TOTY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framework Touchwork console boot issue

As part of preparing to reopen our local center I am testing some recently acquired Framework gear with the intent of using it to replace the existing AS-90 scoring.
    And of course Murphy, always looking for any opportunity to mess up someone's day decided it was my turn. (again)

First console that I grabbed to attempt to test out gets to the screen shown in the picture and then just (apparently) stops: Does not appear to respond to input from the touchscreen, though the status light on the touchscreen controller indicates that it is seeing the screen touches.
    I must admit that while I know most of the ins and outs of the AS-90 gear, this is my first time trying to spin up a Frameworx setup from ground zero.
    Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

And since I seem to keep seeing references to a "CMOS update board", how likely is it that I will end up needing one of those things? And how hard is it to find one?
    Since I do not think I have stumbled across one in the boxes of spare parts we got with the gear.

Thanks!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

578867D5-F8AB-4368-9E3A-89A875CC153D.jpg Ok, found the battery on the I/O board was dead and replacing it allowed the console to compete its boot up.
    Since it booted and I was able to access the maintenance menus, can I presume that this is a later revision unit that does not require the CMOS maintenance board to update settings, or is there something else that the maintenance board does?

Thanks;
    Attached Files

Comment

If you got that far into the boot up, then you dont need the CMOS board.
      The board is usually used after you have replaced the motherboard, as it sets the CMOS settings for the new motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie8662 View Post
        If you got that far into the boot up, then you dont need the CMOS board.
        The board is usually used after you have replaced the motherboard, as it sets the CMOS settings for the new motherboard.
        Ah, got it. But if I am reading that correctly, if the motherboard battery died or if something (power glitch, etc.) clears/corrupts the motherboard CMOS than the board would be needed.

Thanks;

Comment

Hate to rain on the parade (and I understand you're dealing with a budget) but I would recommend going with anything OTHER THAN Frameworx (ShameWorx) for your new system. My experience with this system as far as time spent doing diagnosis & replacements of basically ANY components in the lower consoles has scarred me for life. This system is likely to be a money sink. These things are having a malfunction or are physically damaged more often than they can remain functioning for any real period of time. In my experience, they're bad news!

If you want essentially the same sort of user input format (Brunswick), I'd suggest going with Vector. It's basically FrameWorx engineered with more common sense and doesn't lack the manufacturing quality that FrameWorx. That alone will get the system to pay for itself in 5 years or so. It's less damage-prone & I have yet to deal with scorer freeze ups. All the hardware for processing is contained on the curtain wall above the pinsetters, so bowlers can't easily damage the guts of your scoring.
          Where's Mrs. Pisses?

Comment

Not my decision to make. These things are little more than repackaged PCs like I have worked on for years. They don’t scare me.
            Once the place is up and running again (basically been closed for the last five years) perhaps the owners will look into something newer.
            But until the center proves that it can make money, I work with what I am given.

Comment

Fair enough. and makes sense (unfortunately), At least now you've got a heads-up on what you may be dealing with.
              Where's Mrs. Pisses?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Blister View Post
                Hate to rain on the parade (and I understand you're dealing with a budget) but I would recommend going with anything OTHER THAN Frameworx (ShameWorx) for your new system. My experience with this system as far as time spent doing diagnosis & replacements of basically ANY components in the lower consoles has scarred me for life. This system is likely to be a money sink. These things are having a malfunction or are physically damaged more often than they can remain functioning for any real period of time. In my experience, they're bad news!

If you want essentially the same sort of user input format (Brunswick), I'd suggest going with Vector. It's basically FrameWorx engineered with more common sense and doesn't lack the manufacturing quality that FrameWorx. That alone will get the system to pay for itself in 5 years or so. It's less damage-prone & I have yet to deal with scorer freeze ups. All the hardware for processing is contained on the curtain wall above the pinsetters, so bowlers can't easily damage the guts of your scoring.
                Meanwhile, I've been keeping our 25 year old, 40-lane Frameworx install humming along without issue... Not that we don't want Sync, but the $$$ was just too much while getting out of Covid.

Comment

Kudos. This upside of the coin just wasn't the case at the center(s) I was in at the time.

One thing I failed to mention though (which of course will be problematic regardless of what scoring systems are inhabiting a center) is the power surges &spikes the buildings were experiencing then.
                  Where's Mrs. Pisses?

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts and commentary. I think we are getting a handle on things and have a back office / front desk system arriving tomorrow.
                    And, if things were not entertaining enough we ran a ‘travel league’ event on Sunday with the scorers in ‘stand alone’ mode and overall things behaved pretty well.

i am getting the last of the cables made to get the overheads working (and Brunswick STILL has some of the worst wiring diagrams that I have ever seen) and then things should start calming down a bit.

The adventure continues!

Comment

Are you using CRTs or flat screens with your upper monitors? I for one am really glad CRTs are going the way of the Dodo. I Don't miss tube replacements whatsoever (even though in a majority of the cases I confronted with video manifestation issues or power loss to the CRT was coming from the Ceronix boards).

I forgot all about the "invisible 1 thru 9 number pad" function of the touch screen & the stand-alone code LOL. Can't remember if it's programmable for individual centers or predetermined (ROM).
                      Where's Mrs. Pisses?

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                      widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

The AMF dude

Saw this on the back of one of the machines at work. Looks like something you'd find in a box of Lego's, but it has the old amf triangle logo in the middle, just...

Transformer smokes

I hava a tarnsformer that started smokeing. I replaced the transformer and it runs a few seconds and starts to smoke again. Any Ideas?...

82-90 XLi Pin Elevator

I have several Pin Elevators that I believe to be out of round on my XLi's and was curious if anyone has ever run across this before and is so, what you did about it.
                      I'm...
                      Working...
                      X