X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Keypad Input

Good morning everybody.
    I'm having an issue with 29 & 30. I am not getting any keypad entry from the scorer console. The keypad buttons beep when you press them, but there's simply nothing coming up on the scorer. I uploaded the VDB. I unplugged the VDB. I swapped bowler terminal boards with 31 & 32 and the problem stayed. I checked wiring from the board down to the bottom of the console. I'm not sure what else to check. Any ideas?
    Thank you for any help!

Bob
  • Mike Wilson
    Bowl-Tech Site Admin
    Answer selected by Mike Wilson at 04-30-2022, 04:14 PM.

Re: No Keypad Input

Yes, the LED should be on for the BT board. Do a voltage check on terminals 1 and 4. You should have between 16 and 23 VDC. If the voltage is in this range, I suspect the BT board to be bad even though you swapped it out. If not in this range, you got a break or a short.

To check the connections of the BT plug, I would remove all the wires to inspect that the wire was stripped back far enough and not being crimped on the insulation. Again, I cannot stress enough to make sure the VDB power plug is disconnected before unplugging or plugging in any devices.

This is a long shot…have a look under the camera (in the underground) to see if balls have been hitting your COM wires. Also, possible that wires could be getting hit elsewhere underground, but right underneath the camera is the most common spot.

Triac

Comment

There's a chance the front desk has the keyboard disabled. Especially since you get no errors.
      This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Hi Ted.
        I never knew you could disable the keypad. How can I re-enable it if it is the problem, and if I uploaded the VDB, wouldn't that have reset that anyway?

Comment

In older software you would go to setup devices and click on a radio button that says enable keyboard. In later versions - I forget, but it's in one of the submenus under setup.
          This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

A couple of other things to check if keyboard was not deactivated.

Swap the ribbon cables with another pair. One bad cable can short the BT board.

Next, check the connections of the 4 wires that go to the plug for the BT board. It is not uncommon that the installer did not strip back the insulation far enough and then they crimp down on part of the insulation causing an intermittent poor connection. Be sure to unplug the power to the VDB before checking the connections.

Triac

Comment

OK. I replaced the camera board because it had a stripped screw on one of the connectors where the red wires go. That wasn't it. I checked and keyboard is indeed enabled. I swapped ribbon cables. Problem did not move. The BT board plug is nice and tight but I will quadruple check that. If this is any help, the red led light on the BT board is not on (is it supposed to be?). I wish I got an error code because at least then I'd have something to work off of, but it boots up fine every time I've rebooted the VDB. A real stumper, this one. I'm hoping QAmf didn't forget about me. It's been 23 hours since I called them.

Comment

Yes, the LED should be on for the BT board. Do a voltage check on terminals 1 and 4. You should have between 16 and 23 VDC. If the voltage is in this range, I suspect the BT board to be bad even though you swapped it out. If not in this range, you got a break or a short.

To check the connections of the BT plug, I would remove all the wires to inspect that the wire was stripped back far enough and not being crimped on the insulation. Again, I cannot stress enough to make sure the VDB power plug is disconnected before unplugging or plugging in any devices.

This is a long shot…have a look under the camera (in the underground) to see if balls have been hitting your COM wires. Also, possible that wires could be getting hit elsewhere underground, but right underneath the camera is the most common spot.

Triac

Comment

Thanks for the long shot advice Triac. That is exactly where the problem was. I had a broken red wire inside the blue insulation right under the camera. The wire had dropped and balls were whacking it every pass. I've had thie happen before but I've gotten error messages. That's why it never even dawned on me to look here. Guess what? This will be this first place next time [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] Thanks again Triac and Ted for the great suggestions!

Bob

Comment

I’d like to thank Triac 15 years later. I just had the same problem and I didn’t remember what the solution was so I looked it up here and found I had started the topic 15 years ago. I had no keypad input on either lane and the culprit again was wiring under the camera. Thanks again!

Comment

The few times this has happened to me I simply unplugged the BT and plugged it back in and it worked just fine lol ?‍♂️ lucky, I guess

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                      widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Ball Returns Shorted Out?

Ok, I just had one of my company's centers in Florida reach out for help with this issue, and I wasn't able to help them over our chat, so I'm hoping you guys can help shed some...

Trip rocker arm

What causes the trip rocker arm to not line up with the trip rod? Carriage tubing is not bent and all eccentrics are brand new.
                      I understand I can bend the rocker arm a...

Lower ball cushion board

Just wondering if this is the normal way that these boards go over time? Am i missing something?
                      Pit curtains are in "reasonable" condition if that means anything...

Backend motor plug

What is the name of the power plug and socket on the back-end motor?

Some of ours are breaking from impacts from repeated pile-ups and need to be replaced....

82/70 combi motors

Hi guys, got a few of these Lewus solid state start switches and wondering if we could make use of them on our combi motors. I've seen they aren't recommended for combi motors...

Deck lowering hook cam follower lever

I have a machine that has broken the cam follower arm for the deck lowering hook on the 2 to 1 twice in a couple weeks. I've overnighted the part so i can change it tomorrow....
                      Working...
                      X