Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventative Maintenance - Brunswick A, Jets, A2 - Wiring Problems

Had to do a service call at a friend's center as he was out of town. Seems Accelerator on 5 & 6 had quit. Breaker, (which fed 3 pairs), had not tripped, ohm check on motor showed it to be OK. I usually find them to be 3 - 8 ohms depending on the HP. This one was a 3/4 HP, 240 Volt, and at about 7 Ohms - Phase to Phase. Zero Ohms Phase to Ground. I had 35 Volts Phase to phase at the power cord, 120 V on one phase to Ground and 0 Volts on the other Phase to Ground. Then I found this - Pics 1, 2, & 3. The first pic shows the wires after I removed a tie wrap that held them all together as well as all the insulation and tape. They had been rubbing so hard on the Rake Spring that it had worn through the tape, (it was spliced here before, hmmmm), almost through the Butt Connector and had ripped out one of the phases. The ground wire insulation was also worn through. It is a miracle that it didn't trip the breaker which would have taken out 3 Accelerators and 6 Lanes. Repaired the wires, taped it up for now, and tie wrapped it where it wouldn't rub on the "rabbit ears" or spring - Pic 4. It really needs a bracket like Pic 5 which was something I made back in the 70's. I use one piece to make two braces. Drill a 1/4" hole for the top bolt and 5/16" to 3/8" hole for the bottom bolt. Cut piece through center of bottom hole, that way you can mount it without having to remove Both bolts from the shaft which can be a real pain to realign. Also drop the rake, run machine to 90 degrees, and remove both springs to take all the pressure off the shaft before removing the top bolt to mount the bracket. I believe Brunswick sells a bracket and HP has a real nice one that he made which maybe he will post. Wouldn't be a half bad idea to check all wiring for interference and rubbing. Install brackets where appropriate, tie wrap and/or tape all wiring to secure non-rotating components, shield questionable areas with plastic tubing, position all wiring that runs down to the return subway on the Front of the Frame. I've had balls crush the wiring if it is on the side or rear of the frame, especially if you are running boosters.

Wire Bad 2.jpgWire Bad 3.jpgWire Bad 4.jpgWire Bad 1.jpgWire Support.jpg
    Everything has to be Somewhere !!

You can also use wire loom or split a hose or a piece of lift rod cover to use as wire loom to protect the wires from the rabbit ears.

Comment

Hey Mike what's with the air lines?
      They for the bumpers?
      ​​​​​
      At some stage the circuit breaker must have tripped, if it didn't, its faulty.

lots of fixes for this common fault. Personally, i like the home made bracket that routes the wires over the rabbit ears. Not always possible though, depends on having enough free wire.

Comment

Headpin I think they are for the bumpers. Mine are purple but same idea.
        If its still broken, guess it wasnt in the parts budget.

Z

Comment

I have seen a lot of stuff like that over the years, its pretty scary. Looks like somebody didn't do follow up with a permanent repair.
          Mike Wilson
          Bowl-Tech Inc.

Comment

Yes Mike, just a temp fix. The whole thing needs to be re-wired and have a bracket installed to keep the wires where they belong. HP do you have a pic of yours? And yes, the tubing is for the automatic bumpers. Surprised they didn't get cut also. I got there the next day to fix this for the owner. No one there so don't know if the breaker did trip or not. It is a Federal Stab-lock panel which are notorious for NOT Tripping, especially when only one of the phases is over-loaded. The breaker "Jams" up and fails to trip keeping the circuit hot - VERY Dangerous. Google it and you will see all the bad info on these panels. I believe they tried to initiate a class action lawsuit but it failed as the company was sold or went bankrupt??

Comment

Our air lines loop up to the control valves at the drop sweep. They don't really come into contact with any moving machine parts at all.

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the brackets I made. Last time I made them was in the days before digital photography.

Comment

Originally posted by Headpin View Post
                Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the brackets I made. Last time I made them was in the days before digital photography.
                Box Brownie?

Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
                Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
                Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
                Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Originally posted by Kanga (James) View Post

Box Brownie?
                  Ha ha........not quite, my friend. That's probably closer to mike's era.
                  I wonder if the digital generation know how expensive it was to get a picture back in those days? Sadly I have very few pre digital pictures.
                  Then again, I wouldn't trade a single day of my pre digital time for the present.
                  It's a shame you live in NSW, we could almost be friends......

Comment

Originally posted by Headpin View Post

Ha ha........not quite, my friend. That's probably closer to mike's era.
                    I wonder if the digital generation know how expensive it was to get a picture back in those days? Sadly I have very few pre digital pictures.
                    Then again, I wouldn't trade a single day of my pre digital time for the present.
                    It's a shame you live in NSW, we could almost be friends......
                    Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
                    Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
                    Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
                    Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Very funny guys, No the Brownie Box camera came way later, (and yes I still have one somewhere). These were the first pics I did.

Cave Painting.jpgCave Painting 2.jpg
                      ALL Files Scanned with MALWAREBYTES PREMIUM Version 3.3.1.2183 and AVAST INTERNET SECURITY Version 18.1.2326

Comment

Too funny...

​​​​​​

Comment

Film is making a comeback boys. Only hope we can get a really big camera back to hold a really big roll of film.
                          Regards,

Len.

Comment

Brunswick, back in the day had a wiring bracket that attached to the two bolts that hold the rake lift shaft center hub at the side frame. This was originally installed with the GoldCrown, AstroLine, scoring systems. It went straight-up over the rake lift shaft between the ears of the V part of the lift shaft with two holes in the other end of the bracket for wire ties. The bracket it self was L shaped to guide the wires past the rabbit ears of the lift-shaft with the end section where the wire tie holes were bent down to guide the wires to the middle (stationary) cross shaft just below the rake lift shaft.

These brackets would be real easy to make in house out of 1 inch flat bar. Four holes and and a couple bends is all it would take to make them.

Matter of fact, I just looked and they still have the parts manual for the AS series scorers that have the same bracket. The part number is 17-204274-000. Don't know if the part is available but you can see that it would be easy to make. There's also a cable clamp, 12-750789-000 that was used to guide the wires along the center shaft.

Just looked some more, It appears that these assemblies were used up through the FrameWorks series of scorers, but the original parts are not available any more. But they can't be that hard to make in house.

Comment

Part # 17-204274-000 was still valid as of last August. I ordered a couple of them. They were around $12 each. Just an FYI in case someone may want to see if they're still available and order 1 for a template.
                              It is wiser to find out than suppose.--Mark Twain

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse