Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox Clutch Adjustment Trouble

Hi. I work on A2’s. The old head mechanic put these springs on the gearbox clutches going from the solenoid tower to the clutch leverabove the stop arm. It’s my u derstanding that the spring isn’t supposed to be there, but was put there for the sake of taking a shortcut around properly adjusting the clutch.

Heres my issue, when I removed the spring and tried readjusting the clutch, I couldn’t find a way to get rid of chatter from the shoes rubbing against the back of the drive disc. Any suggestions on how to eliminate chatter without having to reinstall that stupid spring?

The chatter and inability to adjust the clutch is the result of wear in the parts of the clutch. The spring pushes the shoes against the clutch to stop the chatter. If you want to get the clutch working properly without the springs, you need to rebuild the clutch and replace any worn parts.

Comment

A light spring from clutch lever to a support is an excellent way to prolong the life of your clutch.
      The 50 cent spring ensures the lever rises far enough to allow the clutch stop arm to move forward underneath the lever regardless of how much chatter the lever has.
      Sure, it doesn't fix the worn clutch parts but it certainly stretches your maintenance budget.
      If you do have the money to purchase all new components for the clutch, then by all means do it.

In my opinion a good mechanic is not just someone who can replace parts but is also savvy enough
      to apply good business practices by being as cost effective as they possibly can with maintenance budgets.

Comment

Words of Wisdom Headpin.

Comment

We would bend a coat hanger around the clutch arm and hook a spring to it. We would shorten or lengthen the spring to get the clutch shoes to basically "float: in the drive disc assembly. It helped do what HP stated and you you could eliminate some of the chatter of worn clutch parts. Or you can buy the kit which allows for easier fine tuning of the lift on the clutch lever.

ALL Files Scanned with MALWAREBYTES PREMIUM Version 3.5.1.2522 and AVAST INTERNET SECURITY Version 18.6.2349

Clutch Lever 1 Assist.jpgClutch Lift Kit 2.jpgClutch Lift Kit.jpg
          Everything has to be Somewhere !!

Comment

Keep that spring as a workaround until you can afford to buy the spring kits. Headpin has the right idea.

Comment

The problem is at the bottom of the clutch yoke. There is a cast pivot point in the yoke where the long adjusting bolt goes through the yoke. This pivot point gets worn flat from misadjustment or neglected altogether.

There use to be a stamped steel repair kit for this problem that required drilling 2 small holes in the bottom of the yoke where the bolt goes through.

If this area is properly repaired and maintained no springs are necessary and clutch wear will go into the decades.

most clutch chatter is caused by the clutch shoes being improperly installed, look at the shoe where the yoke pin goes in them. They have a square edge and a rounded edge, make sure the like edges are facing the same direction. Shoes should also be matched in thickness. I use to run pin through a pair and sand them square again.

Comment

Originally posted by jim_long View Post
                most clutch chatter is caused by the clutch shoes being improperly installed, look at the shoe where the yoke pin goes in them. They have a square edge and a rounded edge, make sure the like edges are facing the same direction. Shoes should also be matched in thickness. I use to run pin through a pair and sand them square again.
                That was what I was originally taught but isn't always true. Perhaps when the shoes are made and bought but they haven't all been matched on the machines I've serviced clutches on.

It's best to use the upper yoke pin that you have already taken out to remove the clutch and slide the shoes together onto it and feel for the best matching faces.

Until the budget can allow, you could coat each shoe pin with gasket silicone, along with using the previously described spring. Let the silicone set with the clutch disengaged before using it.

P.S; clutch lever support kits are a good add on regardless of clutch condition.
                Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
                Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
                Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
                Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

James are you basically glueing the shoes into the yoke?
                  Does the silcone flex enough to allow the shoe to pivot?

Comment

Yes and yes it does. Silicone on the pins only is enough. I had toyed with the idea of machining a groove into the shoe pins for an O ring if they were easy enough to remove. The gasket silicone is enough though.
                    Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Originally posted by Kanga (James) View Post
                      Yes and yes it does. Silicone on the pins only is enough. I had toyed with the idea of machining a groove into the shoe pins for an O ring if they were easy enough to remove. The gasket silicone is enough though.
                      Interesting. I think you've mentioned this previously, right?
                      So, the chatter is noticeably less? I'm wondering if this isn't something that should be done from the beginning of a fresh rebuild?

Comment

Originally posted by Headpin View Post

Interesting. I think you've mentioned this previously, right?
                        So, the chatter is noticeably less? I'm wondering if this isn't something that should be done from the beginning of a fresh rebuild?
                        I have.

You will hear a reduction relative to the wear in the clutch. It also prevents the shoes sliding inwards which will stop the likelihood of the shoes scraping the center of the drive disc. I haven't noticed any long term problems associated with the silicone.
                        Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse