Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Fall Pinsetters v String Pinsetters

I know that I am stirring up a hornets nest with this, but I am convinced that the days of the conventional Free-fall pinsetters are numbered. The main reason is the cost of keeping the pinsetters working and anybody that is in the business will confirm that this is a huge cost in the operation.
    Stringsetters on the other hand have very few moving parts, very low power consumption and also a faster cycle. The main opposition for the use is that the FIQ/WTBA are not recognising those machines, but the move has already started in Europe where some centres have changed over to Stringsetters.
    It is true that some hardened Tenpin bowlers don't like to play on them as the assumption is that the strings interfere with the pinfall. This is very minimal and the everage bowler will never notice. The other negative is that the pins are made of solid plastic and have not the "wooden" sound when hit. But the positive is for the operator; the pins last for many years before they have to be replaced, another huge saving.
    There are many opinions out there that the tangling of the strings are a problem; trust me that this is absolutely no issue with a good machine.
    I am sure that I will get a few opinions, both for and against. So let me know what you think.

As a bowler I will quit bowling before I ever bowl 10 pin on a string setter. Sorry.
    .... I have bowled 5-pin in Canada with string setters, but that is a different game with different type of pins that dont roll much (rings around the belly)
    * this space left blank intentionally *

Comment

Even if the strings interfere with pinfall just a little bit that is still interference, that does not happen....ever, with freefall.

I don't think Brunswick or QubicaAmf would be dumping all this money into their new machines if they thought freefall bowling would be going away anytime soon.
      Last edited by Tablejam; 04-08-2012, 12:43 AM.

Comment

The pins have the same shape and the same weight as the standard pins, therefore they do not roll around any worse. The same goes for the strings, they are totally free and have virtually no interference.
        I have been working with stringsetters since 2004, admittedly only in 9-pin bowling, but we have had to date absolutely no breakdowns with the stringsetters; we don't even have a mechanic. Who can claim this with free fall pinsetters of any brand?

Comment

"Virtually" no interference or "completely" no interference?

With no freefall pinsetters MANY techs would be out of a job... is that a good thing?

Comment

Well, the pins have strings attached to it, but I can not think of any time when the string rapped around a standing pin and toppled it. As a matter of fact, the string actually stops the pin from spinning on it's belly and mowing other pins down. Also, if you play in a centre with stringsetters, all of the other lanes have the same system, so it still comes down to skill.
            You are right, stringsetters would get rid of some mechanics jobs in the industry, but this will take a few more years yet. However it would save some centres from going to the wall due to the ever increasing costs; the mechanics salaries are one of the largest expenses; not to talk about the cost of spareparts. I also hear that there is a huge shortage of "good" mechanics.
            I am not trying to knock the freefall pinsetters, but even Brunswich now offers a string setter.
            The reason why I posted the in the first place was to encourage some discussion on the subject. If you are interested, have a look at my website: www.kegelsport.com.au and click on the tab just below the Home page tab "Testimonials".

Comment

My fiancee and her family are from Hungary, where stringsetters are the norm. She says the strings get tangled and a dude has to go back there and pull them apart. Very annoying!

Toby
              82-70B, Stepper chassis
              www.mooseexchange.org

Comment

USBC will surely disallow sanction for what they now consider a USBC league. Any string tugging another will count pin as down. Thus, it is not just a balls path and speed that accounts for pin fall. But from strictly entertainment, way less expensive to operate and maintain. And usually much shorter for easier scoring with tons less square footage.
                This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Hi Toby, they must have a lousy string pinsetter. I have operated 12 machines, some as far back as 2004, and the string tangling is no problem, as our installed machines have an automatic disentangling mechanism. This works very well and all that the machine does is reverse the motor to drop the pins down about 50cm and then try to pull tem up again. Usually, within the first try, the pins get free, as the weight of the pins unrap themself. The only time when we have to assist is when they actually get a knot in it, which happens maybe once a week on a lane.
                  To the comment from Ted, I like to say that the rope contributes not to the fall of the pins that are not hit but fall, it is always the hit pins that mow down other pins just as in the conventional system.

Comment

String pinspotters are relevant for fun applications. For the actual sport of ten-pin bowling, no.

Comment

Seanm, I noticed that you are located in Melbourne. I have installed last year 4 Kegel 9-pin bowling lanes at the Matthew Flinders Hotel in Chadstone and I would like you to have a look at the system; naturally with string pinsetters. Love to hear your comment regarding the pinsetters tangling the ropes - or lack of it.

Comment

Hey,...I found a mechanic fixing one in the first minute of this video......LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aesX...eature=related

Originally posted by Kegelmaster View Post
                        The pins have the same shape and the same weight as the standard pins, therefore they do not roll around any worse. The same goes for the strings, they are totally free and have virtually no interference.
                        I have been working with stringsetters since 2004, admittedly only in 9-pin bowling, but we have had to date absolutely no breakdowns with the stringsetters; we don't even have a mechanic. Who can claim this with free fall pinsetters of any brand?
                        --- SteveJT66

82/70's,kickers,Kegel Kustodian

Comment

That's funny.....tangle tangle.

What's with the purple lanes?

Comment

Easy to untangle and very seldom needed. See how easy the machine untangles it?
                            The lanes come in all different colours, but dark blue is the most popular. Also you can see how fast the cycle is, actually I am not a great friend of the Funk pinsetter, I believe it pulls the pins a bit to fast and therefore the pins have not enough time to sort themself out.
                            This is a very competitive sport in Europe and a lot more difficult as Tenpin. You will never see a perfect game as the 9 pins set in twice the area as Tenpin, skinnier and the ball is much smaller and lighter. The competition ball has no fingerholes and has to be delivered before the foul line.

Comment

I'm sorry, there is NO WAY I would take bowling on a string based pinsetter seriously. It's Freefall or DIE. (I can exclude European 9-pin since it seems no other option is available)
                              Like already stated, the only time a string setter is viable is in a family fun center arcade-ish type venue that doesn't host any sanctioned events and the patrons don't know any better.

If you're really worried, convert some alleys to Candlepin Bowl-mor's...low maintenance requirements and great pin-action.
                              "Oil patterns?!? We don't need no stinkin' oil patterns!"

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse