try and pick up pins again.

Comment

As well as the above, check the nuts holding the ball linkage on your respot cells. It sounds as if one is catching your wireways. Right where the adjutable links connect. The wireways will bend over time especially with some pin jambs. As it was said above, just a little spring back can cause the respot fingers to not lock in place.
        Another thing that can cause the nuts to catch the wireways is missing bolts in the respot cells, make sure all 4 bolts holding the respot cells to the table are there.
        And last, check the respot arms again where there closing. They close in differnt positions with pins in then pins out. If you use the "U" shaped ends on the tip of the respot fingers, are any missing. The roll pin can catch the frame of the cell and bind the cell and again the cells will close in differnt position with pins in then pins out. It only takes one, and all 10 need to be checked for this.
        Sim
        If its SIMS, its only a game.
        Just hit reset.

Comment

Look at the nut on top of the wireway over the 10 pin. Manually close them and see if the nut is hitting the mounting post. It can be bent back down (carefully) to clear it.
          This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

You may also want to check the respot slide-block. The is the thing that connects the 1,2,4,7 wireway to the bell crank and makes the cells open and close in the first place. If the two screws are loose, it will not open and close all the way, and definitely not lock when picking up pins.
            3 leftover nuts and 5 leftover washers... but it's running.

Comment

9 times out of 10 when I have respot cells not picking up pins, yet they smoothly close all the way when actuated by hand…it is a bent RSC stud.

A bent stud is nearly impossible to see. By disconnecting one cell at a time and trying to pick up a full set usually finds the culprit.

Comment

U might also check your main pivot arms along the 1,3,6,10 line. One might be bent far enough down causing one of the wire way rails to hang up on top of a cell or even bind just enough to not let it lock on the pins all the way. Use a heavy crow bar and lightly twist and pri the pivot arm back up to level with the other ones.

Comment

Perhaps have a look at the front end assemblies. Check the hanger and stud and springs. Make sure the re-spot arm has good contact with the cam, and check the rod isn't bent.

As Traic says, more than likely it will be a stud for one of the cells.
                  On particular narrowing down the problem things to do..... you can disconnect all the fingers from the wire-ways and then move the wire-way by itself. It should slide very easily! If any resistance or stiffnes then you have a bent wire-way stud, or related linkage problem.
                  Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Comment

I dont know about anyone else, but on slightly mangled wireways I will sometimes take them off and add a washer between the threaded stud and the bottom of said wireway. You only gain about 1/16" extra clearance between the underside of wireway and the tops of the cells but it helps when theyre old and the victim of a random pin in the table.
                    The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

I know I've done it here and there, it's a good little trick. Sometimes that 1/16th" is all ya need! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                      All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

another thing to check if not able to get the adjustment on the respot cells is make sure your table is level front to back. had a machine would not lock on pins no matter what was done. found the table out of level and adjusted the stabilizer rods and the adjustments went right into place.

Comment

well thankyou all for your help...after checking absolutely everything on the table including pivot arms, bolts and every other nut and bolt on the entire setup.....

it turned out to be the bolt on the front end assembly holding the 2 big springs wasnt in tight enough....

after tightening everything ran fine =]

thankyou all for your help and i now know a lot more about the cell setup than i did before so its not been a big waste of time lol...

plus we found a few other things wrong with them that im sure would have caused problems in the long run =]

once again thankyou all for your help

moose

Comment

btw it was the head mech who spotted it not me lol

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse