Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Gearbox Clutch

Clutch very noisy: I have changed input shaft,clutch,shoes,Bell. Pretty much everything associated with the clutch. About to take apart again. Not sure what to look for at this point.It does have the spring installed to keep the lever from bouncing too much. Looking for any ideas.
    j.c. I would rather be dead right, Than dead wrong.

Re: Noisy Gearbox Clutch

what kind of sound are you getting? depending on the depth of the sound you could figure out where it is coming from.

metallic, scrape, humm, pulsating?

I had many a noise coming from the clutch over the years.
    <---- You are getting sleepy, very sleepy. When you wake-up you will want to bowl more. . . .

Comment

it is a chatter. Very typical of worn clutch parts. Only problem is parts are NEW.

Comment

As a guess I would say your "chatter kit" is out of adjustment (the spring thing you refer to).
        So speaketh the Gospel of The Beer Can

Comment

I use the Zot spring. No adjustment.

Comment

There is half the problem. That kit forces the clutch shoes against the linings all the time causing wear and noise if you have the slightest wobble in the parts. I would recommend the clutch lever support kit from Brunswick. It allows you to center the shoes between the linings and the rear surface of the clutch drive disc assembly.

As far as your noise goes...you may have a bent pulley. This can cause the issue you are hearing. Be sure the pulley turns true on the clutch.
            TSM & TSM Training Development
            Main Event Entertainment
            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

I do have some of the brunswick clutch lever support kits. Will change and see if there is a difference.

Comment

Also check clutch pulley for bad rivets that hold the two sides of the pulley and the clutch linings together.

Comment

I just finished all 32 of mine a couple of weeks ago. In these I found 2 with warped drive discs causing noises and 3 with warped pulleys. The warped pulleys would also make noise when the clutch was DIS-engaged. Is this clutch of yours making noises when the clutch is disengaged or is it noisy during the cycle??

Charles

Comment

It is Noisy Just during The Cycle.Originally I found the Input shaft spline in very poor shape so The Drive Disk had slop on the shaft. Replaced Input plus all other associated parts.

Comment

I am assuming from your post that you replaced the drive disc and hub with new ones along with a new worm shaft If you mixed old and used parts it can still make noise. Also is the nut that goes in front of the spring retainer tight and is the compression spring properly seated inside the retainer?

Comment

Speaking of gear box pulleys. Just rebuilt the gear box drive for a friend of mine. He had one of the new solid aluminum pulleys from JCP, looks good, might be the way to go, no rivets to worry about.
                        I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

I am not too keen on aluminum pulleys. They will wear quickly and the edges will turn into razor blades. I have a few from the original cross conveyor tensioning pulleys and they are sharp enough to cut paper.
                          TSM & TSM Training Development
                          Main Event Entertainment
                          480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Well noise is gone. I found the pin on the hub had come out, as a result the pully wore the bronze bushing in the pully as well as the steel on the drive disk. Wow. How it worked was a wonder. It brings up a question. The pin in the hub on the new one i used does not seem all that long and therefore i question if it seats enough in the pully to prevent this from happening again. Any thoughts.

Comment

The drive pin is replaceable. 11-350456-000. It's GB160F on page 8 of the paper parts catalog. You could compare the clutch cone to a new one and replace the pin if needed.

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse