Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventative Maintenance A Jets A2 – Replace Moving Deck

Well here's another one in case you have trouble falling asleep.

Lane 1 @ Rear Wall House had suffered a catastrophic failure years ago when one of the Deck Shaft Bolts worked its way ALL the WAY OUT and the Deck was hanging at a 45 degree angle. It was never the same. Broke a lot of Moving Deck Cam Follower Bolts, swept funny, misdetections,etc. About 6 months ago, it began to have a lot of bad pin detections. Found both Deck Shaft bolts loose. One about 3/8” out. Tightened both, bad detections went away. Did notice that Moving Deck was severely warped. About 3/8”. Machine also had the thin hard deck pads which caused respotting problems for the pins where the deck was most warped. Shimmed these pads up temporarily to correct the respot problem. Time to change the Moving Deck.

One mechanic wanted to remove entire deck assembly. I convinced them to just remove the upper deck. Lowered deck to almost 270, unplugged Power Cord, removed Deck Shield. Removed 1, 7, & 10 Deck Chutes. Removed RIGHT Front Plate, (PIC 1 & 2), LEFT Rear Track & LEFT Geneva Plate, (PIC 3 & 4). This will allow the Moving Deck to be slid slightly to the RIGHT clearing the LEFT Front Plate and RIGHT Rear Track and Cam Rollers, (PIC 5). Then tilt deck on a good 45 degrees to clear Deck Posts and slide it out. Everything went pretty well considering they had never done this. Transferred the spotting fingers, deck pads and remaining plates and track to the replacement deck.

The next day when I came back, (a little late, my bad), they had the replacement deck in. They had removed ALL the plates and tracks to make it easier to get it in. When I arrived, they had installed all the tracks, plates and Geneva plates but had cracked the LEFT Front Geneva Plate, (PIC 6), while installing it which didn’t make sense to me. They were just putting another plate on when I got there. I checked everything, deck moved easily, all bolts were in, so they put the deck cables on and we fired it up. As it neared 0 Degrees, machine jammed. Backed it up, and tension released on Jam Tube. Looked for bolt interference as the deck chutes were Not installed, no binds, but when we tried to run it to 0, it jammed.

Backed it down to about 270 degrees. It seemed like deck was out 180 degrees or a half turn on the torsion spring. Don’t know how I missed this. Not sure if they removed the deck cable with Both Geneva Plates off before I got there ?? At any rate it seemed the only option was to start over. The deck cable was Extremely tight, could barely get the deck cable off. Pulled both Geneva Plates and deck cables. Time to rewind torsion spring. For some reason I kept thinking it needed 1 ½ turns – NOT RIGHT !! As I looked at the spring and sheaves that held the Cam Rollers , it could only be 1 or 2 full turns. Could not find any info in the one manual we had. Went with 1 Turn. Wound it 1 turn, slid the LEFT Geneva Plate on and then the RIGHT one. Now the deck cables went on easily and Geneva Rollers in Geneva Plate looked to be in the correct position, (PIC 7).

Fired up machine. Ran fine. Checked all pin detection, also good. Put buckets and deck shield on. Did another full check of detecting ALL pin positions with a full deck of pins. All good. Went through all 3 Manuals that I have.

Cannot find the info on winding the Torsion Spring anywhere in the Brunswick Manuals. The info is on this site. If someone knows where this is in one of the manuals, please indicate. Thanks

ALL Files Scanned with MALWAREBYTES PREMIUM Version 3.5.1.2522 and AVAST INTERNET SECURITY Version 18.4.2338

Deck Replace 1 C.jpgDeck Replace 2 C.jpgDeck Replace 3.jpgDeck Replace 4 C.jpgDeck Replace 5 C.jpgDeck Replace 6 C.jpgDeck Replace 7.jpg
    Everything has to be Somewhere !!

1 turn.

http://www.bowltech.com/forum/pinset...645#post529645
    Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
    Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
    Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
    Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

I've not seen in any manuals where it states the amount of torsion on the moving deck spring.

We have always carried a spare spring for this application but have never replaced one. Has anyone needed to replace this spring due to breakage or loss of tension?

Comment

We have, once over 20 years ago on lane #9.
        Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Originally posted by Kanga (James) View Post
          We have, once over 20 years ago on lane #9.
          For what reason, James.

Comment

Thanks James. I found that post the next day AFTER my little excursion. As I said, could Not find it in any of the Brunswick manuals. We had to wind up a few at Olympic about 43 years ago. The decks had basically no tension of the spring. Don't know how they set pins ?? Also don't know how they got that way but I remember we just rewound them and they were fine. Never replaced one. I have broken several garage door springs however LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Headpin View Post

For what reason, James.
              There were no unusual circumstance that I can recall. The machines were only a few years installed from a Bruns base model refurbishment package, so I doubt it was overwound.
              Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Originally posted by Kanga (James) View Post

There were no unusual circumstance that I can recall. The machines were only a few years installed from a Bruns base model refurbishment package, so I doubt it was overwound.
                That's interesting because the only broken moving deck torsion spring I've ever seen in over 30 years in the industry was at the now closed (originally Fairlanes then sold to AMF) Craigie Bowl.

The machines which came from Brunswick in the US (German Model A's refurbished and upgraded to JetBacks) were installed in 1988/89 and the spring on this particular machine broke about 2 or 3 years after the centre opened. There was a bit of corrosion on quite a few of the machines (presumably from the salt air in the shipping containers when the machines were shipped to Australia) when they were installed so we assumed the corrosion may have played a part in the spring breaking. Not sure if any of the others broke during the almost 20 years the centre was open, I only worked there a few years in the early 90's then a couple more between 2007 and 2009 when the centre closed.

Comment

Inquired to Brunswick about a book procedure on this. There Isn't One. So someone here should create one.... HP, James LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Carl D View Post

That's interesting because the only broken moving deck torsion spring I've ever seen in over 30 years in the industry was at the now closed (originally Fairlanes then sold to AMF) Craigie Bowl.

The machines which came from Brunswick in the US (German Model A's refurbished and upgraded to JetBacks) were installed in 1988/89 and the spring on this particular machine broke about 2 or 3 years after the centre opened. There was a bit of corrosion on quite a few of the machines (presumably from the salt air in the shipping containers when the machines were shipped to Australia) when they were installed so we assumed the corrosion may have played a part in the spring breaking. Not sure if any of the others broke during the almost 20 years the centre was open, I only worked there a few years in the early 90's then a couple more between 2007 and 2009 when the centre closed.
                    One thing I found interesting was that the plastic sleeve on the torsion spring shaft was missing on the machines we bought refurbished. Not that it has affected the springs, I just found it odd. I've grown accustomed to the tinny sound when the pins land in the deck assembly, as opposed to the clunk with the sleeves installed. The sound levels between the two are negligible.
                    Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse

The New Brunswick NXT

Best Pinsetter on the market today

Distributor Repair Kit

Has anyone installed a dist. repair kit ? Wanted to know if its a fix to the problem or just a brunswick brand Band-Aid....

Preventative Maintenance - Brunswick A, Jets, A2 - Wiring Problems

Had to do a service call at a friend's center as he was out of town. Seems Accelerator on 5 & 6 had quit. Breaker, (which fed 3 pairs), had not tripped, ohm check on motor...

Preventative Maintenance - A Jets A2 - Pinsetter Procedures

Over the years I've compiled info in a 3-ring binder for quick reference. I decided to add a bunch to it and make one for a few of my friends including the rear-wall house. ...

Transformer Installation Instructions

Does anyone have the installation instructions for P/N: 12-862164-000 ?
                    Working...
                    X