Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many bearings in spider?

Had had a hard time finding the answer I’m looking for in other threads. Just want to clarify for future reference

So, in total there’s 149 ball bearings for each spider, but how many per race? I’m rebuilding a spider and counted each ball before I took it apart, there was 82 in the outer race and 67 in the inner race.

Is this the correct number of bearings per race??

You don't really need to worry about the number of bearings per race. When you go to put them back in, when the race is full, there will be a small gap -- smaller than an individual bearing. In other words, keep putting them in until you can't fit any more.

Comment

Thanks MOK

Comment

you can squash and extra ball.in and you won't notice untill you tighten it down, at which point it will bind.
        Running the spider a ball down won't affect it's performance.

Comment

Agreed HP, there is a space about the size of one ball bearing in the outer race and one slightly smaller on the inner race. If you put the extra one in the outer race, it will bind up, ask me how I know.
          Everything has to be Somewhere !!

Comment

Originally posted by mickeygm View Post
            Agreed HP, there is a space about the size of one ball bearing in the outer race and one slightly smaller on the inner race. If you put the extra one in the outer race, it will bind up, ask me how I know.
            I'm guessing we both learnt the same way.....

Ive counted them out on many occassions, seperated them into piles for outer and inner, only to lose count. Even when I manage to get the count correct, one or two always seem to fall out and get mixed up again. I've never had the jig, perhaps that helps?

Comment

If you have the spider out. Recommend you drill and tap 1/4 unc holes for five pin chute.

Comment

There are several posts on this but this seems to hold the general consensus.

http://www.bowltech.com/forum/pinset...ider#post62589

Comment

And for those who have never removed one... remember there are 8 bolts on the ring. The four LONG bolts bolt the assembly to the frame, the 4 SHORT ones hold the rings together. Leave the Short ones IN. If not you will be picking ball bearings out of the machine for the next several hundred years LOL.
                  Everything has to be Somewhere !!

Comment

mickeygm yes I remember when I very first pulled a spider apart 40 years ago undone all the bolts and then ting tang tong goes all the bearings very true picking up ball bearings for years to come
                    im never wrong just askme

Comment

Originally posted by mickeygm View Post
                      And for those who have never removed one... remember there are 8 bolts on the ring. The four LONG bolts bolt the assembly to the frame, the 4 SHORT ones hold the rings together. Leave the Short ones IN. If not you will be picking ball bearings out of the machine for the next several hundred years LOL.
                      I always noticed the 4 holes under the 5 pin chute were the long ones. inserting a screwdgie or punch and tap the bottom while feeling the bolt heads on top. maybe thats just me though. Completed the spider and when done had 67 balls in the inner race and 82 in the outer race, and yes there is room for ONE extra ball in each but leave them out.

thanks for the clarity and tips everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Headpin View Post
                        If you have the spider out. Recommend you drill and tap 1/4 unc holes for five pin chute.
                        will definitely consider this. everyone else use allen head bolts for the 5 pin chute??

Comment

I make studs out of threaded rod for the 5 chute. This allows me to use nylock nuts. Never had one loosen up.

Also makes it easy to put back together as there is no lining up bolt holes and the studs hold things for you.
                          If you think my girlfriend can fight, you should see her box!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse