Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pit Cushion

I have a machine that the cushion is low enough the pins hit them and won't hardly go under. I know the shaker board is not too high. The links are not wore or loose either. Should I shim the hangers up some. I have never seen this before. All the bushings seem to be good also. I guess maybe the mounting holes might be elongated on the cushion itself.
    Pain is the weakness leaving body
    Courage is the other side of Fear
    RICK

Are your pit cushion tubes adjusted to the proper length?
    (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

I had the same thing a while back. Turns out that someone replaced the rubber on the bottom of the cushion. It was a whole inch and a half lower than a normal pit cushion! Check the height of that pit cushion against another one.

Comment

What type of cushion linkage are you using? Follower links or cam and roller kits?
        TSM & TSM Training Development
        Main Event Entertainment
        480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Carpet or carpet cover too thick? Any recent service done to the pit or cushion?

Comment

The tubes are straight but not sure of the adjuustment. On my old jet backs all I did was loosen the upper links until there was no weight on the cushion at the bottom About and 1/8 inch gap on the v levers at the top to make sure the links weren't supporting the cushion.
            As for as the bottom I don't have the standard cushion link. Not sure what they are but has a red round urethane piece on the inside on both sides. These are the way they were put in about 3 years ago. The pit board looks to were it should be compared to the ball wheel.
            The place were the pins touch are and pile up is mostly on the 7 pin side. Wonder if I need to do the measurement on the links on top of the machine again.
            I am really enthused about these 8 machines to wotk on, A lot of minor things to go through to work onand play with but nothing major. It will be fun without a lot of strenuous work
            RICK

Comment

The round red thing you are speaking of is the PPP cam and roller kit. These do make the cushion sit at a straighter angle than the original setup does (I didnt like that so I dont use them) What kind of cushion facing is on there and are they tied in place with tie wraps? I suppose you could add something under the mounting ears to lift the cushion up a little but I would go back and recheck the pit frame heights again. Another thing - do you have Zip carpets installed on top of the regular carpet?
              Although your links could be messed up - the pins should go under the cushion without the lift tubes installed. Maybe that cam and roller setup isnt put together correctly or is missing something and causing it to sit straighter than it should, effectivly lowering the lower edge of the cushion.

Marty - Pro Bowl West
              56 Jap A-2's Qubica VDB's
              2 Kustodian Walkers
              http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/a2mechanic

Comment

How many washers are there under the elevator frame?
                Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
                Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
                Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
                Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Measure the length of your shocks and compare them to other machines. I have seen variations of lenghts over the years.
                  Ray P. McGiveron
                  If your first fabrication doesn't work-keep adding metal
                  Be safe when you wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Murphy View Post
                    The round red thing you are speaking of is the PPP cam and roller kit. These do make the cushion sit at a straighter angle than the original setup does (I didnt like that so I dont use them)
                    This is exactly the reason I switched all 44 of my machines to them. With the cushion at less of an angle you aren't driving the balls down into the pit board so much. Less of a chance of getting a hole punched in them over time. JMHO.
                    You don't have to be crazy to do this job...But it helps!

Comment

Originally posted by theykeeponrunnin View Post
                      On my old jet backs all I did was loosen the upper links until there was no weight on the cushion at the bottom About and 1/8 inch gap on the v levers at the top to make sure the links weren't supporting the cushion.

This may be part of the issue...but somehow I doubt it. Although...the adjustment is not being done correctly. To set the upper (diagonal) links...drop the rake and measure the distance between the middle of the bolts at each end of the links. Center to center should be 52 23/32". Now rasie the rake back up (cycle back to 0 degrees) and adjust the bottom (vertical) links so the weight of the pit cushion is not on the links...as you stated above, there should be 1/16" to 1/8" gap at the top of the top (diagonal) links.

Next step I would take to try and determine the issue is to see if the pit conveyor frame is level side to side. Quick and dirty check is to look at the number of washers under the rear of the lower pit frame on each side. They should be the same. You may need to remove the pit conveyor drive arm on the 7 pin side so you can see the washers. If they are not the same...you should no doubt make them the same. Probably find more washers on the 7 side as you stated the pins are getting "stuck" on that side. If not...do you use any blocks to hold the pit board up on the sides of the upper pit frame? Could be one is farther forward than the other...lifting the board more than it should. As Rayman suggested, you should check the length of the shocks to be sure they are the same on each side. Measure from the center of the X-washer pins at each end of the shock while the rake is up (cushion down) to measure the length. How about the rubber grommets at each end of the shocks? Are they in good shape?

Let us know what you find...
                      TSM & TSM Training Development
                      Main Event Entertainment
                      480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

The reason I ask about the elevator washers is that you said the pit height is correct between pit conveyor and elevator. If the elevator is shimmed very high so would the elevator in order to have the correct height difference; which would bring it closer to the bottom of the cushion. This may be part of your issue.
                        Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
                        Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
                        Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
                        Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I go back up tonight to work and will take a look at everything said. I will let you know what comes up. As far as carpet covers there isn't any on the machines. They are just as they are when installed around 4 years ago. From what I was told they have always had trouble with the pins not coming off most of the machines

I would also like to talk the owners into slowing down the whole machine. They are running at full A2 speed. Kanga in my opinion it looks to me like all the elevators are too high. I will look at the washers again and count how many are there. if I remember right most of the pit frames had no washers at all. Looks like I will have a lot of things to do even for a little 8 lane center.
                          RICK

Comment

I worked last night and looked at the shims. Both pit conveyor and elevator have 3 shims under them. Also found that the pit cushion is split on the 7 pin side. Tonight or this afternoon I am going to do the measurements on the links too.
                            RICK

Comment

You might have a broken pit cushion steel plate just inside where you bolt the support arms on or a break a little further towards the middle. Had 2 machines last year all of sudden the pins wouldn't go under cushion and balls returning late and all adjustments were correct. You'll have to take cushion cover off to see it. Doesn't have to break all the way down. Just enough for the cushion to sag.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse