Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowl-Mor Control Box

I am having some difficulty repairing a couple of control boxes. Would the contents of these be considered a trade secret?
    Trevor Harvey

Re: Bowl-Mor Control Box

Hey tharvey! Fellow Nova Scotian here! What centre are you at?

Comment

Hey, I was born in Halifax, does that count for anything?
      Bobbie Bees

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbie_Bees
        Hey, I was born in Halifax, does that count for anything?
        Everytime I hear of Halifax it always reminds me of one of my favorite folk ballads....the Dalesman's Litany.

The Dalesman's Litany Lyrics
        Christy Moore

It's hard when folks can't get their work where they've been bred and born
        When I was young I used to think I'd bide my time 'mid the roots and the corn
        But I've been forced to flee the town so here's my litany
        From Hull and Halifax and Hell good Lord deliver me

When I was courting Mary Anne the auld squire he said one day
        I've got no room for wedded folk choose to wed or stay
        I could not leave the girl I loved so town we had to flee

I've worked in Leeds and Huddersfield where I've addled honest brass
        In Bradford, Keightley, Rotherham, I've kept my bairns and lass
        I've travelled all three ridings round and once I've been to sea

I've been through Sheffield lanes at night 'twere just like being in hell
        The furnaces thrust out tongues of flame that roared like wind o'er the fell
        I've sammed up coal in Barnsley pit with muck up to my knee

I've seen grey fog creep o'er Leeds Brig as thick as Bastille soup
        I've been where folks are stowed away like rabbits in a coup
        I've seen snow fall on Bradford Beck as black as ebony

But now my children all have flown to the country I'll go back
        There'll be forty miles of heathery moor 'twixt me and the coal pit slack
        And oft at night as I sit round the fire I'll think of the misery
        From Hull and Halifax and Hell good lord deliver me
        Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

I wouldn't think any of it would be a trade secret. What model boxes do you have? Do they still have the relays or have they been upgraded to circuit boards? I have 6 Model D with relays and 2 that I think are Model C with the circuit boards. I take care of the relay ones myself and have the tech who services the electronics of our video games deal with the circuit boards.

Comment

These have circuit boards, 1 main circuit board & TRIACS mounted with fuse holders in an aluminum box. The problem I have is that the chips have no numbers on them. 1 is 8 pin, the other 2 are 16 pin, and 4 optocouplers.

I help Wayne out at the superbowl in Sackville.
            Trevor Harvey

Comment

The triac controllers are probably optic couplers and can be traced to the gate of the triac. The other ICs are anyones guess without numbers. A schematic would be helpful, but then you probably wouldn't be posting, huh?
              This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

I heard a rumor years ago that one guy who was making circuit board conversions made the ones for each center a little different so people wouldn't be able to swap them.

Comment

Mr. John Renner is the man you're talking about. He passed away awhile ago. There may be some truth to that rumour, but I can't say for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by mr.badwrench
                    I heard a rumor years ago that one guy who was making circuit board conversions made the ones for each center a little different so people wouldn't be able to swap them.
                    ill second that. i cant take a board from my center and use it in our sister center.

Comment

Can anyone with a version of these boards send or post pictures? Do the chips on them have any numbers on them? I am thinking that these boards must at least be similar, so many of the parts would be the same. Mabey between us we can figure out what the main components are, to allow easier repair for all.
                      Trevor Harvey

Comment

Years ago one could purchase a device that had ZIF sockets on the front of it that were in the different configurations such as 14 pin DIP, 16 pin DIP , etc. And as long as the unknown IC you were identifying was either CMOS, TTL or DTL the device wold tell you what your unknown chip was.

Depending on how complicated this Bowl-Mor machine is, it might actually make more sense to replace the innards with an off the shelf Programmable Logic Controller.
                        Schnider Electric has what is called a Zelio Programmable Relay.
                        One of the units has 8 inputs / 6 outputs and can be programmed to run the outputs based on the conditions of the inputs.

Schnider Zelio PLC

The best thing about going at it this way is that no one can hold you hostage. You get your Zelio PLCs, you write your program, and away you go. And no, programming these things isn't hard. The ZelioSoft software basically allows you to use building blocks to build the logic ladder. Then you run simulations on your PC and once you're satisfied that your programming will work, you download it in to the Zelio PLC and Bob's you uncle.
                        Bobbie Bees

Comment

Originally posted by tharvey
                          Can anyone with a version of these boards send or post pictures? Do the chips on them have any numbers on them? I am thinking that these boards must at least be similar, so many of the parts would be the same. Mabey between us we can figure out what the main components are, to allow easier repair for all.
                          http://www.bowltech.com/forums/showt...629#post403629
                          I just uploaded diagrams of the original wiring for the Model D electrical box with relays and pilot relays. The electronic ones I have use mini relays to replace the pilot relays and power transistors to replace the big relays but they are Model C boxes.

Comment

Because there are some reading this that have never seen one of these pinsetters operate I will add the following from the training materials I made for new pinchasers.

Candlepin cycle.
                            The cycle of a Bowl Mor candlepin pinsetter is started by the closing of a switch, the bowlers reset button, the mechanics reset button on the pinsetter electrical box, or a relay in the automatic scoring.
                            When this signal is received, the sweep motor starts the sweep and the pin conveyor moving. While the sweep is removing any pins left on the pin deck, the pin conveyor loads 10 pins into the tubes in the tube deck. While the sweep is on the return trip, a roller on the sweep frame contacts and grounds the tube start switch. The sweep continues until it touches the sweep limit switch, high on the sweep frame, opens the circuit, and stops.
                            When the tube start circuit is closed by the sweep, the tube motor starts the tube deck moving down. Just before the tube deck reaches bottom, the tube latch is moved up, and the latch finger assembly moves to the rear, releasing the pins from the tubes. As the tube deck moves upward, the wedge shaped projection on the latch finger assembly contacts a block under the upper deck and moves the assembly forward until the tube latch closes. Just before tube deck reaches its maximum height, a cam opens the tube limit switch, stopping the tube motor with the tube deck up.
                            The sweep pushes balls and pins into the turntable behind the pin deck. A divider board across the turntable has a notch to let ball go to the rear, but moves them to the ball exit and then to the ball lift as they move forward. Pins pass under the divider board, slide onto the pinlift plate, and roll into the pinlift.
                            The pinlift moves pins up to the top of the pinsetter and over, dropping the into slots where they wait for the pusher. When the last pin drops into place, it moves the upper #10 pocket switch to the side and then drops onto the lower #10 pocket switch and the pinlift stops. The #10 pocket switches are wired in parallel so in normal operation either can send the signal, but if the pinsetter is shut off with 10 pins ready to be pushed out, the lower one will be the only one used.
                            The pusher waits until it has the signal that there are 10 pins ready and until the tube limit switch has moved so it won’t put 20 pins on the pin conveyor. After the pusher has moved the pins onto the pin conveyor, it opens the pusher limit switch and stops.
                            If for any reason the pusher has not delivered pins to the pin conveyor, closing the reset button circuit will cause the red X in the masking unit to light up, but the cycle will not start until pins are ready to be set.
                            There is also a circuit that prevents the pinsetter from being turned off by the scoring or managers control from the time the pinsetter gets the cycle signal until the cycle is finished and the pusher delivers 10 pins to the pin conveyor.

All relays have 24 volt AC control circuits and 24 volt coils. All switches are either normally open or normally closed to ground. The transformer secondary circuit has a fuse on the side that is grounded.

Comment

Hi Mr.Badwrench.
                              I just read your explanation of machine operation and the machine sounds very straight forward.
                              I don't know how much you're paying for your logic boards to be repaired / custom made.
                              The Zelio controller that I made mention of typically sells for around $200.00.
                              Programming the unit isn't all that complicated.

I wish I was out on the east coast cause I'd love to stick my nose into a project like this.
                              Bobbie Bees

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse

phoenix rebuild

phoenix lane machine we got from another of our centers
                              seems like pms were not done in a long time
                              and these are just some of the pics

Ball accelerator

Hello, would this crack in the accelerator motor cause an issue. It's brand new and have one on the way but, it won't be here until next week. I have a pair down due to the motor...

Testing Link Belting "PowerTwist Drive"

Recently got my hands onto some meters of these: http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwi...Drive-A/13/4L/

At first let me tell you that they are pretty sturdy and very...

Ion buffer brush

Have Kegel ion model B. Noticed the buffer brush rubbing up against the felt that's attached to the oil transfer assembly (the "door" you open to fill the tanks). This...

Preventative Maintenace - Brunswick A, Jets, A2 - Slow Machine - Semi Creepy Speed

I really liked the slower speed of Masternut but decided to go a little faster, (the M2SC Conversion - Mickey Mouse Semi Creepy Conversion LOL). Looking at the video on the...
                              Working...
                              X