Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventative Maintenance - Brunswick B-10's Hollar House

Took a trip back in time to the classic “Hollar House”. The lanes went in in 1908. There was no ABC but according to the current operator, Tom, it became sanctioned when the ABC came to be. Many years ago a German couple had gone in there to see the place. It was very loud in there from all the patrons partying. You had to yell to one another to be heard. When the woman wanted to go there again, she said to her husband, “Let’s go to that Hollar House”. According to Tom, the name stuck. Tom and his wife Kathy, daughter of owner Marcy, currently run the place. It’s been in their family for 5 generations. Marcy is in her early 90’s, bakes tons of cookies for Christmas, and moves like a squirrel.
    Women would go along with their husbands to watch them bowl. One night the men wanted to leave after bowling but the women wanted to stay and drink. To tick off their husbands, they went to the bathroom, took off their bras and hung them up. Rumor is that when a woman goes in there the first time, she has to remove her bra and leave it there. Years later a city inspector cited the Hollar House for a fire hazard if the bras weren’t removed in 30 days. Just before the fines were to start, a politician was called, many news stations arrived, the Hollar House received huge media attention. The bras still hang there today.
    When in town, many pros have frequented the lanes. Hence the pictures of Burton Jr., Aulby and Anthony. Tom said he was setting for the pros and feared for his life as they hit the pins so hard. He said he wasn’t hit fortunately.
    Here are pics of the bar, the lanes and a few videos of folks at a bowling party. They have 4 leagues a week and usually two people to run the B-10’s. They are also looking for any spare parts if anyone knows of some. PM me if you have any info. I also have a lot more pics if anyone is interested. I could email them to you. PM me. Note how the pit boy or girl has to place the pins in the slots where the pins were knocked down as the machine goes “over” the remaining standing pins. Looks like they had a malfunction on the one set. Yes, they sell shirts!! I know you are all going to want the new, state of the art Kegel Oiling Machine. I used to oil lanes with this type of sprayer.

HH 1 C.jpgHH 2 C.jpgHH 3 C.jpgHH 4 C.jpgHH 5 C.jpgHH 6 C.jpgHH 7 C.jpgHH 8 C.jpgHH 9 C.jpgHH 10 C.jpgHH 11 C.jpgHH 12 C.jpgHH 13 C.jpgHH 14 C.jpgHH 15 C.jpgHH 16 C.jpgHH 17 C.jpg
    Everything has to be Somewhere !!

Cool
    Did you help with the install on this one, Mike.......

Comment

Yes, how do like that Class A wiring. I told them I would come in there for nothing and fix this.

Comment

I also remember oiling the lanes with the old style bug sprayer. Afternoon lane maintenance consisted of starting at the end of the impact area and walking slowly back to the foul line whilst pumping the sprayer 7 times and gently waving the spray from edge board to edge board. Then I would take the lane duster and drag the lanes from the pindeck to the foul line. Step onto the next lane and walk directly back up the middle of the next lane. This all happened whilst the good league bowlers muttered amongst themselves about how good or bad of a job you were doing.

Comment

Went there last night and guess what? A girl came in for the first time. (Rumor is that when a woman goes in there the first time, she has to remove her bra and leave it there.) And guess what is hanging from the ceiling. It's not a rumor, it's true !!

Thought I would point out that this is a genuine Brunswick Back Bar. Before Brunswick Pool Tables, they built and installed a lot of back bars. It's hard to see with all the Christmas decorations but the woodwork is incredible and it has the classic Brunswick logos on the ends. And I imagine you're all going to want the new high tech Cubica scoring system. Only $25,000 for the whole system including extra sheets. Also got on update on the cookies the 92 year old Owner (Marcy) bakes. They are 1" in diameter and all baked in a regular residential gas oven one pan at a time. This year - 22,000, last year - 24,000, two years ago - 30,000. I guess she's slacking off.

Back Bar 1 C.jpgBack Bar 2 C.jpgScoring C.jpg

Comment

If anyone gets to Milwaukee, WI. let me know and I'd be glad to take you there. The folks there are very nice!! It's less than 10 minutes from my place.

Comment

Part of the 22,000 cookies she baked. They are about 1" in diameter and many are quite heavily decorated. What does this have to do with bowling? These make my belly rounder and bowling balls are round...LOL. There were a lot more garments hanging up also.

HH 18 C.jpg

Comment

Few more pics of the Brunswick Bar minus the Christmas stuff. According to Tom, it was a genuine Brunswick Bar built in the late 1800's per a bar expert they brought in. I didn't know horses bowled but there is Roy & Trigger. Wonder if he had to rent 2 pair of shoes for Trigger LOL ? Note the rather large addition to the bar, (right pic). I guess I just missed the Penguin Running Club - a group of folks that dress up as Penguins and run from bar to bar. A first time lady accommodated their tradition. The Polish sign at top right basically means - "No more Schlitz, no more beer". I also dropped off a disk with all the B10 manuals on it so generously provided by Charlie from Brunswick. They did not have any manuals for the machines. I wonder if those part #s are still good??

HH 19 C.jpgHH Bar 1 C.jpgHH Bar 2 C.jpgHH Bar 4 C.jpg

Comment

The pics are great. However, Mickey, that is not Roy and Trigger. That's Gene Autry and Champion the Wonder Horse. Still cool, though.
                  It is wiser to find out than suppose.--Mark Twain

Comment

I remember the B-10 Semi-Automatics as we had them when we opened in 1956. And, I remember oiling with a bug sprayer and a buffer. I have a B-10 manual somewhere here in my collection of things that are dear to me.
                    Howard

Comment

Ooooppss, my bad. I can't read !!! LOL

Comment

Yeah, me either. Had to put on my second set of "eyes" to read it.
                        It is wiser to find out than suppose.--Mark Twain

Comment

Hollar House just received a fresh shipment of shirts and hoodies. $15 for shirt, $30 for hoody - all sizes. Also, I've read a lot of posts lately with folks having various and numerous problems with scoring. I would like to recommend switching over to the "Hollar House Red & White Scoring System". It has worked flawlessly for decades without a single malfunction and would be fairly reasonable to purchase.

HH Score 2 C.jpgHH Score 1 C.jpgHH Shrt 3.jpgHH Shrt 2.jpgHH Shrt 1.jpg

Comment

Now that's a bowling ball. I'll bet the carry is way better than these fancy new-fangled balls. The Plaque shows HH built as the second oldest and third certified. It looks like Raffel's is gone, the Elk's Club is still there in Fon du Lac but all internet inquiries make no mention of lanes so I guess they must be gone. Leo's Lanes in Chicago, (now Southport), is still there with 4 lanes still working. According to any internet info, they were put in the 1920's so maybe this plaque is incorrect? Who knows?? All internet info states HH is the oldest sanctioned alleys, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Skoronski, (Marcy's maiden name) was the original name before becoming the Hollar House thanks to the German lady in the 70's. Also added a few more short postings of Ladies' Bowling Nite Out.

HH Plaque & Ball C.jpgHH Plaque C.jpg

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse

The New Brunswick NXT

Best Pinsetter on the market today

Distributor Repair Kit

Has anyone installed a dist. repair kit ? Wanted to know if its a fix to the problem or just a brunswick brand Band-Aid....

Preventative Maintenance - Brunswick A, Jets, A2 - Wiring Problems

Had to do a service call at a friend's center as he was out of town. Seems Accelerator on 5 & 6 had quit. Breaker, (which fed 3 pairs), had not tripped, ohm check on motor...

Preventative Maintenance - A Jets A2 - Pinsetter Procedures

Over the years I've compiled info in a 3-ring binder for quick reference. I decided to add a bunch to it and make one for a few of my friends including the rear-wall house. ...

Transformer Installation Instructions

Does anyone have the installation instructions for P/N: 12-862164-000 ?
                            Working...
                            X