Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another pinsetter/pinspotter death

Doesn't say what kind of machines they were (but note they used a stock pic of a GSX). This is why they have LOTO.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...&ICID=ref_fark
    Ector Rodriguez, owner of the Florence Bowling Alley, was killed Sunday after getting caught inside the pin setting machine.

...and it's already been posted, dammit.

Comment

Mok, I dont think we can post too much on this topic. Thanks for posting it in this forum.

Guys and Gals, We absolutely must NEVER cut corners when it comes to safety.

As many of us have experienced small accidents can happen in the blink of an eye, same goes for the big ones. Lets make sure we make it home to our loved ones at the end of the day.

Check, Double check and tripple check yourself, shortcuts are just not worth the risk.

Mike Wilson
      Bowl-Tech Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mok View Post
        Doesn't say what kind of machines they were (but note they used a stock pic of a GSX). This is why they have LOTO.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...&ICID=ref_fark
        I went the bowling centers Facebook page they have Brunswick pinsetters.
        Every Man Must Think Something, So I'll Think I Will Have Another Drink. W.C. Fields

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
          Check, Double check and tripple check yourself, shortcuts are just not worth the risk.
          I remember a post back in the day where someone went to crawl into an unused machine and shut off the masking unit switch. Unbeknownst to him, the switch was shorted.

Front counter gave out the lane, it lit up and cycled... he said he "made a mad dash for the pit" and ended up none the worse for wear.

Comment

That’s why ya NEVER rely on a switch to kill the power when inside a machine ONLY EVER physically remove the power source hey.
            AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

Originally posted by Pin_Head View Post
              That’s why ya NEVER rely on a switch to kill the power when inside a machine ONLY EVER physically remove the power source hey.
              In a perfect world, yes. I can't unplug our machines, best I can do is unplug the motor and I'm sure as hell not going to do that every time i need to get in or on a machine. I'll take my chances and rely on a switch to keep me safe.

I've been relying on electrical switches to keep me safe in all facets of life for as long as I can remember.

We only need to look at our surroundings to realise how much our everyday lives depend on switches.

Unfortunate accident that we dont even know all the facts about and may never know.

JMO

Comment

Generally you don't want to use the toggle switches alone. If you must (I don't condone it) you want to at least use two.

Untill we installed our external isolators we would only use the toggles to get into the machine to get to the control box circuit breaker or plug.

My (undirected) opinion on this sort of thing is if you (the teacher/trainer) choose to only use the toggle switches, or perform unsafe work practices, please don't teach others to. It's not fair to them if they don't know any better. You will also be held accountable if/when someone gets hurt. That's something I know I couldn't live with.
                Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
                Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
                Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
                Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

I agree James. Any single or double pole switch that cuts the power to the machine motor is in my opinion a perfectly safe procedure that will allow you to work on or in the machine. If I was working on the electricals I would only do so if the circuit breaker is open.

By all means pull the plug to the machine if it's convenient but certainly not a neccessity.

Again, we only need to look at the number of switches we rely to protect our safety in our every day life.

Comment

glad to here im not the only one that relies on switches, however if im ever between table & shuttle or im correcting an out of range switch(sitting upright on deck) then i always pull plugs. for the younger guys as you learn & put in your time you start to know whats not crucial like changing a 7 cup compared to a 1 cup. but you should always pull the plugs cuz you never know .ive been to one funeral, eagle bowl back in 99. first time caller here, good evening fellow mech's

Comment

Another thing I teach with any A/A2 (especially link machines) is to place the machine on second ball and check that that the holding hook has properly engaged the pin if you're going under the deck. If you have the threaded rod style link you most definitely do not want to rely solely on it holding the deck up. Regardless, yoke or link, it's good safety practice.
                      Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Have never had a lowering link break, nor ever heard of one breaking. I work under a 3.5 ton car on the hoist with a lb to lb comparision, has less meat holding it up than the link holding a 300lb deck.

I guess you can never b too careful but I reckon you stand more a chance being run over in the carpark than the link falling and the deck dropping.

No disrespect intended.......JMO

Comment

Agreed, we can get injured or killed in numerous ways, but we can't ever assume our safety or gamble with it...regardless of what we are or aren't paid. I'm not, if I can help it anyway.

I started this preventive measure after reading the thread link below; not only that, it only has to happen once. It takes nothing to put the machine on second ball. I couldn't live with myself if I knowingly had someone have an accident if I knew better.

http://www.bowltech.com/forum/pinset...nk?view=thread

Also keep in mind these machines are getting older. It won't be long before we hear unusual failures due to metal fatigue and more inexperienced people making mods and adjustments.
                          Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Only broken link I've ever seen in over 30 years in the industry. At Kelmscott Tenpin Bowl which closed over 5 years ago.

Never been a big fan of this type of link, I haven't seen an original type break ever.

Mind you, I believe it wasn't adjusted properly to begin with - the nuts were probably not adjusted evenly (and I had no idea what the welding on the nuts was for?).

At least the 8 lanes where I'm working at the moment still have the original style lowering links.

20130301_112134.jpg20130305_171208.jpg

Comment

Cheap ass u bolt that brunswick used to increase profits.
                              Personally, have never seen one in the field. If this is the link that James was referring to, I agree, drop the holding hook into the latching position when going under the deck.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Oil in gutters

I have a Kustodian ion Lane machine. I have recently replaced the oil tip assembly and hose. Recently I have been noticing about every couple feet in the gutters I am getting...

C1 Pinout drawing

Finished the C1 drawing.

The base for this came from a drawing made by Felix dated 2006.

Thanks Felix.

If you see any...

CCD Processor Move by Masternut

These are pictures submitted by "MASTERNUT" of a project in his bowling center where he moved his CCD processor boards from the location on the capping to the curtain...
                              Working...
                              X