Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QAMF string machine

A new family fun center opened across town and they have 6 lanes of QAMF string machines. Anyone ever see these machines in action?
    let me be myself

Originally posted by billman View Post
    A new family fun center opened across town and they have 6 lanes of QAMF string machines. Anyone ever see these machines in action?
    Yes a place near me has two and they suck ,no pin action as the pins sound like solid plastic and the strings interfere with game play, i would not bowl on them again
    Nate Jackson

Comment

The pins used on these machines are the same pins used in free fall machines, except with a slight modification for the string.

One could argue that the strings do slightly interfere with pin action, (personally I feel they do), but here's the thing..... if this place is a "just for fun no leagues or competition" then string machines would be ideal for them and would be more cost effective for them to operate and maintain. If, on the other hand, they plan to host tournaments or leagues then there could be issues with serious bowlers and 'natural' pin action, IMO.

Comment

Actually, the pins with string setters are not the same as for free fall. They are solid plastic, same weight and dimensions, but they do sound a bit different. You could not use the same timber core pins as the front pin would get destroyed very quickly. Not like in free fall were the pins get mixed up, the strings put always the same pin into the same location. However, you are right, the strings do sometime interfere with the pins and on very rear instances pull a standing pin over. But on the other hand, the strings sometimes restrict the hit pin from spinning and therefore knock less pins down. I honestly don't know which system has a higher pinfall but from my experience there is very little difference. I don't know how it could be done, but I would like to have both systems next to each other and see the outcome over a period of time.

Comment

Not so convinced about full sizes pin string machines for adults bowling on regulation lanes, but the duck pin size and the 15' length are perfect for kids.
          This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Originally posted by Kegelmaster View Post
            Actually, the pins with string setters are not the same as for free fall. They are solid plastic, same weight and dimensions, but they do sound a bit different. You could not use the same timber core pins as the front pin would get destroyed very quickly. Not like in free fall were the pins get mixed up, the strings put always the same pin into the same location. However, you are right, the strings do sometime interfere with the pins and on very rear instances pull a standing pin over. But on the other hand, the strings sometimes restrict the hit pin from spinning and therefore knock less pins down. I honestly don't know which system has a higher pinfall but from my experience there is very little difference. I don't know how it could be done, but I would like to have both systems next to each other and see the outcome over a period of time.
            That is a very interesting ides, I would be curious to see what the difference is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tablejam View Post
              That is a very interesting ides, I would be curious to see what the difference is.
              I'm curious too. My belief is that the freefall machines would score higher over the string machines. There's a better chance of developing messenger pins in the freefall machines.

Comment

They are great for the small fun time centre for sure because they are so cost effective and so much easier to maintain, however, you cannot use them for any serious leagues or tournaments even if you wanted to. String machines are not sanctioned for the game of 10 pin.

Comment

I love these machines. I work on them and even bowl practice on them. Honestly, there is very little string interference if any at all. An understanding of the machines and how the strings are just as loose as the pins for pin action, is definitely something to learn. The strings are designed in length to reach the furthest point in the pit without tension.
                  This is probably the easiest machine to work on as well as maintain. I have several String Machine customers and I highly recommend them for Private residences, colleges, universities, churches, fun centers, etc... Many of these installations are short lane installs. And yes, the pins are the same as regular 10-pins. As mentioned before, only vertical and horizontal holes were drilled in the head to meet and the string is inserted from the top and comes out the side where a knot is made. The horizontal hole is tapered so the knot will not come back out of the pin.
                  "Efficiency is, doing better what is already being done!"
                  Pinsetter Technical Services 214-505-7663

Comment

Interesting, plastic pins? I was talking recently to the QAMF guys who showed me a video on his iPhone the recent string pinspotter install they did, he told me they are timber pins exactly like regular pins and as TJ said only modified for use with the string??
                    AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kegelmaster View Post
                      Actually, the pins with string setters are not the same as for free fall. They are solid plastic, same weight and dimensions, but they do sound a bit different.
                      Kegelmaster, Yes they are the same as free fall! Just depends on what the owner wants to use. The 4 centers I service with the string machines (both QAMF/TMS and Brunswick) are using the full size, wooden pins as in any 10-pin alley. One center (a 15 lane center) uses the AMFLITE and the other three (a 6 lane, 4-lane and 2-lane) are using Brunswick pins.
                      FYI... The 15 lane is not a typo. This center has 15 lanes in North Dallas.

Comment

Hi Lonnie, this is interesting as I have never seen or used standard pins in string-setters. I suppose that there is nothing in the way for using them. Maybe you can answer some questions to me; how is the rope attached to the pin? The same way by feeding it through a hole from the top of the pin and then into a larger hole that is drilled across the pin to hold and hide the knot? Can you purchase such pins readily or do you have to dill them yourself? And what is he lifespan of those pins?
                        The other question that I have - I know what machines Brunswick uses, but what string-setter is AMF using?
                        I am based in Australia and we have currently a few Tenpin centres looking at replacing the old free-fall with string-setters. Purely for costs of upkeep.
                        I would appreciate your replay.

Comment

Kegelmaster, as I mentioned above, the 15 lane center has the QAMF/TMS String Machines and they are using the AMF Amflite pins. With these machines I mentioned, it really does not matter who's pins they use (AMF, Brunswick, Vulcan, Duramid, etc...) as they have the same specs for 10-pin. Yes, they are actually factory drilled when ordered for these machines, with the hole in the top of the pin and the larger tapered hole in the side for the knot. The life span should be about the same although I suspect the head of the pin may incur premature wear and/or cracks as the drilled holes would weaken the integrity of the head of the pin. I haven't had this happen to me yet, but it's just my opinion though. I am currently working on a possibility to service up to four (short lane) centers in the Houston area with 4-lanes each of the Brunswick String-setters. These are also using the standard wood Brunswick Pins. Also just FYI, for the record, Brunswick's String Setter is pretty much a copy of the Funk String Setter, but that is another discussion all together.

Comment

Lonnie, I would think that since the same set of pins is always used with a string setter that their "average rated life" would be reduced, as compared to a freefall machine using two sets of pins.

Comment

Originally posted by Tablejam View Post
                              Lonnie, I would think that since the same set of pins is always used with a string setter that their "average rated life" would be reduced, as compared to a freefall machine using two sets of pins.
                              Good point but since these String Pin centers don't have the play of most larger houses with leagues, with the exception of possible neck wear and damage, these pins may last 5 to 10 years instead of having to be replaced every two to three years. Just depends on the play it gets.
                              I fully understand where you were coming from. With 20 pins and the rotation of use with 10 pins per frame in the free fall, you would think the String Pins would wear quicker being used every frame. Now, look at this way also... The pins in the string machine only get pulled up through the head with the true tension being at the neck of the pin where the string is tied in a knot. The free fall pins have to endure the punishment of hard metal/steel machinery components during every cycle, receiving nicks, chips, and possible belt burns of which will virtually never happen in a string machine.

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse

phoenix rebuild

phoenix lane machine we got from another of our centers
                              seems like pms were not done in a long time
                              and these are just some of the pics

Ball accelerator

Hello, would this crack in the accelerator motor cause an issue. It's brand new and have one on the way but, it won't be here until next week. I have a pair down due to the motor...

Testing Link Belting "PowerTwist Drive"

Recently got my hands onto some meters of these: http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwi...Drive-A/13/4L/

At first let me tell you that they are pretty sturdy and very...

Ion buffer brush

Have Kegel ion model B. Noticed the buffer brush rubbing up against the felt that's attached to the oil transfer assembly (the "door" you open to fill the tanks). This...

Preventative Maintenace - Brunswick A, Jets, A2 - Slow Machine - Semi Creepy Speed

I really liked the slower speed of Masternut but decided to go a little faster, (the M2SC Conversion - Mickey Mouse Semi Creepy Conversion LOL). Looking at the video on the...
                              Working...
                              X