Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor question

We have to change out a motor. The new motor has overload circuit and reset button. The old motor was an original 1958 on this model A pinsetter. The electric box has the original Federal Pacific motor contactor with overload protection. Will the two overload protection circuits interfere with each other? Many thanks for reading my post.
    Howard

No, you can leave the old overload in there.
    If the new motor's overload is a different rating, the one with the lowest rating will trip first.

Comment

Check the nameplate data and be sure the "heater" on the FP contactor is sized properly. Or... just eliminate the heater from the contactor coil circuit. If you do, recommend that you label the front of the electrical box accordingly.

ALL Files Scanned with MALWAREBYTES PREMIUM Version 3.5.1.2522 and AVAST INTERNET SECURITY Version 18.4.2338

Electric Warning 1 C.jpgReset Marking 3 C.jpg
      Everything has to be Somewhere !!

Comment

If you have the pivot mount style of motor mount be sure that the motor you put in has enough weight to properly tension the belts. The newer motors from places like Grainger are substantially lighter than the original motors Brunswick used. If you run into issues with your belts coming loose then you can add tension with bungee cords that reach down to the track support rods or kickbacks. If you can't anchor a bungee cord on an odd lane then you might have better luck swapping the motor onto an even lane. If all else fails you can even replace the motor mount with the A2 style stationary mount. If you do that you will need to get new belts though. Good luck!
        Ethan Campbell
        Technician 1
        Main Event Entertainment - Plano

Comment

20180813_094236.jpg20180813_094253.jpg

Comment

Regardless of the weight of the motor, if you don't have the "secondary" mounting plate, as I call it, set right, the M-GB belt will pop off fairly regularly. The roll pin, (RED Arrow), should be ABOVE the plate by at least 1/8". Then set the gap from the plate to the pin, (Green Arrow), to around a 1/32" with the M-GB Belt on. The M-El Belt is removed. Before I set this gap, I align the motor to the gear box clutch using a straight edge on the outside of the pulleys being sure they are square to one another and aligned. I brace the motor with a wooden stick cut to length which rests on the pit carpet to the underside of the motor mount because I have removed the belts to do the alignment. Then slightly tighten a few bolts to hold the motor in place, install the M-GB belt and tap the plate to achieve the 1/32" gap at the pin. After tightening the 4 bolts down, you will actually have to fight against the pin when rolling the M-GB belt on and off. I have not been able to find a procedure or recommended gap for this in any of my 3 manuals.

ALL Files Scanned with MALWAREBYTES PREMIUM Version 3.5.1.2522 and AVAST INTERNET SECURITY Version 18.4.2338

Motor Mount C.jpgReset Marking 3.jpg

Comment

many thanks for all the input. It is greatly appreciated. You guys are great!
              Howard

Comment

Thanks for the info Mickey, I'm going to have to try that out. A lot of my motors kick like angry bulls so getting them aligned should really help them run smoother.
                Ethan Campbell
                Technician 1
                Main Event Entertainment - Plano

Comment

Alignment will greatly reduce belt wear and it sounds like the gap from the plate to the pin is fairly large resulting in the motor raising up like it does. Putting a bungee on the motor can put excessive tension on the belt, motor bearings and clutch bearings. The weight of the motor is sufficient once the pin gap is set tight, IMO.

Comment

Mickey, in conjunction with replacing this motor we did a pulley change like to did to slow down the gearbox. What size belt do you use? We used the same size pulley as you did in your youtube creepy speed videos, I believe 4.5 inch for the motor pulley. Many thanks.
                    Howard

Comment

Glad it worked out for you Howard. Used the standard "A" M-GB Belt. See this post: Preventative Maintenace - Brunswick A, Jets, A2 - Slow Machine - Semi Creepy Speed

Belt Rack C.jpg

Comment

Thanks Mickeygm!
                        Howard

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse

The New Brunswick NXT

Best Pinsetter on the market today

Distributor Repair Kit

Has anyone installed a dist. repair kit ? Wanted to know if its a fix to the problem or just a brunswick brand Band-Aid....

Preventative Maintenance - Brunswick A, Jets, A2 - Wiring Problems

Had to do a service call at a friend's center as he was out of town. Seems Accelerator on 5 & 6 had quit. Breaker, (which fed 3 pairs), had not tripped, ohm check on motor...

Preventative Maintenance - A Jets A2 - Pinsetter Procedures

Over the years I've compiled info in a 3-ring binder for quick reference. I decided to add a bunch to it and make one for a few of my friends including the rear-wall house. ...

Transformer Installation Instructions

Does anyone have the installation instructions for P/N: 12-862164-000 ?
                        Working...
                        X