Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventative Maintenance - A Jets A2 - Inspection Checklist

I created an Inspection Checklist that I could use to "Survey" a house without having to do a lot of writing. It could be given to an owner to give them an idea of what condition their machines are in, parts that would be needed to be ordered and what type of maintenance would be required. I intended to do this at the "Rear Wall" house. As it turns out, I am using it as a combination Inspection & Record of Maintenance performed document. As we fix and inspect each machine, I record it on this document. It can then be a good record of what maintenance, parts replaced, ect. was done on each machine so the next poor b_______, I mean lucky mechanic can see what big ticket items were done and when. They are in 2 formats. Comments welcome... I've tweaked it several times since we have begun the summer overhaul.

Inspection Checklist.docx Inspection Checklist.pdf

ALL Files Scanned with MALWAREBYTES PREMIUM Version 3.5.1.2522 and AVAST INTERNET SECURITY Version 18.4.2338
    Everything has to be Somewhere !!

Tweaked the List a few times and probably will a few more before the summer's end. Also created a "Global Form" to document maintenance & inspections done across the entire house for quick reference.

ALL Files Scanned with MALWAREBYTES PREMIUM Version 3.5.1.2522 and AVAST INTERNET SECURITY Version 18.4.2338

Inspection Checklist Rev2.docx
    Inspection Checklist Rev2.pdf
    Inspection Checklist Global.docx
    Inspection Checklist Global.pdf

Comment

Hell of an overhaul and time if everything on that list is going to be inspected and fixed.
      The older the part, the STRONGER it is.

Comment

My thoughts are it's far too complex for any owner. Even as a seasoned tech, I wouldn't go to the extents you have. I feel that most people would simply skip over a lot of those checks. Not saying that the checks aren't warranted just far too itemized.
        All the pit conveyor checks can be ticked or flicked by simply listening to it run. Gearbox check can be accomplished by removing elevator drive belt and running machine through a cycle.
        I appreciate the amount of time and effort you have put in to create this checklist, and maybe my perception is different to yours as we have all year round bowling here.

JMO

Comment

On a side note, a hand held infra red thermometer is a great tool to quickly determine if bearings need replacing in motors or even if undue friction in bearing assemblies need further investigation.
          i use mine to compare different machine assemblies working under the same conditions to qauge their efficency like v belts. If a particular belt is noticeably hotter than the machine beside it. You have a problem.

Comment

I know HP but things have been let go there so long and the owner is my friend, that I wanted to document all the work that has been done. I used to keep very precise records of the checks and maintenance I did at Olympic & Beloit. There are absolutely No records of anything having been done here over the years. I realize that if you continually do good maintenance year round, it probably isn't that critical, but there is so much maintenance needed here that I had to document it. And no, we won't get all this accomplished before the leagues start next week, but we'll keep picking away at it during the season. To date we have replaced ALL the ball lift rod covers, 10 lanes, with the new AP Grey stuff, numerous belts, Dozens of shaker grommets plus re-shimming many where the back pit board clamp was LOWER than the ball wheel, numerous ball wheel lower rollers and upper guide rollers, a bunch of deck chutes and turret wires, one complete gear box and moving deck, reset all motor torque plates and realigned M-GB Belt, installed numerous pit board rubber blocks (many were missing), many adjustments and on and on. Found 5 or 6 Deck Jam switches not working, boots were rock hard, replaced all boots and verified they worked. Turret Jam switches all worked only because someone had removed all the boots. Cleaned them and replaced all the boots. Found one gearbox with about 6 oz. of oil, 1 about 1/2 full, the rest were all low. Waiting for the delivery of the Bel-Ray Semi fluid grease, will then change all the gearbox grease. Some 1/2 ball light micro-switches were intermittent which totally screws up the scoring. Boots also rock hard and 8 did not have the helper spring. Installed helper springs and replaced all the boots. It was a long day LOL.

There is one gearbox that howls. Suspect it's the 4:1 Bronze gear but maybe we'll get lucky and it will only be a bad bearing on the worm shaft, yeah right !! Haven't done a 4:1 since 1979 when I helped another mechanic do several at a center he serviced. This will be interesting. It's a 70,000 serial # so I'll have to do my homework on the shimming process.

Comment

Mike, howling gearbox will most likely be large wormshaft bearing.

I know that I have previously stated that the 4:1 should be changed at zero degrees so that timing marks can be seen. Since then I have followed the advice of other members and replaced three 4:1 assemblies at 270 degrees. It elminates the step of removing the deck lift pin and timing isn't and issue as it's quite noticeable if you're a tooth out.
              I've changed my opinion and now do all 4:1's at 270.

Comment

Mike, I can remember getting 12 machines from Japan in the mid 80's that had numbers on the rear guard n the mid 300's. Still good machines but some of the fixes using fencing wire were quite comical.

I also remember removing 10 lanes from a small town centre that had fencing wire and spring from the clutch lever to the ceiling to ensure that the lever raised high enough. They were also using shade cloth on the pit mats. Talk about worn pins!!!!

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse