Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Front Desk System do I need for Accuscore's?

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Front Desk System do I need for Accuscore's?

This is probably an easy answer for all you veterans out there. The bowling center my family and I are preparing to open currently has no computer systems in it, the previous owners took them all. Luckily, they left the LIU an all of the Accuscore systems are still in place. We're having a consultant come out this weekend to look over the monitors, which have all been gutted to be "cleaned" (although to me it just seems they were trying to take them all apart), to see if they are still useable. Anyways, my biggest concern now is that we have no way (once the monitors are working) to get the lanes turned on from the front desk. The current setup (as far as I can tell) is an Accuscore System (not plus or II, just plain Accuscore as best I see) and an AMF LIU with the wiring still in place for the lanes. There is an Advantage computer in the back office but we cant get it to turn on at all, so lets assume thats gone. What kind of system do I need to get to run the lanes? I've read some on Purrfect Desk, is that a good program? From what I see Purrfect Desk can run Accuscore systems and can be installed on any Windows-based PC. I'm not even sure what to exactly ask...we're ideally looking for a front desk system that can control the lanes and also have an integrated POS...does that even exist? Help! Thanks in advance...

Here are pictures of the center...there are some of the front desk and you can see the LIU sitting there...I have closer pictures of it if needed...let me know. Thanks all! Cinema Bowl Pictures
    Shaun Pickford
    Operations Manager
    Cinema Bowl

Re: What Front Desk System do I need for Accuscore's?

Shaun,

I believe you have a couple of options, you could go with puurfect desk, although that seems relatively expensive to me. I really wish they would update the website at least a little.

You could call AMF directly and ask them if they sell the front desk system separately. I believe you would be around 6-10k for puurfect desk. Not sure what amf would charge.

You could install a new system for around 3-4 times that with everything you need including front desk, pos, advertising and several other features from Ebonite Solo, Switch, or you could always try to find something used.

I am using Accuscore XL and it works fine most of the time.
    I do not have POS on the system, just lane control. Running accudesk xl.

Hopefully this post would be considered help..

Comment

have you got any managers contro switches. You should have one for every lane. The switch has 3 position B & I and the middle position is off. You will also have a frame counter above the switch. If you have the above you could just use a normal till and operate on stand alone. But we'll get into that if you decide to go down that route

We use advantage with our accura by the way

Comment

I believe you can purchase Advantage lite for the front desk from AMF? Deb, will be the best person to advise you though. The stand alone method works fine. I know a few centre's which run that way.

Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Comment

Advantage provides cash control for center operation. It's not a sophisticated POS system, but it's used by many centers.

QAMF has little interest in supporting old systems unless they're selling you stuff that's part of an upgrade path. If you want a new or refurbished Advantage, look elsewhere.

Comment

catbowl...wow I did not realize Purrfect desk was that expensive! I figured I'd get a new Windows PC for under $1000 and spend maybe $500 on the software! I see it this way...the lane systems are on a technology from 20 years ago, I dont see why its so expensive to have an interface to communicate with them! I would think that over time its a peice of cake to have software that emulates a 20 year old computer system, but maybe I'm wrong. So instead of looking for a computer that controls it all, would it be cheaper to look at 2 computers? A seperate POS and then a lane computer that is solely for controlling the lanes? I figured the LIU would be the expensive part, not the software to send commands!

hmmmm: Do you mean the toggle switches that are on the wall? Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. How would you get the lanes in stand alone mode from this?

deb: Is there an Advantage lite I can get? We have an Adavantage system in the back office (pictures posted here and here and I have no idea what that second picture is!) and I have no idea what it does, and it wont turn on. I'm pretty techy so I could probably get it running, I just have no idea how it works. Do I need a sophisticated system to run the lanes? I'm okay with a stand alone POS and a basic system to run the lanes.

Any guidance is appreciated, I'm feeling a bit lost...thanks in advance everybody!
            Shaun Pickford
            Operations Manager
            Cinema Bowl

Comment

The 2nd pic is the home run box (part of the advantage system). The comm goes from the home run box to the curtain wall chassis's in the back
              All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

It's a while since i've done stand alone. But basically the curtain wall chassis will be running in stand alone if there is no front desk or back office. At the console selecting a lane and typing "on" will bring the scoring grid up if i remember right. There are lots of other functions that can be done at the console. I'll post them later. But when a customer pays you you the managers control switch to turn the pinspotter on. And your desk staff turn the switch off when the guest reaches the amount of frames paid for. So if 5 people pay for 2 games each they'll bowl around 100 frames. That's basically how it works in stand alone.

Comment

You have the liu and its main function is to turn on the pinsetters. You have the back office computer and the home run box, both have to be running to turn on a scorer. Do you have the desk keypad, monitor, and money drawer? You might try to place an add in the classified here on bowl tech and see if someone has a system they pulled out. Without the liu you can turn pinsetters on with the switches on the wall. Also you can turn the consoles on in stand alone, the manual will list the stand alone commands you make at the console. Keeping track of # of games bowled is a problem. With every thing disconnected you will need help from someone experienced to get it back together. However in the long run something like purfect desk might be the easiar solution but alot harder on the pocket book..
                  formerly dunsel
                  ITS NOT HOW MUCH YOU KNOW ITS HOW MUCH YOU CARE!!!!!

Comment

you can get a monitor and keyboard from linco computer. 1-281-893-8880. they are not too expensive. www.lincocomputer.com hope it helps!

Comment

1 word. Deb. P.M. her...
                      I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

Do I need a specialized monitor and keyboard or will any PS/2 keyboard and mouse work? And where do they hook up? A seperate computer or do they plug right into the LIU?

So let me see if I got this right...a front desk "system" (basically a dummy terminal, monitor and keyboard) connects to the LIU. The LIU sends a signal to the AMF Advantage system in the back when instructed, which relays the signal to the home run box, which sends the signal all the way to the curtain wall chassis in the back, which turns on the lanes...and in the meantime, the LIU send another signal to the lane computers using the cables connected to it to turn the computers on? Took me a minute to wrap my brain around that, hopefully I got right!

Thanks again for all the help everybody...keep it coming!
                        Shaun Pickford
                        Operations Manager
                        Cinema Bowl

Comment

Originally posted by wb8yjf
                          1 word. Deb. P.M. her...
                          This is her person who can help the most. If your going down the route of using the original advantage set up. You won't need a mouse, that's future technology. We.ve been using advantage for nearly 20 years now. It just looks old, but it works and gets people on the lanes.

Comment

There's an Advantage Lite configuration that uses the system console and keyboard as the Front Desk instead of the serially connected dumb terminal/keyboard. It's an option if you don't need to keep the CPU is a separate back office and have a good place for everything "out front." One center I know of - Wayne's Lanes (from the movie Groundhog Day!) - has a 4 sided bar and 8 lanes. The side/end of the bar facing the lanes is where the Advantage and cash drawer are located. They use it for lane control and bar sales.

You can get a CPU built with all new components (MOBO, power supply, hard drive, tape drive, ...) running relatively bug free software on a solid Unix operating. Plug everything you can into good UPS/Surge Protection and the system should run well for years to come.

Comment

Spickford, why don't you post in the classifieds that you are looking for an Advantage system or even a used Purrfect Desk. Re-license of it is affordable.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse