Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang, I wish I wouldn't have done that

I'm now one of the older guys.. I'm in my early to mid 50's.

Now I feel all of the stupid things I did as a young mechanic in this business.

Proper daily safety practices are heavily discussed these days, let keep your fingers from getting cut off and from breaking our legs or arms and so on.

There is so much day to day repetitive stuff we do that impacts us in the long haul.

All you 20 somethings out there pay attention, one day you will be 50................

Some things I used to do I wish I had not

Jumping from the step up between machines
    Not wearing knee pads while patching lanes
    Not wearing ear protection around the noisy equipment
    Not wearing shoes that protect my feet and back from shock of concrete floors.

Anybody from the 40+ crowd have anything to add?

Mike Wilson
    Bowl-Tech Inc.

Oh, you are so right.
    I'm 49 this year and both of my knees are painfull every day which i put down to the times crawling around on lanes and approaches.
    I wear 2 hearing aids which i contribute to lack of hearing protection.
    I remember when I was 16 using a angle grinder to remove turret clutch facings. Clearly remember the amount of dust it created and the fact that both my lower arms had small black specs all over them which were really itchy. I still suffer from a rash from time to time on both arms that causes me to scratch untill i rip skin off. Not sure if it's connected to this event or the fact that i used some pretty harsh chemicals on daily basis with no protection. Perhaps some sort of sensitivity causes it. Whatever it is, I picked it up from working in the bowl.

Hoping that I didnt breath in asbestos during the grinding event..... tIme will tell.

Comment

I might add that it's a good idea to watch where your stepping. Back in 2005 I stepped down to set a pin up and stepped on the pin itself. Rolled the ankle, blew up like a balloon immediately, had me rolling around the back aisle in pain. X rays the next day confirmed that I tore the ligament off the bone taking a small chip of bone with it.

DSCN2318.JPG

DSCN2329.jpg

Comment

As what the young think today, is no different than what we thought when we were there age. We are the old guys now the ones that used to tell us about all..... 55 now and just really got the message as to what they were saying

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
          Anybody from the 40+ crowd have anything to add?
          Looks like I don't qualify...yet.

Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
          Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
          Walker B, Sanction Standard & Original K
          Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Originally posted by Kanga (James) View Post

Looks like I don't qualify...yet.
            Hey James your getting mental and physical ages mixed up mate......

Comment

If it's mental, I'm a looong way off!
              Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
              Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
              Walker B, Sanction Standard & Original K
              Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Accident on a machine in 2012 put me in retirement (cut the end of my finger off in belt and pulley) now at 80 i'm enjoying my retirement.
                I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

Wish I hadn't stuck my finger in that socket, ooowwwww, LOL but seriously, I left strict instructions with all employees that they were NOT to open the Electrical box. There was nothing in there any of them were qualified to service. They were taught to properly test the fuses, recognize a turret or deck jam and clear them, reset the heater or clixon, reset the panel circuit breaker and That Was IT !!! Then call me. Had one manager who had little to no common sense, mechanical or electrical, who somehow figured out he could get the machine to run by holding the motor start relay down, (Until the 1:1 Cover Broke). After I drug his butt in front of the owner, (he had done some other bonehead moves previously), he was Not allowed in the Pits.
                  Everything has to be Somewhere !!

Comment

Talking about being sore, hurting joints, etc., I used to take one to two aleve a day just to combat the arthritis. After I was told about Fish Oil & Glucosamine Chondroitin, (2 of each every AM & PM), No more aleve!! Seriously. I still get sore if I overdo it but nothing like before and I'm 66.

Comment

I see a lot of mechanics these days wearing plastic gloves, another good idea. We absorb too many of the nasty cleaning chemicals, oil, and grease through our skin. My Moly 90-140 gear oil has a big warning on it, No skin contact. I wear gloves whenever I can...Read Warning Labels !! Look at what they tell you Before going in the pinsetter !! I'm not going to lie and tell you I've never used the mechanics switch to shut the machine off to clear a turn-pan jam or put a belt back on, ( a couple thousand times), but each time I do, I say tell myself, let's hope you don't loose a finger today. As a Power Plant Electrical Supervisor for 11 years and current Registered Master Electrician, we NEVER trust Control Circuits for Isolation. It is Main Power or Nothing. I don't know why Brunswick or some aftermarket company hasn't come up with a High Voltage set of switches in Series with the Main Breaker, 1 on the Masking Unit, 1 on the Rear of the machine to properly Isolate the pinsetter. (A simple 20 Amp 2-pole Switch would suffice) I did see one video where someone had put a High Voltage Switch on the rear of the machine with lockout capability !! The mechanic would physically put his lock on the switch before beginning servicing, just like in industry, (what a concept)

GBC 2 C.jpg Also saw another place that had installed a safety railing, suspended from the ceiling that ran the entire length of the catwalk. It did not get in the way and gave you a nice handrail to hang on to. (Keep us Old Guys from falling off)

Anyone come up with a good step mod from the top of the booster plank down to the pin light bar ??? You guys with accelerators have it easy. LOL

Comment

December last year...Turned around on the top board on the odd lane and stepped on the elevator pulley on the even lane...as I fell back to keep from falling in, my ankle slid between the pulley and 4:1 bellcrank...ball wheel grabbed my shoe and pulled me in while my leg was stuck under the pulley...no matter which way I turned my leg, the ball wheel wouldn't let go of my shoe...couldn't get it out until the machine cycled and the bellcrank moved out of the way...needless to say I don't walk across the tops anymore...
                        20160928_163536-1[1].jpg
                        "Don't expect too much and you'll never be let down..."

Comment

always ask or find help to lift heavy or objects that put tork on your back!
                          As a teenage in the ol patch The old guys would always warn us youngsters but we never listened.
                          Boy sure would be nice to not hurt so much after a hard days work, but if you can get a teen ager to listen and do what they are told publish it and you would make BANK!

Comment

...Like 400 lb lane machines.

Comment

60 now. Been bitten by the machines a few times now. Nothing fatal yet... Still certain that Health and Safety is excessive but then I'm old school when common sense prevailed. I've seen so many youngsters get bitten by their own casualness - complacency - stupidity......

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse

phoenix rebuild

phoenix lane machine we got from another of our centers
                              seems like pms were not done in a long time
                              and these are just some of the pics

Ball accelerator

Hello, would this crack in the accelerator motor cause an issue. It's brand new and have one on the way but, it won't be here until next week. I have a pair down due to the motor...

Testing Link Belting "PowerTwist Drive"

Recently got my hands onto some meters of these: http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwi...Drive-A/13/4L/

At first let me tell you that they are pretty sturdy and very...

Ion buffer brush

Have Kegel ion model B. Noticed the buffer brush rubbing up against the felt that's attached to the oil transfer assembly (the "door" you open to fill the tanks). This...

Preventative Maintenace - Brunswick A, Jets, A2 - Slow Machine - Semi Creepy Speed

I really liked the slower speed of Masternut but decided to go a little faster, (the M2SC Conversion - Mickey Mouse Semi Creepy Conversion LOL). Looking at the video on the...
                              Working...
                              X