PDA

View Full Version : Weird Candlepin Pinsetter

Bowler4Ever
03-15-2007, 06:13 PM
This is a really weird candlepin pinsetter. Does anyone know any information about it or how it works? (It is a video from me) Weird Candlepin Pinsetter (http://youtube.com/watch?v=VlYSCHlab4Q&mode=related&search=)

Candlepin_Guy
03-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Its a machine by a company called Jayne. I beleive Lanes and Games is the only house that has them. If you think the sweep looks weird, wait till you see the tube board. It comes from the back on an angle and isn't suspended over the pindeck. This makes for weird pin action sometimes because when you punch pins they don't bounce off the tubes because well, they arent there. You'll notice this if you watch your video.
http://www.bowltech.com/content/btubb/gallery/default/full/472.jpg

http://www.bowltech.com/content/btubb/gallery/default/full/473.jpg

Enjoy!

Bowler4Ever
03-16-2007, 01:01 AM
How are the pins removed from the pit to the setter?
Same with the ball?

Candlepin_Guy
03-16-2007, 01:13 AM
To tell the truth, I dont really know. I havent seen them in person as I am from Canada. Sorry.

Bowler4Ever
03-16-2007, 02:44 AM
I can't find anything in a Google search on them!

OlderNotWiser
03-16-2007, 03:19 PM
In 1983 and 1984 I managed the old Holyoke (MA) Bowladrome. At that time, we had those Janes machines. I was amazed at the time, because I had never seen them before! I was told by Charlie Soskovic (who owned the Drome then) that the Janes machines were the original candlepin machine. They were actually prototypes from either the 1920's or 1940's (sorry, I forget which). There were only 40 or so made. We had 20, and the others "were near Boston". Personally, I wish there was some more info out there because the machine itself was fascinating, and certainly ahead of its time.

From what I remember, the pit of the machine had a moving AMF type carpet that brought the pins and balls to the rear of the machine. I don't remember the assembly that moved the pins and balls to the top, but I think it was a cross between a conventional pinwheel and the Bowl-Mor rod and chain assembly that moves both pins and balls. I want to say it covered more area than the BMs do, but I couldn't swear by that. Obviously, the balls exited when they could go no higher onto the return track. The pins continue to the top of the machine. We called it a "magazine". Not sure if there's an actual term for it. The magazine is a gravity fed pin holding device. It was made of wood and it took 60 pins to fill it up! The pins would move over the top and drop into their appropriate slots, each one when full wouldn't allow any more pins in that slot. Once to the bottom of each individual pin slot, a slide type mechanism held the pins in place that the bowler would then see the bottom of while bowling. Each of these mechanisms had a long metal rod that when the deck came down to set the pins, would stick out, thus locking out the assembly from pins falling into it while the deck was down setting a rack of pins. Once the deck returned to it's original position, the rods were all pushed into place and the pins slid forward...the next rack ready to go!

Almost forgot to mention the sweep mechanism was all run by air compressor! I forgot that part until I went back and looked at the photos! Amazing stuff!

They were quirky and fun machines to work on!

The center in Holyoke is now called Fun Time Lanes. I was told a long time ago that they took out the old Janes and put in Bowl-Mor's. I haven't been there in over 20 years, so I couldn't say for sure. If you get the chance to talk to the people who run Lanes & Games, maybe they could give you some more info? And by all means, be sure to share it here!!!

Bowler4Ever
03-16-2007, 06:46 PM
In 1983 and 1984 I managed the old Holyoke (MA) Bowladrome. At that time, we had those Janes machines. I was amazed at the time, because I had never seen them before! I was told by Charlie Soskovic (who owned the Drome then) that the Janes machines were the original candlepin machine. They were actually prototypes from either the 1920's or 1940's (sorry, I forget which). There were only 40 or so made. We had 20, and the others "were near Boston". Personally, I wish there was some more info out there because the machine itself was fascinating, and certainly ahead of its time.

From what I remember, the pit of the machine had a moving AMF type carpet that brought the pins and balls to the rear of the machine. I don't remember the assembly that moved the pins and balls to the top, but I think it was a cross between a conventional pinwheel and the Bowl-Mor rod and chain assembly that moves both pins and balls. I want to say it covered more area than the BMs do, but I couldn't swear by that. Obviously, the balls exited when they could go no higher onto the return track. The pins continue to the top of the machine. We called it a "magazine". Not sure if there's an actual term for it. The magazine is a gravity fed pin holding device. It was made of wood and it took 60 pins to fill it up! The pins would move over the top and drop into their appropriate slots, each one when full wouldn't allow any more pins in that slot. Once to the bottom of each individual pin slot, a slide type mechanism held the pins in place that the bowler would then see the bottom of while bowling. Each of these mechanisms had a long metal rod that when the deck came down to set the pins, would stick out, thus locking out the assembly from pins falling into it while the deck was down setting a rack of pins. Once the deck returned to it's original position, the rods were all pushed into place and the pins slid forward...the next rack ready to go!

Almost forgot to mention the sweep mechanism was all run by air compressor! I forgot that part until I went back and looked at the photos! Amazing stuff!

They were quirky and fun machines to work on!

The center in Holyoke is now called Fun Time Lanes. I was told a long time ago that they took out the old Janes and put in Bowl-Mor's. I haven't been there in over 20 years, so I couldn't say for sure. If you get the chance to talk to the people who run Lanes & Games, maybe they could give you some more info? And by all means, be sure to share it here!!!
Lanes and Games run THREE different pinsetters. Two for candlepins and one for tenpin.
The first floor is all candlepin. Janes pinsetters. Top floor, the first 10 or 12 lanes are Bowl-Mor Model E's, the remaining lanes, which are tenpins, are Brunswick A's.
Just wanted you to know what was there just in case you never went there. My friend and I, the next time we go, might ask to go into the back and see these big monstrous pinsetters on the first floor. Thanks for the info!

OlderNotWiser
03-17-2007, 09:32 AM
If it's possible, I would suggest going when it's not too busy. This might increase your chances of getting back there to see them. Also, ask the owner/manager if it would be OK to take some pix/video of them in action. That would be really cool!!!

BTW, don't know if you're aware of a website that has a lot of candlepin houses:

http://candlepingallery.com

There's some real cool stuff there!

Please keep us posted, as I would love to be able to see some of the machines I haven't seen in such a long time! Thanks!!!

Bowler4Ever
03-17-2007, 11:27 AM
I've had some of my YouTube videos put on Candlepin Gallery, actually!

If you saw the Spread Eagle split conversion, that was from me

OlderNotWiser
03-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Good cover!

Deadwood rules! (and the HBO show was good too!!!)

rcman27
04-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Someone have info for candlepin machine made by AMF? Pics, video?

Hakenson
04-03-2007, 11:56 AM

Here is the patent for the AMF candlepin machine.
http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=0330...View+first+page (http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=03307847&homeurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpatft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fn ph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO2%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526u%3D% 25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsearch-adv.htm%2526r%3D5%2526p%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2 526d%3DPALL%2526S1%3D%252522candlepin%252522%2526O S%3D%252522candlepin%252522%2526RS%3D%252522candle pin%252522&PageNum=&Rtype=&SectionNum=&idkey=NONE&Input=View+first+page)

OlderNotWiser
04-03-2007, 07:18 PM
http://candlepingallery.com/pages/housepages/maine/oldtown.htm

This is Old Town Lanes in Old Town, ME

The masking units and ball returns are AMF candlepin equipment. There aren't any pictures of the machines, but the foot pedal under the ball rack indicates that the machines are probably AMF. Riverdale Lanes in West Springfield, MA had 16 AMF candlepin lanes about 25 years ago, so I am familiar with the AMF machines. I'd go check out Old Town firsthand, but Mapquest tells me its over 500 miles!

Any BTers in that part of Maine?

Bowler4Ever
04-05-2007, 12:21 AM
Well, there is this video on YouTube and the machines in it are AMF's.

To me, with the info OlderNotWiser provided, the Jayne's are a mix of AMF candlepin, 1930s Sherman Duckpin setters (magazine and conveyor to rear of machine), and the speed of a Bowl-Mor Model E. By far, I think the Jayne's are actually the best, because when I bowled on those lanes, there were no breakdowns whatsoever!

OlderNotWiser
04-05-2007, 06:14 AM
B4E, do you have a link for that YouTube video?

Bowler4Ever
04-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Which one? The Sherman video?

YouTube - The Sherman Duckpin Pinsetter (http://youtube.com/watch?v=evjuygdaXfw)
YouTube - The Jayne's Pinsetter (http://youtube.com/watch?v=VlYSCHlab4Q) (Well, me bowling on it, you can see the cycle(s)).

OlderNotWiser
04-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks B4E, I've seen both of those (thanks and good job, btw!). I thought you meant there was an AMF candlepin video.

Bowler4Ever
04-05-2007, 05:38 PM
There is!

Inside this one video (search "seventh frame" or "7th frame" on YouTube and there will be a "movie" with a person vs. the devil. There will be a couple short snippets of the AMF candlepin pinspotter

OlderNotWiser
04-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the info. I just watched it, and that's not the AMF machine though. It's a BowlMor, but it doesn't have the regular spotting tubes. The sweep and the way the deck moves are consistent with the BowlMor machine. The AMF was kind of like a cross between the Janes and the BowlMor on steroids.

If you can, check out Hakenson's link to the patent site. The drawings do a reasonable job of illustrating the machine.

Bowler4Ever
04-05-2007, 06:52 PM
I did, I could only see one of the pictures, though

rcman27
04-05-2007, 07:11 PM
It's a Bowlmor machine...

Sorry...

Bowler4Ever
04-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Guys, I just got off the phone with my friend and tomorrow we'll be going to Lanes and Games and we hope to get video of the Jayne's pinsetters in action! Wish us luck tomorrow /content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Candlepin_Guy
04-06-2007, 01:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rgLAd3gkPI Check these out. They are in Syndey Nova Scotia Canada. I dont know if they are Bowl-mor E's or AMF's. What are the thoughts of everyone else?

OlderNotWiser
04-06-2007, 06:56 AM
B4E: GOOD LUCK! That would really be great to see!

F/C Guy: I haven't seen the AMF machine since somewhere around 1979-1980. Those in Sydney seem to operate at the same speed, the sweep differs from the BowlMor, the table looks like what I remember. Based on that, I would say they probably are the AMF's. Cool stuff...I hadn't seen that video before. Thanks!

And as always, more info is always welcome!

Brianlah
04-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Based on the speed they are resetting they look like AMFs to me.Ive never seen a Bowl mor run that quickly.

Brianlah
04-06-2007, 09:07 AM
There is a link in here with a picture of the 82-95 Candlepinspotter .Ill post it when I find it.The 82-95 was kind of a cross between an 82-70 and a 82-30 except for the fact it was a Candlepin machine of course.The balls and pins both went into the pinwheel Balls drop off into a center track .There was a pin counter mounted on the pinwheel which only allowed 10 pins to be counted at a time.Pins went up onto the Distributer which was like a 30s Dist.It rode on a track (Same Track as the 30s) The dist. stayed at one level all the time so no need for panagraph arms.The Table and sweep ran together off of one motor with a coupler in the middle of the 2 shafts.The fast speed caused this coupler to break if the keyway got loose or worn It was very important to keep that tight.So 2 motors ran the machine the backend motor and the front end motor.The pit had a carpet same as any AMf machine No balldoor.Ill try and that picture for you....Brian

Bowler4Ever
04-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Let's just hope they're even open today! /content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Well, I'll let you guys know if we had any luck this afternoon. /content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

rcman27
04-07-2007, 10:57 AM
AMF much fast than a Bowlmor...

Will be interrestning to see amf in action.

Bowler4Ever
04-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Sorry, guys, but I couldn't go behind the lanes for insurance reasons since I'm under 18. Jason and I did, however, bowl on a lane upstairs with a Bowl-Mor Model E pinsetter. Man, those things are fast! /content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Candlepin_Guy
04-07-2007, 11:52 PM
I knew the Bowl-mor E's were fast too! So the machines in the Sydney clip could also be Model E's too.

rcman27
04-10-2007, 08:55 PM
82-95 pics

http://www.bowltech.com/content/btubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=101519

Bowler4Ever
04-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Bowl-Mor Model E pinsetter...small clip (with cycle) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=WHV1Me7RP8c)

Candlepin_Guy
04-20-2007, 02:02 PM
ooh, thanks!

Candlepin_Guy
04-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Ooh, I was just informed, that the machine you just posted is the AMF, not the Model E. The AMF has the casters on the sweep and the Model E doesn't. Looking at this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rgLAd3gkPI there is no casters and its smoother running, which I was told would be the Model E.

Bowler4Ever
04-20-2007, 03:55 PM
You sure the machine I posted isn't the Bowl-Mor? The sweep motion on the video you posted looked and acted like an AMF would

Candlepin_Guy
04-20-2007, 07:21 PM
I dont know really. It's just what I was told by a respected candlepin bowler, who's had exprience's with both machines. (yes, I mean YOU steve)

Bowler4Ever
04-20-2007, 07:54 PM
I think the one in the video you posted HAS to be an AMF. Somehow, it looks like the pins are flipped down just a pinch AND I didn't see any sort of back plate behind the head pin cup. Just the motion of the sweep gave it away, too /content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

OlderNotWiser
04-24-2007, 06:52 AM
One of the things that I distinctly remember about the AMF machine was the way the table starts to drop while the sweep was still in motion, back toward the bowler. Based on that, I would agree that the Sydney video must be the BowlMor Model "E" (I've never seen those in person) and B4E, that is definitely the AMF machine, despite the Gold Crown masking unit. Which house is that, btw?

Candlepin_Guy
04-24-2007, 04:26 PM
That's Lanes and Games in cambridge Mass

OlderNotWiser
04-25-2007, 06:38 PM
WOW! AMF's and Jayne's both in the same place! I hope they preserve them, as I'm sure there aren't many of either make left.

mikey
05-02-2007, 06:44 PM
i beleive thats an AMF machine. Model E the sweep is up BEFORE the tubes are up, simular to any other bowl-mor machine.

Jack_Sparrow
05-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Is it possible to download a Youtube video and convert it to a normal avi or wmv that can be viewed with windows media player? If so, how?

OlderNotWiser
05-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Jack, what I do is this:

I use Firefox for my browser. Firefox has a bunch of free "add-ons". The one I use is called "Video Downloader". It does a nice job at grabbing most ".flv" (flash video) files. When you go to save a video, you can name it whatever you like, just make sure you finish the file name with ".flv". I then use Total Video Player and Total Video Converter to watch and/or convert the flash videos.

You should be able to google any of those program names to find out where you can get them.

Hope this helps!

Van1
05-07-2007, 09:40 AM
you can also copy the url of the movie to the clipboard. Go to http://www.vixy.net and paste the Url where it says url. The program will then convert the flash video to .avi

Jack_Sparrow
05-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Older, that's an interesting array of machines that you have had your hands on. I've never had the opportunity to bowl candlepins. Would like to try it sometime.

Bowler4Ever
05-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Jack, let me tell you, it's a fun, but hard sport. You should try it, though. You'll like it /content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OlderNotWiser
05-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks Jack. Hazard of being a "bowling nomad" I guess! I've been around the Janes, AMF and BowlMor candles and 82-30s, 82-70s, A's and Jetbacks for tenpins! Worked mostly in management, but capable of at least chasing on all of 'em. Well, back in my youth anyway!!! What part of NY? Maybe some BTers can get together to introduce you to the game of candlepins? Let us know!

Van...Thanks for the tip. I've tried it, but it seems to always tell me "server is too BUZY"...LOL...their spelling, not mine!

Bowler4Ever
06-28-2007, 02:31 PM
OlderNotWiser: What models of Bowl-Mor's did you work on?

OlderNotWiser
07-09-2007, 07:27 AM
B4E: Not sure of the model name/number...they were the ones that are typically everywhere, not the newer ones. BTW, do you know off the top of your head if the duckpin house in Billerica is open during the summer?

Bowler4Ever
07-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Oh yeah! I was there a few days ago!

OlderNotWiser
07-10-2007, 07:19 AM
Thanks B4E. We're going to check it out!

Bowler4Ever
07-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Also, you should try the 6-lane establishment in North Chelmsford. They only open by reservations. http://www.gotduckpins.com is their website. You can find their phone number there. Enjoy! /content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif (Also, I think you'll enjoy the sound of those ancient Sherman's.)

TheMailMan
07-10-2007, 08:46 PM
BTW, do you know off the top of your head if the duckpin house in Billerica is open during the summer?

What is the name of that center?

OlderNotWiser
07-11-2007, 06:28 AM
Collins Bowladrome (978) 667-7154 325 Boston Road Billerica, MA (10 Lanes) (info from Robin's Web)

Bowler4Ever
07-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I only live about 15 minutes from Collins. I highly recommend at least an hour of bowling there. $18 all you can bowl for an hour. Up to six people I think. Manual (paper & pencil) scoring, too. So you can try your hand at math again! /content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

TheGMan143
07-25-2007, 07:22 PM
http://64.176.142.136/stuff/amfcandle.jpg

Click here for the larger version: http://www.globalgman.com/stuff/amfcndl_big.jpg

pinsetternutty
07-26-2007, 04:39 AM
wow cool pinsetter. thanks /content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif do you have any more ?

Bowler4Ever
07-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Besdies the Jayne's and the AMF 82-95? Nope, sorry...unless you wish to see the Bowl-Mor's!

Hakenson
07-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Where would you get parts for the AMF candlepin machine? Does AMF make parts for these anymore or do people have to make their own or use old machines for parts? Also pinsetternutty I will find the patent drawings for the AMF candlepin machine and post the link here for everyone to see. I have found it before and it looks really cool and simple to make if anyone is going to make a scale candle pin machine.

Hakenson
07-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Here ya go guys. The patent drawings for the AMF candlepin machine. http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=0330...View+first+page (http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=03307847&homeurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpatft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fn ph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO2%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526u%3D% 25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsearch-adv.htm%2526r%3D5%2526p%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2 526d%3DPALL%2526S1%3D%252522candlepin%252522%2526O S%3D%252522candlepin%252522%2526RS%3D%252522candle pin%252522&PageNum=&Rtype=&SectionNum=&idkey=NONE&Input=View+first+page)

Hakenson
07-27-2007, 07:52 PM
I also noticed that that pinsetter has the same looking track for the distributer as the 82-30

pinsetternutty
07-30-2007, 04:55 AM
/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Hakenson, is there another way to show what you sent us? my stupid computer can't show them.

TheGMan143
07-30-2007, 06:22 PM
wow cool pinsetter. thanks /content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif do you have any more ?

Unfortunately, my supply of AMF candlepin pics is pretty thin... I have a lot of equipment pics, but very few of this monster, and I'd love to get some more that show better detail of the bin, distributor, and table.

As far as I know, it's built around regular 82/30 technology, with the wheel, return, dist., bin, and table modified to handle the thinner, differently-shaped pins and the smaller balls.

Hakenson
08-14-2007, 10:03 PM
/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Hakenson, is there another way to show what you sent us? my stupid computer can't show them.
Sure here is a google search I found. I think here you can even download it. http://www.google.com/patents?id=vhZLAAA...as_maxy_is=2007 (http://www.google.com/patents?id=vhZLAAAAEBAJ&dq=candlepin+patent:3307847&as_drrb_ap=q&as_minm_ap=1&as_miny_ap=2007&as_maxm_ap=1&as_maxy_ap=2007&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=1&as_miny_is=2007&as_maxm_is=1&as_maxy_is=2007)

pinsetternutty
08-15-2007, 05:24 AM
wow thanks, they are just like the AMF 82-30

KrisW73
08-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Where would you get parts for the AMF candlepin machine? Does AMF make parts for these anymore or do people have to make their own or use old machines for parts?

From what the owner of the house where I work informed me, houses (even competitors) will go together for the parts that AMF doens't make anymore that need to be machined (bulk is cheaper).

Not 100% sure on the availability...however, I know of at least 2 AMF houses that closed within the past 5 years, so (I would guess) there are parts out there from those houses.

pinsetternutty
08-25-2007, 10:29 AM
would it be possibe for someone to get a video of these pinsetters?

Brianlah
08-26-2007, 12:56 PM
would it be possibe for someone to get a video of these pinsetters?
I just found out that the local VA has 6 of these machines still running I will check into getting a video.I just hired a part time janitor that works there so Im sure I can get something for you......Brian

Bowler4Ever
08-26-2007, 02:42 PM
If he's talking about the AMF spotters, I hope he's talking about the backend, because I'd like to see what's behind the masks, too

Candlepin_Guy
08-27-2007, 12:29 AM
I'd love a video also.

OlderNotWiser
08-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Good digging on that one Brian!

Good luck getting the video. I would also really like to see that!

pinsetternutty
08-28-2007, 06:58 AM
oh great. good luck getting the vid!

E_Dog
05-03-2008, 03:10 PM
The Machine in the vid (The 7th frame) is just a regular bowl-mor machine with short tubes.. they have them in several houses here in canada.

10pins
07-16-2008, 08:01 PM
When Bowler4Ever said he managed the bowl-o-drome in Holyoke Ma, in 1983 - 1984 it brought back memories as I had bowled junior league there and I also was very familiar with this machine as I bugged charlie(The Owner) For tours of the back all the time until he got sick of me but I had earned a little favortisim because I was the highest Ave. Jr. bowler ever 123 in candlepins at 13 years old and won 6 City championship titles. So I was always at the center and very interested in all machines at that time. I went back there last year as my mother still lives in Holyoke and stopped at the bowling center now called Fun Time Lanes. The person told me the story of how they changed the machanies for Bowl-Mors and how they took the 10 machanies out of the second floor window and brought the Bowl- Mors in the same way. All in all the center looks nice today with the Bowl- Mors and the AMF Concept 80 masking units. When it was the Bowl-o-Drome and had the Jayne Machines they really did'nt have a masking unit because one the sweep stuck out so far and two there was really nothing moving that needed to be hid from the bowler. There is one other bowling center in Canada on You Tube called Strand bowling lanes and I swear to god it looks like those are Jaynes machines and not the fast Bowl-Mor machine. Just watch the sweep run and right away you can tell it is a Jayne machine. Other than that Lanes and Games in Cambridge, MA is the only other center with these marvels of candlepin bowling. Hope this helps a little. 2008 -2009 league season starts soon!!!

10pins
07-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Ooops I meant to say OlderNotWiser worked at the Bowl-O-Drome not Bowler4Ever. Sorry for the mix up. 2008-2009 League season starts soon.

10pins
07-18-2008, 07:56 PM
The video shot in Sydney is the Bowl-Mor model E machine. The reason I know is that the video was shot at Heather Lanes in Sydney and they run the fast Bowl-Mor. It is also the center where the Bowl-Mor model E clip on you tube was shot at. Look at the masking of both houses, it is the same and both centers in the same town. It is not the AMF but the Bowl-Mor, plus one other way you can spot an AMF is the spotting table always comes down on the sweep before it comes back to gaurd. This is mainly because they use only one motor to operate both the sweep and the table. 2008-2009 league season starts soon!!!

Candlepin_Guy
07-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Yes, 10pins, the bowl-mor model E vid is from heather lanes in sydney where the first video came from, I know this since I was the one who took the video. Haha Also, the machine at Strand lanes is NOT jaynes. The Sweep looks similar, but its a machine by the company Double Diamond, more famous for their Freefall Fivepin machines. Look at the tubes, they come down, and the pins fall into them. Kinda unique!

later! Nick P

10pins
07-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Fivepin/Candlepin Guy, Thanks for the info, if you read one of the last posts on the previous page I tell how I became familar with the Jaynes as I spent most of my jr. bowling life with them. Wondering if you have any more info on the Double Diamond Candlepin machine, this is the first time I ever heard of it. I.E. websites for patent pictures or other video or drawings of how that macine works? You can only see it from a distance on the Strand Lanes video thats why it looked like a Jayne to me is because of the sweep and on some Jaynes the 2 back rows of pins would'nt pull tightly into the spotting table and give the apperance of sliding down during spotting. I'm glad you told me what they really were and again if you have any more info on that machine I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks again. 208-2009 league season starts soon!!! Markie(10 pins)

Bill1271
10-15-2008, 09:52 PM
To see what an AMF candlepin machine looks like to the bowler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8beuNydlFA

Biggest difference from that view is the sweep and rack go up in tandem on the AMF, while on the Bolw-Mor E the sweep goes up as the rack is finishing it's drop.

House
10-15-2008, 10:41 PM
cool. Bill, where in MA you from? my hometown is Springfield.

Bill1271
10-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Down on Cape Cod now but born and raised in the Boston Burbs =)

Bill1271
10-19-2008, 05:09 PM
In my previous post I transposed some info about the Bowl-Mor E pinsetter. The sweep does not lift until the rack has finished lifting. Also I have seen Double Diamond machines in action. We used to call them "stone crushers" for what it looked like as the pins were falling into the rack as it sat on the plate. Way too much noise made for a reset. Alas the place I saw them in closed and was demolished in the late 90's to make way for a new commuter rail line. Sigh

CandlepinScott
05-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Upstairs at Lanes and Games, the Candlepin machines are not Bowl-Mor Model Es, they are AMF 82-95s... http://www.bowltech.com/forums/import/graemlinspre2012/smile.gif