Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pin wipers

Hello All,

To my surprise, I haven't seen any talk about pin wiper technology here in the forum. Do any of you use pin wipers?

On the 8230's we have a piece of sheet metal fabricated into what looks like a tunnel mounted on the top of the distributors. As the pins pass through they are wiped by a towel held in position by a spring-loaded paper clip bolted to the top of the tunnel. During the busy season we flip the towel daily to a clean side and treat them with our secret solution. The wipers collected quite a bit of dirt and also help improve pin action. They are somewhat of a nuisance though, pins that have any battle scars snag the cloth wiper and cause pile-ups.

In other threads I have read where some of you feel that lane oil is getting on pins and causing problems during spotting. Clean, dry, absorbent pin wipers could possibly help under this condition.

Any other thoughts on pin wipes…….?

------------------
    Chris
    Universal Revolutions

Re: pin wipers

In our center (32 lanes of 70s) I used to use "diapers" for my turn pans. They work very well. I think they are the same ones that Scripps sells, but I think you can get them just about anywhere. There's a metal reinforced loop that hooks right over the devil horns on the pan. Not only do they help wipe the pins, they prevent them from rolling too hard off the pan and off the distributor.
    Problem is that I had to take them off due to the fact that I no longer have a washer/dryer set up.
    But, once my washer/dryer is back up and running, they will go right back on!

Kat
    "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

i dont like the tunnel on the dist idea(too many pin jams awating) .....how about a contraption that cleans the pins as they go up the pin wheel...mounted to the same bolts as the kidney

Comment

Hey...Im a brunswick guy, but i would have a comment to make. Bull-Dog...whats your secret solution. We use a pin wiper on brunswick machines and putting a solution on the wiper to help clean the pins might help depending on what it is. Share the "wealth".

Steve
        TSM & TSM Training Development
        Main Event Entertainment
        480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

The secret solution? You might be surprised. And you might think I'm craze or maybe a cheater, but I had my orders. The secret solution is simply lane oil. We learned to use it sparingly. Over kill was almost always a disaster. If we used too much we would have trouble spotting pins, also the pins standing on the deck would sometimes slide, rather than wobble or fall over. Watch the pin action, with slick pins you will see them travel across the deck and become messenger pins rather than skidding to a stop. One would think that the oil would carry to the pin deck, but we cleaned the decks often. Also my manager didn't allow gobs of oil on the lanes, so carry down was not a huge issue.

Absolutely correct coors…. Pin jams are us. If it was up to me, I think I might have tossed all them tunnels out the window. To make thing worse, the pin wiper tunnel thing was right next to the pin counter. Double trouble. You've got me thinking about your idea of a contraption coming off the kidney bolts. I haven't actually seen a 8270 in years, but I remember the kidney. Sounds like this gizmo isn't going to be able to use gravity to keep the wiper on the pin. Springs and things? Hummm?

------------------
          Chris
          Universal Revolutions

Comment

how about the contraption starting half way up the pinwheel and running to the drop off. anchor it to the kidney bolts...with two curved rails running parallel under the pinwheel...with the cloth over the rails...may need some springs...the motor will pull the pin thru the wipe...every so often you could advance the cloth.

Comment

i've used pin cloths for about 16 years & hardly ever have a problem with them.mine are fixed to the dissy tray by two 1/2 circle clamps threaded through the cloth.the only time they would cause a pile up is if you had a pin with a bit sticking out the side which is easily fixed. with the two clips i can adjust the amount of "sag" in the cloth to give the best wipe without stalling the pin.
              just my experience.
              cobow
              Si Senor, Derdago, Forte Lorez inaro.
              Demainte Lorez, Demis Trux,
              Foolacous Andens Andux.

Comment

I love modifications as much as the next guy (maybe not Deadwood ) but this sounds like it may be more trouble than it's worth. How 'bout just keeping the carpets clean, or am I just being too simple minded?
                Dutch

Comment

In the early 60's, we had a monthly cleaning service that supplied us with covered wagon downshute cloths and dirt drop catchers. They also supplied our carpet cleaning towels! The towel was made of a heavy duty cotton material that zipped together around the cushion weldment tube. We would stick a few extra pins inside the towel and it would usually rotate itself around the tube keeping the carpet clean. It was about three feet wide and it hung down and touched the carpet. The pins would go through to the pin wheel and also got cleaned at the same time. We lived with this setup for about a year! (82/30's)
                  If you really want a quick pin cleaning method, take a length of bx cable(no wires) and stick it over the pins on the distributor pan, forming an arch. Hang a folded mechanics wiper over the bx and use a spring type clothes pin to keep the wiper in place.( works on 30's and 70's ) We did this for a few years. It can't be damaged and it's cheap. Clean carpet brushes and an occasional damp mop over the carpet, usually keeps everything fairly clean.
                  "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
                  Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

yeah dutch...i too think the same...but ya never know...maybe bull-dog can make pin-cleaning practical.

besides, bulldog asked for any other thoughts...you know i always have too many.....LOL...maybe one of them might be the one he's been lookin for...lol

Comment

Just an FYI...i still use carpet brushes.....so pin cleaning is not that big a deal

Comment

make the cloth 3inches wide by Xft long....every week or so you can crank it 1/4 of a pin wheel's length

Comment

Interesting suggestion coors. Conceivable by viewing your picture that you have posted on 01-09-2000 in the thread, Topic: Pinspotter pictures. Nice pics by the way.

I also was wondering the same thing as Dutch. Is it worth it? Do you think there would be a market for such a critter? What about the diapers, ever try them, is Kat right about them helping the pin orientation. Sounds like diapers would be easy to change, and no contraptions to deal with.

Is wiping really a good thing or a waste of time? Personally, I think they do add versatility to the function of the machine. Controlling the condition of the surface of the pins, I believe, can improve pin carry. And if you have oily pins caused from carry down, wiping some off could be beneficial. I think coors hit the nail on the head though. The word is "practical".

Sounds like cowboy likes his wipers. Do you put anything on the wipers cowboy? Or just clean them? Is this a homemade device you're using? I like the adjustability idea. I can't quite picture what you're saying though.
                          Is it another tunnel only like a miniature ball wiper? Or more like the diaper? Are the cloths easy to change? What, in your opinion do you see as benefits to using pin wipers, anything much for drawbacks?

Oh yeah…. One more thing about the diapers. I read in other threads that noise is an issue. Diappies on pans would be slightly quieter, wouldn't it? Do yours help in the noise department, cowboy and Kat?

And amfpinboy with the arc idea is great! Not a big investment to try new things.

------------------
                          Chris
                          Universal Revolutions

Comment

Turn-pan diapers are really worth it. They do help a little on the pinging from the pan itslef, but do not reduce noise too much.

It sucks not having them on now, but what can I do...I have two runs (64) waiting to be cleaned and put back into action.

As for anyone telling you these diapers cause jams, they're full of *****. If you're machines are adjusted right (OK, where's deadwood, LOL!) they'll work fine.
                            And, no, I don't sell them so I'm not trying to push a product...just giving some positive feedback.

Kat

[This message has been edited by Kat (edited 08-17-2000).]
                            "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Thanks for the reply Kat. I'm not looking to sell anything here either. Just trying to exchange some ideas, that's all. If we stumble onto something, that we all can benefit by, that would be great. I never tried diapers but they sound great. No one here has put them down, but I have had some trouble with the tunnels.

------------------
                              Chris
                              Universal Revolutions

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse