Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinsetter Cleaning

We're pretty new to the bowling industry and we have 10 pinsetters that are really dirty. Just wondering what everyone is using to clean with and what methods are best to clean. We spent the last year trying to rebuild and reduce calls and I guess I'll be cleaning this summer. They're Bad.
    Thanks

Dennis [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Pinsetter Cleaning

You'll get 6 different answers on what to use for cleaner. I use quality's hot shot cleaner, dilution ratio depends on how filthy they are. You'll need a shop-vac, and LOTS of rags (we get ours from an industrial laundry like most garages do).

Before you start, have the following handy:
    Grease gun (I use white lithium usually)
    Oil can with a good dripless oil
    Oil can with brake fluid (for rubber parts in the cushion assembly)
    Spray bottle full of pinsetter cleaner of your choice.

A good place to start is to remove the pit board and thoroughly scrub the carpet with laundry detergent and water, using a stiff bristle navy brush. While the board is out, vacuum out the pit and inspect the pit mounts.

Unless you start from the bottom of the machine, the dirt will migrate back up through the machine. Clean the cushion facing with pinsetter cleaner, then pin and ball wheels, and cushion linkages, and the rear frame assembly, Turn pan and cross conveyor next, turret basket wires, basket, and spoons. Then deck buckets, and deck assembly itself (vacuum deck first, makes it easier.

As you clean, LUBRICATE. If it moves, it usually needs some lubricant, but follow the charts to be sure you lube everything.

When we do our routine maintenance, we start with the backs, and do them all, then the tops, then the fronts. All hardware gets tightened, and all lube points get lubed.

If they're really gamey, don't get discouraged, and don't try to get ALL the crap off the first time, it'll never happen. The main thing is to get most of it off, and as you go through the machines, it'll get easier, and they'll get cleaner each time you do it. Right now, settle for getting most of it off, and getting some lubricant on all wear points:

Kevin
    Find it http://www.bowltech.com/content/btub...141#Post266141

Comment

Looking back on it it was probably a mistake. I used to by a couple of cases of carb cleaner and spray the gearbox's down then blow them off with the compressor. I don't know if it had any long term effect on anything.

A friend of mine took a JET-X sprayer to his machines the first time around. He rigged up a plastic kiddy pool with a hose attached and slid it under the setter to catch the run-off. Again, I don't know if that did any long term damage to the machines.

Kevins suggestion is on the nose. A little cleaning year round is better than once a year if you can staff it out that way.

Comment

My suggestion for cleaner is AMF's CD Orange dilluted 1:1 for the parts of the pinsetter that aren't greasy, like framework, accelerator trays for instance. Works very well to get the "smoke stains" off those parts. For greasy items (like when I was rebuilding pit cushion links) use AMF's Aero Orange solvent, its a aerosol canned cleaner, worked very well to break down and clean off nasty old oil and dirt, etc. By the way, I'm not a AMF salesman, but if you guessed that I work for them, your correct. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Our machines are pretty bad too. I've been doing some rebuilds, and cleaning at the same time.

Some of you may cringe at this method, but it works very well for me.

With the part removed, I use Castrol Super Clean at full strenght in a pump up sprayer and soak it down really good. Be careful on aluminum because if you let it sit for too long, it will become discolored. I then use a pressure washer to blast out the dirt grease, and oil. Then dry with some rags, or an air comp.

Be sure to do this BEFORE you rebuild the part. It will help you to see what's what.

This method leaves parts looking almost like new. (pain required for the really new look)

So far, I've done 3 detectors, and 2 complete deck assemblys with no bad side effects. Just be sure to re lube everything. Some of that grease and oil was there for a reason, but most of it was not.

For parts ON the machine, the above methods (not mine) are the best.

Once you get it clean, it is SO much easitr to keep clean. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
          <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by BrunsAce:
            This method leaves parts looking almost like new. (pain required for the really new look)[/QUOTE]

OOPS

I meant PAINT, although some times it can be the other way. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
            <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by A2 Guy:
              For greasy items (like when I was rebuilding pit cushion links) use AMF's Aero Orange solvent, its a aerosol canned cleaner, worked very well to break down and clean off nasty old oil and dirt, etc. [/QUOTE]

This is the best stuff I've ever seen. It literally melts and liquifies grease &amp; oil on contact. You would not be wasting any money trying out a can. Kind of like ZEP tank solvent in a can.

Comment

The main thing is to just be consistant don't try to kill yourself the first time thur the machines....p/m is a long term continuing project just take pride in it and treat each day as a challage.

Good luck
                Peanut
                Peanut

Comment

I also use Castrol Super Clean... work well at 1:1 ratio. I thin it down for most general cleaning.

billman
                  let me be myself

Comment

The center my buddy(head mech) and I work at were sadly neglected up until we came there 5 years ago. They would have at least 80-100 calls a night. Now this is just a 24 lane house. There were bungee cords and tie straps everywhere. You could just imagine the amount of filth these machines had on them. P/M, what's that!! Needless to say, getting parts were hard to come by. So it has been an uphill climb thus far. But now with majority of calls being Respots, OOR, and Deadwoods, we can now focus on P/M. As a cleaner we use a product by ZEP. Just with cleaning the backs of the machines and a little spray paint - has made even the owner pay a compliment or two.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Where can I locate this Castrol Super Clean or the Zep.
                      Dennis [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I get super clean from True Value Hardware

Billman
                        let me be myself

Comment

You can find super clean at Ace hardware too, and probably at several different auto parts stores.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse