Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Perfect Scoring System?

I would like to compile a list of features for a perfect scoring system. There seem to be quite a few good scoring systems, but none of them please everyone. I ask you to post with either suggestions for the scoring systems that you may have, and/or nice features that you may already have. Thank-you.

Re: A Perfect Scoring System?

Here's my wish list.

A good system should:

Be built from common computer components available almost anywhere.

Be based on a "fault-tolerant" OS, e.g. not crash every 5 minutes, yet still allow import/export of data if you have a more capable program on a different system.

Give you the capability of performing any center function from any terminal attatched to it. Point of sale for, say the bar, should be accessible from the front desk.

Have 90% of the desk functions available, on a touch screen, with less than 5 taps to get anything done.

Be, to the extent possible, self-troubleshooting, and be open enough that the device being troubleshot (sp??) gives you visual feedback as to what it has or hasn't done.

Have a built-in knowledge base that can be updated as different problems/solutions come up. The knowledge base should be available to all users, and definitely available on the web for download to the system.

Have the ability to create and use custom graphics for overhead display ... e.g. a generic "happy birthday" exciter, where the desk just types in the child's name, center logo on the overheads, you get the idea.

While I have AS-90's, after re-reading my post ... didn't I just describe Qubica more or less .... LOL!!!

Kevin

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by KL Kevin:
      While I have AS-90's, after re-reading my post ... didn't I just describe Qubica more or less .... LOL!!!
      [/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, what does Qubica run under? If you say Windows, that'll shoot your "fault tolerant OS" bit all to hell...

Comment

This one is a really good idea!

Quote:]Originally posted by KL Kevin:
        Have a built-in knowledge base that can be updated as different problems/solutions come up. The knowledge base should be available to all users, and definitely available on the web for download to the system.

Kevin
        [/QUOTE]

Comment

Thank-you for the input.

I like the idea of controlling foul lights and cycling machines from the control desk.

I would like to access all of the lane console functions from the control desk.

I would also like to be able to lock-out users from using the consoles. (for example: birthday party children, among others, who like to push buttons)

I would like an active pin display. (some bowlers can't always remember what was standing)

Please continue with your suggestions.

Comment

P.S.

I also like the idea of a shadow practice option.

And be able to change any value of anything at any time. A fast paced business needs employees to be able to work on the fly.

Thanks again.

Comment

I agree with Kevin on the data base to troubleshoot or give extra technical knowledge on a scoring problem, or for that matter a pinsetter problem that could effect the scoring.
              One of our machines at USPS has what is called DOC.
              It will cue you if it thinks the computer can help you.
              It will pull up a menu of common problems to troubleshoot in an order like a flow chart.
              You can also pull up a diagram of all belts part numbers and the pattern of how the belts are mounted.
              The DBCS machine has over 750 belts and some of them weave around like a spider web and it is nice to look at one on the computer of the machine that is down instead of having to shut down another machine and match it up.
              It would be nice to see that if someone had a scoring problem and the computer told them it could be possibly a ball detect problem or a 44 degree switch problem or not getting communication from the da board or the processsor of an as-90.
              We have a machine called the small parcel bundel sorter and the computer prints out a message of why the machine stopped!!!
              It will tell me what module or what circuit board caused the stop fault.
              I am sure with frameworx and pentium technology that Brunswick could also do the same to AIDE in TROUBLESHOOTING a problem.
              Grambo

Comment

While shadow practice is a nice feature, can only really be implemented practically on AMF machines, and possibly GS series brunswicks. To get the ball back to the bowler, A's and A-2's have to cycle, no way around it. WHile there was a thread under brunswick awhile back about how you could get a fresh rack every ball, the machine cycling still slows down practice compared to instruct-o-mat, and always will

Kevin

Comment

With Accuscore II there was a feature that would tell the desk person if there was a problem with the power on a machine that was turned off. If the breaker on the control box was in the off position or if the control box I/O switch was "on" & the computer thought the mach should be "off", the desk terminal would put a "power bar" on that lane. It looked similar to the regular "lane on" bar but it was a lighter gray. When we up-graded to Accuscore XL we lost that feature. It would be nice to have it back so that the desk won't give out lanes that we need to work on. It was nice to be able to walk in, in the morning & be able to tell the desk which lanes we wanted by simply shutting the breaker off as we walked by. Giving the lane back was as simple as getting it.
                  Dutch

Comment

One of the Brunswick systems I worked on back in "95" had that feature and the first two lanes the counter person gave out were the ones on each side of it! Self adjusting cameras? Less hardware on some of the scoring systems! This is only my opinion but if I was to desingh a scoring system I would look into all of the other scoring systems on the market "R/D" and puy together what they had, throw out the bad and keep the good and then add my own special features! You know, the ones everybody lists on here!

------------------
                    Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

With what Kevin said about no shadow on Brunswick pinsetters, did you ever notice that the Brunswick scoring system only makes the extras on their systems to benifit Brunswick machines, but with AMF machines they only make their system adapt to the pinsetter. ie:shadow bowl,and deleating the table wiring isnt offered! My experince with AMF scoring is minimal and was on 82-70. Does AMF desingh their systems to not benifit the Brunswick pinsetter also? How about Qubica, do they give the benifits to everyone?

------------------
                      Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

Ed:

When you send your tech to scorer school, the BRC house in Muskegon is a must-see. They have (in a 10 or 12 lane house) A pair of GS's, a pair of 70's, a pair of hockey stick A's, a pair of A-2's, and I think they still have a pair of 30's too They do run leagues in it, but it's primarily an R+D test bed.

In defense of the lack of interfaced features, on the 30 alone, you have the stepper chassis, the omega-tech MK30, the MK30 expander, the MP chassis, and someone else makes one too, right??? Making an interface that would work with all variations could be an expensive proposition, and I left out all the variations of the 70 and its chassis ...

Can't speak for AMF scoring on Brunswick machines, someone else will, but I know that Qubica will interface to 30's (with an extra board) for short strike cycle, and losing the K/L harness (on chassis that support those functions) Qubica also has the ability to tweak the camera (individual pins) from the desk console, a nice feature for AMF people, whereas if you have brunswick scorers on AMF machines, you better be good at tweaking spotting cups, because a "B" scorer looks for the perfect triangle that a "B" machine sets every time (the whole rack may be skewed, but the pins in it will always set in a perfect triangle)

Kevin

Comment

Kevin, One IM the Tech. two I think IM afraid to go to the school now because they will probably have sharp shoters on the roof to take me out!!!!Anyway, about the chassis,I realize with the 5 board or the stepper chassis your not going to be able to reap the advantages of todays tecnoligy but as far as the others ie: Omega-tech, CTI, and the new AMF S/S chassis all they need is a signal for X, gutter and 7-10 pick off. Its not rocket science! Dont get me wrong I have a hard time posting on Bowl_tech with out screwing it up so IM definitally not a computer savey kind of guy but after talking to the above mentioned companies it would be fairly simple for Brunwick to give a output for their equiptment to read and perform these simple functions. Some ofthe above mentioned companies have aproached Bruswick about working together and getting the Brunswick scoring system to perform these functions but their told to take a hike! I also have a day or two experince with the Brunswick pinsetter and realize there is'nt to much you can do to enhance the operation through the scoring system , N.P.S, 10th frame reset, thats about it, IM not shure but I cant imagine AMF dos'nt offer that, but then again.360 degrees is 360 degrees! And as far as the expander card and the box that Qubica offers to make these options functional I comend these companies for having you purchase this equiptmant seperate, why put the expander on the MK-30 if your not going to use it, why make a Brunswick equipted house pay for the equiptment that Qubica requires to perform these functions? When I first spoke to Brunwick and asked if they offered the extra options for the AMF equiptment (this was the regional guy that covers the entire East coast) he looked at me like I had two heads! It's a shame for Brunwick because I know of two centers in our area that are equipted with AMF machines and are looking at the other scoring systems because Brunswick dosnt offer the extras for AMF pinsetters! I know byone of my other posts some people might think that I just dont like Bruswick scoring and that is not true at all! I think the Brunswick scoring system is pretty nice from the bowlers area to the pinsetters (forget the part behind the counter) but to be fair not that any one elses Windows N/T is presently working any better acording to some other feed back that Ive gotten.

Hows that go... Just my two or three cents worth Ed PS IVE got to check w/Mike, I cant get the spell check to work right!

------------------
                          Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

One thing I would like to see is a system that you could split the lane pair to one over head monitor in an emergency. I like the systems with just the key pad at the lowers and two overheads but I have a fear of loseing on of the over heads and that lane being useles in the middle of a leage!
                            Ed

------------------
                            Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

On the customer side of things...

I like the Coach that our scoring system offers. It is pretty useful to the less experienced bowler. Some of our bowlers really enjoy it. And you can turn it on and off at the console.

I also like the Exciter Graphics. It offers a fun distraction for our bowlers. I do wish we could update them once in a while. Maybe download new graphics every couple of months. And holiday graphics for those special times of year. This would keep the bowlers from getty bored.

We also have the ability to put the TV on our upper monitors. This was expecially useful during the World Series. The only problem is that everybody has to watch the same thing. A VCR, placed behind the counter, controls the chanel setting. Maybe a chanel controller at each console might prove useful. The VCR would have to override any chanel be played, if a tape was being played, of course.

I do like the idea of combining upper monitors into one. I also like the idea of combining both lanes onto the lower monitor.

Our keyboards are at a slightly awkward angle. Luckily, we don't have to type for too long. I would also prefer larger keys, that are slightly raised.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse