Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox clutch and worm shaft

Is there a simple way to disassemble gearbox clutches for cleaning and lubing? I had someone do it 2 years ago but don't remember the best procedure. I also have a couple worm shafts with the fine thread alittle messed up. Is there a way to fix this.
    Thanks,Sid

Re: Gearbox clutch and worm shaft

I just remove the top pin and run a punch through it. Take the lower adjusting screw out, Take the 2 big nuts off the worm gear, take the punch out and pull the whole clutch assembly off and take to the washer,

Might be able to find a thread cutter to rethread the bad ones. They are awfully fine.
    Pain is the weakness leaving body
    Courage is the other side of Fear
    RICK

Comment

Brunswick makes a special tool for thread cleaning. It fits the worm threads perfectly, a must have tool. P/N 12-860660.

Comment

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE make sure you take the machine down to either 90 strike or 270 (preferred) if you are going to take the wormshaft out. Trust me on this one
        [email protected] | jsebeny <--YouTube | Cell: 309-275-2453

Comment

I use 90 and 10 standing pins, but that is a good warning.

Comment

I used a 90 degree cordless angle drill from makita to help remove/install the bottom adjusting screw,made the job much easier than using a wrench/socket of any kind.

Comment

Yeah definately set the deck on a box of pins or something like that. The first time I did a worm shaft the head mechanic told me to just put the machine in 2nd ball and the holding hook would catch the deck......BAD IDEA!!! The holding hook was adjusted too far out and didnt catch the deck. Very scary when that 4:1 arm swings around at you when you pop the worm shaft out. Needless to say I went back and replaced the holding hook because it was also excessively worn at the tip, probably from barely catching the deck during 2nd ball cycle for however long it was doing it.

Comment

The thread chaser isn't a specialty tool. You can get it from most tool shops.
                Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
                Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
                Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
                Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

90 degrees on a full rack of pins.
                  I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

You can also use lapping compound specifically formulated for the thread size you have. Cloverleaf is one company that makes it.

Basically you apply it to the threads, and use the nut to reform the threads. Takes a while but does work.
                    My father told me to never get old...I should have listened!

Comment

Originally posted by nighthawk
                      I used a 90 degree cordless angle drill from makita to help remove/install the bottom adjusting screw,made the job much easier than using a wrench/socket of any kind.
                      Or use the quick realese yoke pivots from zot....I love those!
                      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanick
                        Originally posted by nighthawk
                        really? i've thought of ordering 1 to try out when i get around to changing a clutch again. wasn't sure of those were that nice or not.
                        [email protected] | jsebeny <--YouTube | Cell: 309-275-2453

Comment

Changed all mine. thank god someone invented them

Comment

Originally posted by JohnSebeny
                            i've thought of ordering 1 to try out when i get around to changing a clutch again. wasn't sure of those were that nice or not.
                            They are without a doubt a great help. If you are just cleaning the clutch and lubricating...you do not need to do any adjustment of the lower pin as it will already be set. Quick and easy...just one issue that I have seen. You will need to file the retainer every now and then. If you keep that spot lubed (I grease the roll pin before installing) you should never need to file it down.
                            TSM & TSM Training Development
                            Main Event Entertainment
                            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Yes, the zot kit is the best and easiest to use. would never go back to the long screws. When i had them I always used an air ratchet.
                              Pain is the weakness leaving body
                              Courage is the other side of Fear
                              RICK

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse