• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health ans Safety Law (UK)
    b69-annex2.pdf

Comment

Noise at work
      Attached Files
      Last edited by direct; 11-08-2014, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Ear Defenders: img496.jpgimg836 Peltor Optime III.jpg

Comment

Protect Your Hearing:
          Protect Your Hearing.jpg

Comment

Be Safe Working on Machinery (Page 12)
            http://cleanslateltd.co.uk/uploads/b...and-safety.pdf
            img560.jpg

Comment

Attenuation Ratings of Ear Defenders:

Comment

Dos and don’ts of machinery safety for workers
                http://www.hse.gov.uk/toolbox/machinery/safety.htm

Basic Safety Rules For Power Tools

http://www.teched101.com/pdf/powtolsaf.pdf

Be Safe (Page 28)
                http://www.healthandsafetyworksni.go..._nov_2013_.pdf

Do not distract people operating machines; which includes speaking to them. (Page 2)
                http://doug.arch.rpi.edu/wordpress/a...esS14_Jan9.pdf
                https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...79189006,d.d2s

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                  We have 50 lanes & OSHA did come in one night during lgs to chech sound levels. I don't remember the DB level but they said that we could work at that DB level for 4 hrs without ear protection. They added that we were the "quietest" center that they had ever checked.
                  When the place was built they made everything 1" larger than what it was suposed to be & put 1' of insulation on ceiling & back wall with a thin fabric covering it to keep it in place. Chicken wire over that. Later we added a carpet mural on the wall at #1 & #50. Ran it from settee to back end. That cut the already fairly quiet even more.
                  If I were soundproofing an existing place my choice would be carpet.on the walls & ceiling. You could probably pick up something for free if you can find a hotel or something of that size that's replacing their carpet. It doesn't have to be a thick nap either. The wall murals we have are just indoor/outdoor type stuff.
                  If daily noise levels reach an average of 85 dBA:
                  If you must work somewhere with daily noise levels at or above 85 dBA the law makes the wearing of ear protectors compulsory. So, in addition to the actions listed above, your employer must make sure that you wear them - if they don’t, they can be taken to court. Average daily or weekly exposure levels, after taking into account any hearing protection, should never be above 87 dBA and sound levels must never peak above 140 dBA at someone’s ear. Your employer must also clearly mark ear protection zones – areas where you must wear ear protection.
                  However, the regulations also require employers to ensure noise levels are minimised before resorting to ear protection, such as installing sound reduction equipment and taking noise levels into account when ordering new machinery.
                  When it is suspected that noise in the workplace is a problem, a risk assessment needs to be carried out to estimate employees’ exposure and work out what needs to be done to comply with the law. The employer must ensure that this is drawn up by someone who is competent to carry out the task and is based on advice and information from people who are competent to provide it.
                  All industry sectors in Great Britain are covered by the Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005 except for the music and entertainment sectors where they came into force on 6 April 2008. Contact the HSE for more information - see page 6 for details.
                  HOW CAN HEARING LOSS AT WORK BE PREVENTED?
                  Despite the regulations outlining employers’ specific responsibilities, it is also the responsibility of all workers to ensure that they take necessary precautions to protect their hearing from noise-induced hearing loss:
                  • Advise your employer to undergo a full noise assessment – contact the HSE for more information
                  • Be aware what noises can be damaging to your hearing, and wear ear protection around them
                  • Use your ear protection in all designated areas - there will be signs to show you
                  • Make sure you fully understand how to use and care for your ear protection
                  • Tell your employer if there is a fault with either your own ear protection or the noise control equipment
                  • Suggest to your employer ways of further reducing noise levels in the workplace
                  Remember: Do not remove ear protection in an Ear Protection Zone even for short periods. Removing protectors in an environment with 107 dBA for just one minute would give a noise dose equal to the recommended level of 80 dBA for 8 hours.
                  HOW LOUD IS TOO LOUD?
                  Noise is measured in dBA, which is a decibel scale modified to take into account the sensitivity of human ears to different pitches of sound. It is a logarithmic scale, which means that an increase or decrease of 3 dBA represents a doubling or halving of intensity, the energy it contains. So, for example, 73 dBA is twice as intense as 70 dBA. However, due to the way we hear sounds, a person with normal hearing will only think a sound has doubled in loudness when it is ten times more intense. For example: 80dBA will only sound twice as loud as 70dBA despite actually
                  having ten times as much energy!
                  An average conversation will reach around 60 dBA while a busy street can peak at 80 to 90 dBA. Generally, exposure to sound levels below 80dBA are unlikely to cause any hearing damage. Prolonged exposure to sounds over 80 dBA can damage your hearing and the risk increases as the sound level increases. So at 140 dBA noise causes immediate injury to almost any unprotected ear.
                  As a general guide, if you have to shout to make yourself heard by someone two metres away the noise level could be dangerous.
                  Although there are laws about acceptable levels of noise in different situations, it is impossible to set an objective noise level that is safe for all. Provided the ear is allowed ample rest afterwards, a level of 80 dBA might be tolerated for up to 8 hours, but increase that level by just 3 dBA and the time is reduced to just 4 hours. By 95 dBA the tolerance is less than 15 minutes.
                  However, no two people will have an identical tolerance to noise. Research suggests
                  that a genetic predisposition towards hearing loss is an important factor.
                  http://www.deafnessresearch.org.uk/f...se-at-work.pdf
                  http://www.deafnessresearch.org.uk/f...0at%20work.pdf

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/health-and-work-handbook.pdf
                  http://www.gmc-uk.org/static/documen...13_Revised.pdf
                  http://www.mindfulemployer.net/Reque...s%20Report.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by amfpinboy View Post
                    After forty years of service in a bowling center,I now have tinnitus that keeps me awake at night with a constant tone in my head. I've been using the soft ear plugs from Graingers for the past two years.They reduce the noise impact and I'm still able to hear a mis-feed. Everyone should start some type of a noise reduction program before it's too late. Tinnitus cannot be reversed.
                    I was diagnosed with tinnitus after 5.5 years of service. A Doctor from a hospital said me that they will not treat me at the moment bacause I can sleep. However, he sent me to MRI department so I am waiting now for the results.
                    Now I hear noise in the mornings and evenings and at daily time. My employer sack me in advance when I remind my legal right to be protected. They refused to provide me with correct yellow or red ear defenders in 3 months when my were broken (I used the cheapest green ones). Next I had ear infection and perforation of ear drum. I am sure that the main reason of tinnitus is the fact that the employer forced us to have ear pieces/loud speakers inside of ear defenders. Side effect is a peak noise up to 90-100 dBA straightaway into the ear in case of is charge of the cheap Motorolla Radios or because or misuse radios by other staff (they put a socket of ear piece on the half to the radio). The employer does not care about this at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ;n68794
                      Re: How do you deal with noise???

IS there no legislation to protect you?

Here in the U.K. I had the HSE (Health & Safety Legislation) visit when the centre opened and request that an noise assesment was undertook. The results of this specify the minimum protection that must be used ( regardless of cost).

On the subject of protection what other forms do you use? On there visit the HSE tried to enforce the use of CHAINMAIL gloves when working on machines. Fortunately we managed to escape this one. Upon inspection of our COSHH (chemical stuff..) they suggested that respirators be used when using Aquarius Approach cleaner.

How far do you go?

Kelvin
                      HSE do not control bowling leisure centres in the UK. Occupation Health Officer fro a local council are responsible for that. As you guess there is corruption here and they do little.

Comment

Originally posted by amfpinboy View Post
                        Re: How do you deal with noise???

After forty years of service in a bowling center,I now have tinnitus that keeps me awake at night with a constant tone in my head. I've been using the soft ear plugs from Graingers for the past two years.They reduce the noise impact and I'm still able to hear a mis-feed. Everyone should start some type of a noise reduction program before it's too late. Tinnitus cannot be reversed.
                        Loud noise can damage hearing permanently. Hearing of people working in noisy environment should be checked every 3 years or every year i people have problems. The employer is responsible for that.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Upgraded Motor Contactor

Hey all. Just had a motor contactor go on one of our machines. I remember seeing new cube relays or solid state contactors we could replace them with. Anybody got a part number...

C1 Pinout drawing

Finished the C1 drawing.

The base for this came from a drawing made by Felix dated 2006.

Thanks Felix.

If you see any...

CCD Processor Move by Masternut

These are pictures submitted by "MASTERNUT" of a project in his bowling center where he moved his CCD processor boards from the location on the capping to the curtain...
                        Working...
                        X