• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheWalkingGeek
    started a topic 3D Printed Half Scale Pinsetter

3D Printed Half Scale Pinsetter

Hello everyone,

I had posted the beginnings of a finger design a while ago, but I have recently begun to seriously work on a half scale machine. I decided to hold back on respotting for now (Although I have a design reasonably working) and instead focus on spotting a new set.

Here is a video I made going over my progress: https://youtu.be/sgk1oRRxaJg (sorry for the mediocre quality)

Before I go any further, I want to say that a majority of the information I typed below is already in the video. I also want to mention that all plastic parts are 3D printed. All designs were 3D modeled by me, with the exception of the gears on the pin holder (I modified a design from thingiverse.com). My dad helped me to put the wood frame together. The color of plastic has no significance. It's just whatever I found cheapest on Amazon, and I switched rolls/colors whenever I ran out.

So far I've made a GS-like pin holder assembly that seems like it's setting down pins pretty well. Instead of a solenoid, each holder has a servo attached that I can control using an Arduino Mega. This will also let me pick and choose pins to set. Each holder will also have a paddle that hits a switch that will be used for scoring (although I haven’t printed all of them yet).

The entire table is mounted on a track used for closet doors. The table itself was cut using a friend of a friend's CNC machine. Currently, the frame and table are made of wood, but eventually, I am interested in getting at least some of it to be metal (there's a little bit of play in the frame) or to add metal supports.

I have also been working on the scoring/programming component quite a bit. I decided to make a proprietary scoring that can send commands to and from the arduino. For example, I can send power commands, pinfall data, run cycle commands (including reset cycles where not all pins are set), and error codes. The idea is anything that would normally be done on a back panel I will be able to do from the scoring. So far I have to type these commands manually into the computer, but eventually I want to make some sort of GUI for this and have it beneath a settings menu and integrated better with the main scoring window.

The one thing I am currently struggling with is finding a motor to run the table (and eventually another motor for a sweep). If anyone has a recommendation for a motor I would really appreciate it.

If anyone has any questions or any recommendations, please feel free to provide feedback. Thanks!

• brokenpin
    replied
    Nice looking mini pins

Leave a comment:

• TheWalkingGeek
    replied
    Originally posted by theultimateandy View Post
    Nice work! I am looking forward to seeing the table motorized. The re-spot cells sound just like mine when they open up.
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• theultimateandy
    replied
    Nice work! I am looking forward to seeing the table motorized. The re-spot cells sound just like mine when they open up.

Leave a comment:

• TheWalkingGeek
    replied
    Originally posted by coasterp View Post
    How are you planning to actuate these? Also, are you using the head of the pin to hold your table up when doing respot or do you have a stop on the machine that stops it at a desired height?
    I was thinking of using servos on either side of the back row. There is a metal piece of angle iron in the back the I would connect to. I’m not sure how powerful of servos I need though so that part is on hold until I can figure out how much torque is needed.

I want to eventually have the table held at the respot position. This would make it a tad bit more complicated, but for strikes it would keep the table from crashing down.
    Last edited by TheWalkingGeek; 07-09-2017, 02:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• coasterp
    replied
    How are you planning to actuate these? Also, are you using the head of the pin to hold your table up when doing respot or do you have a stop on the machine that stops it at a desired height?

Leave a comment:

• TheWalkingGeek
    replied
    I just finished the fingers, and they also no longer interfere with setting a new set of pins!

I'm thinking I'm going to work on the distributor next. I have an idea that combines roll over bins with a GS-like distributor to allow for storing 20 pins in the pin stations as opposed to only 10. This will probably take a while to get going though.
    Last edited by TheWalkingGeek; 07-07-2017, 04:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheWalkingGeek
    replied

Look for a fastener supplier near you. You can buy boxes of typically 100 screws or nuts for pretty cheap. DO NOT buy from Fasental. They are SUPER expensive. If you need low quantity (3 or 4 of something), Lowes or Home depot should work. They have a decent selection.
    Good to know about that. Unfortunately for the most part I need <10.

Lowes and Home Depot actually didn't sell screws small enough for some of the microswitches, servos, and parts I designed. I ended up going to Ace hardware. They have a much wider selection of smaller screws (M2, M2.5, and wider selections of M3 and #4).

Leave a comment:

• coasterp
    replied
    Originally posted by TheWalkingGeek View Post

Not only that, but bolts are also half the size. It took me 3 stores to find bolts small enough, and whenever I put anything in, I suddenly become a contortionist!
    Look for a fastener supplier near you. You can buy boxes of typically 100 screws or nuts for pretty cheap. DO NOT buy from Fasental. They are SUPER expensive. If you need low quantity (3 or 4 of something), Lowes or Home depot should work. They have a decent selection.

Leave a comment:

• TheWalkingGeek
    replied
    As for your clearance issues, get used to that. Its gonna happen a lot. Its tough working with half the tolerance of a full size machine without the ability to fully shrink all the parts by half. It requires some unique engineering solutions.
    Not only that, but bolts are also half the size. It took me 3 stores to find bolts small enough, and whenever I put anything in, I suddenly become a contortionist!

Leave a comment:

• coasterp
    replied
    Looking good. As for your clearance issues, get used to that. Its gonna happen a lot. Its tough working with half the tolerance of a full size machine without the ability to fully shrink all the parts by half. It requires some unique engineering solutions.

Leave a comment:

• TheWalkingGeek
    replied
    I have the start of being able to respot pins, and I have the plates in order to score done. Unfortunately things aren't necessarily working yet, but I thought this would be a good midpoint for a progress update.

I'll end up having to make quite a few modifications to the finger drive due to clearance with the 5, 8, and 9 pins (detailed more in the video).

I tried to slow down my movements, but it's still a bit fast in some parts (especially 4 minutes and on). I'll try to be better in the next progress update and hopefully mount my phone.

https://youtu.be/HdsLAlK_UZo
    Last edited by TheWalkingGeek; 07-04-2017, 07:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PJ
    replied
    Quite impressive.

Leave a comment:

• PharrMetechs
    replied
    Originally posted by TheWalkingGeek View Post
    this machine is like the 82-70 series from amf and the gs from bruins-wick combined
    Last edited by PharrMetechs; 06-17-2017, 09:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PharrMetechs
    replied
    that is awesome man good luck on the rest of the project cant wait to see it finished!!!
    if you need any other help let me know ill see what i can do for you

Leave a comment:

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse