Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewiring low voltage counter switch

So I found some bare wires in the electrical box on one of my machines. Chased it to its source and it's from the counter switch on the deck lift shaft. So I decided to rewire the entire thing.

Problem is I don't have any wire lying around that resembles the existing wire for the microswitch. The writing on the original wire is gone now, and based on the writing on the wire from the other micro switches on the machine, is a 600 volt wire. I can only find 300 volt wire in my storage room.

Based on it being a low voltage switch, connected to the low voltage terminal in the electrical box, shouldn't the 300 volt wire be fine to use? If I have to go get some 600 volt wire that's fine, I'd just rather use what I have lying around. Anyone know if I absolutely have to use 600 volt wire?

For the counter switch you could even use ordnary speaker wire...not that I would, since you want thick shielding to protect the wires from cuts. Ordinary power cable is what I typically use. What you have will be fine.
    Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
    Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
    Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
    Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Ordinary power cable I have plenty of. But now that begs the question, did the original installers just use the 600 volt wire for how thick it is for durability? Good to know though that the 300 volt wire I have normally for the accelerator plus will work fine. Thanks for the help Kanga!

Comment

I would say it was. It would have also been more affordable to purchase and use the same wire type as much as possible for manufacturing as long as it met or exceeded the maximum current that would ever pass through it for their selected uses.
        Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
        Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
        Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
        Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Thanks again. I appreciate it alot. Main reason for me rewiring the counter switch is I keep having the 3 amp fuse blowing. After inspecting the pin dick light cable I've ruled out a short in the pin dick light. Pulled off the electrical box cover and inspected everything for shorts. The counter switch is the only thing I found that didn't sit well. Rubber on the wires is dry rotted and wires are bare. I'm hoping rewiring it will solve my problems, but won't know until I have the counter switch rewired and try it out.

Comment

Your question needs further clarification.

Under this installation, it makes no difference that you are only controlling 24V. The fact that the wire comes into the same box as higher voltage sources requires it to have a higher voltage rating. Below is a copy of the national electric code 300.3(C)(1) which addresses wiring mixtures from different sources. It is permitted to mix these systems in the same box, HOWEVER, you must use a wire suitable for the highest voltage in the box and not selected based on the individual circuit voltage. If this is a 240 V machine then under THIS regulation, yes 300 V wire should be ok but a 477 V machine it would not be acceptable. 300 V wire is unusual. Most wire is based on 600 V or less for commercial/residential wiring and so that's why most wire comes rated at 600 V. Supply houses will not stock wire for 120V, 240V, 208V, and 477V. All of this fits under the rating of 600V or less and so only one wire needs to be supplied thus limiting inventory.

But this isn't the only article that needs consideration. This could easily be interpreted as a Class 1 circuit and if you look at the section dealing with these circuits you will find under paragraph (B) that the insulation requirements for these wires is 600V. See attachment 2 below.

Hopefully this helps with your decision.
            Attached Files

Comment

Clear as mud.

Comment

We use cheap figure 8 wire on all our 24V control circuits.
                Haven't experienced any problems thus far in 34 years of my experience.
                Best to try try and use the KISS strategy. Sometimes simple things can be overly complicated by too much information.

JMO

Comment

Well I thought about just saying no but then someone would have come back and said but he's only controlling 24 V so I thought an explanation was in order. I thought it was at least murky though. Thought I broke through the mud a little.

Comment

Yeah but there is a reason behind the regulation. If you don't use a wire with suitable insulation to keep other voltages out then you could end up with a higher voltage than expected on the 24 V line if a higher voltage conductor comes in contact with it even through the insulation. Then when someone presses a reset button and gets zapped they are going to come looking for you. KISS is fine but you also want do do it right and since he asked I assume he was looking for the answer and not just an opinion. If there is still something confusing I would be happy to explain further.

Comment

I don't understand electrical principles as much as you EX. I appreciate your experience in this area and your desire to help those who don't possess your knowledge. However, I personally get lost within a very short time of reading your posts. In fact I rarely make it through an entire post by you. They are a very long winded explanation which contains far too much information to absorb in one go.

Consider making shorter more consice posts. And expand on the information as needed.

No disrespect intended.

Comment

No disrespect taken. I don't expect my posts to be for everyone but I have received messages from individuals saying that they appreciate the effort put into them and the learn from them. If someone doesn't understand something then I'm more than happy to try to clarify it. So no disrespect back to you, I'l probably just keep on with what I've been doing. If individuals don't want to read them then they don't have to. But in all fairness, instead of just saying clear as mud, maybe identify what isn't clear so I can address it.

Comment

If you don't need the counter because your scoring take care of counting frames you can disconnect the frame counter switch and get rid of the wires going to it.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I have already rewired the switch. Unfortunately that didn't get rid of the problem like I had hoped. Machine is still bpacked out and I'm on the hunt for a short after going thru a couple 3 amp fuses. Everything in the accellerator box looks good, 1, 2 ball lamp wires all look good, as well as the wires that run up frame to the cannon plugs.

Guess I'm heading into the subway to see if I can find any suspect wires leading to the power lift.

Comment

Originally posted by exMech View Post
                              No disrespect taken. I don't expect my posts to be for everyone but I have received messages from individuals saying that they appreciate the effort put into them and the learn from them. If someone doesn't understand something then I'm more than happy to try to clarify it. So no disrespect back to you, I'l probably just keep on with what I've been doing. If individuals don't want to read them then they don't have to. But in all fairness, instead of just saying clear as mud, maybe identify what isn't clear so I can address it.
                              Understood and agree. You go to great lengths in your explanations and in doing so sometimes overly complicate your response.

I guess its a case of different horses for different courses. I will try and be a little more understanding in the future.

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse

Before and After

Actuator modified to eliminate hanging Bananas. Clean and paint associated parts.

Distributor Repair Kit

Has anyone installed a dist. repair kit ? Wanted to know if its a fix to the problem or just a brunswick brand Band-Aid....

Preventative Maintenance - Brunswick A, Jets, A2 - Wiring Problems

Had to do a service call at a friend's center as he was out of town. Seems Accelerator on 5 & 6 had quit. Breaker, (which fed 3 pairs), had not tripped, ohm check on motor...

Pins getting gouged

Has anyone ever had this problem of the pins getting gouged?
                              I have one lane pair that is just chewing the pins up. There is nothing visibly sticking out on either lane...

Preventative Maintenance - A Jets A2 - Pinsetter Procedures

Over the years I've compiled info in a 3-ring binder for quick reference. I decided to add a bunch to it and make one for a few of my friends including the rear-wall house. ...
                              Working...
                              X