Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventative Maintenance - Brunswick Selenium Rectifier "A's"

With the help of James and exMech, I converted my old Jet Back rectifiers to a Silicon Bridge Rectifier. Most of my old ones were 60 years old. The magnetic clutches were changed out 20 -25 years ago. The original ones were two piece with no bearing in it. I went with a "heavy" rectifier - 50 Amp, 1000 volt, (Tim the Toolman approach). They were $5.70 from Newark so I spent the big bucks. Plan on doing this only once hopefully. DC output voltage is a little higher - 106 V DC with 240 Volt input. Amp draw is around 0.35 on the AC side. NOTE ! - these machines switch the AC side through the X-C micro switch so there is No Capacitor. Used a hole left over from when I converted my old AB Contactors. Wanted it a little lower in the box to dissipate heat and allowed the original wires to reach with no strain, (and I was to lazy to drill another hole). Used heat paste behind it for more heat dissipation. Simple schematic is included.

Rectifier 2 C.jpgSchematic Bridge Rectifier.pdf Rectifier NTE 53016_20.pdf
    Attached Files
    Everything has to be Somewhere !!

Nice...
    Always remember rule #3,(Don't forget rule #1).Rule #1,see rule #3......

Comment

What kind of contactor is below rectifier?

Comment

Originally posted by deemb View Post
        What kind of contactor is below rectifier?
        Anything like these: https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/c-30-...-starters.aspx

Throw an overload in there and you got it made!

https://www.google.com/search?q=single+phase+motor+contactor+with+overloa d+24+volt&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS747US747&oq=single+phase +motor+contactor+with+overload+24+volt&aqs=chrome. .69i57.27225j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Comment

Contact 1 C.jpg Fuji Contact 2 C.jpgContact 3 C.jpgContact 4 C.jpgContact 6 C.jpg

Comment

I replaced all my rectifiers years ago, and bought them at a local electric hobby shop.
            One of the first ones I installed had a problem with the crimp connectors coming loose from machine vibration.
            So, I ended up soldering about 6" of wire onto each terminal, and then connected using wire nuts.

No failures in over 10+ years now. (knocks on synthetic wood lane)

Comment

I like it! I've done the ice cube relay on motor start and ball accelerator/power lift control boxes, but never seen that set up before, the contactor kinda looks like ones in a 82-70 chassis.
              Thank you for the info.

Comment

Nice work Mike. Glad you caught up with the 20th century........

Comment

Hey Mike. Glad to see it worked out. Clarification though. You said you are getting 106V with 240V input but you don't show resistors used. The schematic does show 120V connection so was this just a typo or did you hook it up to 240. I know we discussed this but I just wanted to clarify what you ended up doing.

Comment

Sorrrryyyy exMech. I lied. (Or was it just an old fart misspeak, LOL)? There is 240 V at Main Breaker but 120 V at TS1 "G" which is what supplies the rectifier. These machines were originally 220 V to the rectifier back in 1957. Someone changed the feed and moved supply to TS1 "G" before I got there in '75. They did Not put the 1 Amp fuse mod in however which ended up taking out two transformers when the respective rectifiers blew, again before me. I have since done that mod also. All boxes now have resettable 1 Amp Breakers, modular Cycle & MS relays, new contactors w/wo heaters, new Bridge Rectifiers, and all crumbling SO cords were replaced. The 30 Second guarantee is expiring as we speak LOL. Still don't like using the primary side of the transformer for 120 V.
                    HP, are we in the 20th century already? LOL Where does the time go. I'm still meeting new people everyday and hiding my own Easter eggs.

Comment

Just another shot of the Bridge Rectifier. They generate almost no heat and have been working well.

Rectifier 3 C.jpg

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse

Testing Link Belting "PowerTwist Drive"

Recently got my hands onto some meters of these: http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwi...Drive-A/13/4L/

At first let me tell you that they are pretty sturdy and very...

Ion buffer brush

Have Kegel ion model B. Noticed the buffer brush rubbing up against the felt that's attached to the oil transfer assembly (the "door" you open to fill the tanks). This...

Preventative Maintenance - Brunswick A / A2s - Rearwalls

James asked for pics of the rear walls. A mechanics nightmare !!! Going to need to loose some weight before working behind these babies. Note: the Rear Low volt control switch...

Brunswick/Kegel tongs...

Just noticed that Brunswick and Kegel tongs are different where you line them up for timing has anyone noticed this am I missing something?...

C1 Pinout drawing

Finished the C1 drawing.

The base for this came from a drawing made by Felix dated 2006.

Thanks Felix.

If you see any...
                      Working...
                      X