Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turret Time Delay Gear binding on??

Hey there fellow Pinchashers (just kidding!) I got a problem with one of our American A-2s. After the 5 pin trips the tires latch the TDG to turn but then stops before the turret indexes. I already put in a new torsion latch after finding the old one was catching on the bottom of the gear. There was a washer under the latch so it was slightly to high and would stop the TDG.
    But the same problem is happening now after installing different latch without a washer. The whole turret clutch assembly is a pain in the ass to install by myself and I was just hoping for any ideas before I have to pull it tomorrow.
    Thanks for reading and any input.

If the delay gear is not turning when the torsion latch moves away from the block on the gear you have a driving issue related to the friction disc. You could possibly even have debris in the teeth of the friction disc or delay gear teeth. Check the condition of the friction material and confirm the surface is free of oil or grease and ensure the teeth are clean and free of debris.
    Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
    Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
    Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
    Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Thanks for the tips I'll definitely look for that tomorrow. I have been seeing strange white "shavings" on that lane's turret clutch and the top of the moving deck. Looked like it's from the pads that rivot to the friction disc, same color anyway.
      Thank you Kanga

Comment

You have the white nylon facings? Those have a nasty habit of glazing over. Take the upper pulley off, rough up the facings, and see what happens. Then start buying the black ones; they work much better, IMNSHO.

If those shavings are on the top of the upper pulley, however, I'd be inclined to say they're not from the friction material, but the pins instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Mok View Post
          Then start buying the black ones; they work much better
          If you're referring to the oversized black type you'll get a nasty surprise when they begin to wear. Once the contact area wears down enough the remainder of the facing will begin to contact the unmachined area and cause excess friction. The result is that the torsion latch won't be able to rotate because of the excess pressure from the delay gear block.

I've never had any issues with the white facings. As long as you don't over tighten the rivets and the disc isn't bent you'll never have a problem. Just be sure to rub the installed facings and disc over a sheet of sand paper on a flat surface to ensure you have even contact.
          Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
          Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
          Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
          Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

What serial # machines do you have. Big difference in the turret clutches. Completely check all linkage for wear and R&R as needed, (Pins, oilites, bushings, rollers, bearings, etc). Another good reason for energy savers. I've been out of Beloit for about 10 months, but before that I didn't replace clutch facings for over 10 years and we ran about 100 lines per week. I set mine to 30 seconds. Usually the pits were near dead quiet most of the time as all or almost all of the machines were off, (motor not running).
            Everything has to be Somewhere !!

Comment

I would also check to make sure the long link moves freely to the rearmost position. Something often overlooked.
              ME&My68

There's no such thing as idiot proof, it just makes a better idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by mickeygm View Post
                set mine to 30 seconds.
                What do you mean? I'll get that lanes serial number next time I'm there. But I'll continue to R&R the linkage as advised.
                When I responded to the call I found the TDG was in it's blocked position, and tripping the torsion latch did nothing. As if something else was holding the gear. Pulled the TDG, no wear in teeth , replaced bushings and used a new bolt. Ran without a problem for an hour with a jumper wire on constant cycle. But still happened once before I went home so the issue hasnt been found.
                Thanks all I'll post any updates when I can.

Comment

Originally posted by me_and_my_68 View Post
                  I would also check to make sure the long link moves freely to the rearmost position. Something often overlooked.
                  The long link isn't pushed to the rear until the turret cam indexes past the 5 pin, but the problem we're having occurs before this happens.
                  5 pin enters the chute, and the spider cam does release the pins, and it does trip the torsion latch.
                  We did install a new longlink last month though, I did look at the linkage all the same. Thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

You want to remove the turret clutch and take it apart so that you can inspect everything. Pay close attention to the condition of the matching teeth on the time delay gear and the clutch disk. They can become damaged over time.
                    If you think my girlfriend can fight, you should see her box!

Comment

Thank you Captain Jack Sparrow, but that lanes been running great since I replaced the TDG bolt and bushings. The teeth looked in good shape while I had the gear in hands, but I didn't pull out the clutch disc to examine those. Fingers crossed it won't be necessary!
                      Thanks to all who helped!

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse