Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HardDrives

I don't know if ours is a typical installation and I'm not sure how it supposed to work

We have a Qubica System That has a boxes mounted to the ceiling between a pair of lane monitors
    The box contains a communication board and some sort of computer (Processor) with a hard drive hanging off it

The main computer at the controls counter (front end) controls this lane processor
    It also uploads lane graphics to the hard drive as they are stored local to the lanes

The system will operates ok without the hard drive but will not have any graphics for say when the bowler strikes it will not
    Show the animation etc

Am I right so far????

Now this issue we have every now and then is the hard drive will fail
    Replace the hard drive and all is good.

I opened one of these boxes the other day that had a suspected faulty hard drive only to find a basic standard 80gig ide drive

Now I know these drives are old technology and could be bought for under $100
    I asked the Center Manager to just go to the local computer shop and pick one up only to be told oh no it has to come from the
    Quibica Distributor at a cost of over $300
    He was told the hard drive contains software that is copyrighted to make the system work (but it works without the harddrive???)

He also asked why he can't just copy it from another hard drive as he has already bought it
    And was told something about copyright????

Someone Enlighten me

The Qubica Harddrives would have no information on it. If it did and someone just randomly connected it to the RDB then it would load a internal error or go into emergency network boot because it will not connect to the conqueror and/or it will give you a internal
    Error on boot.

Best bet would to save cash. Get one from a computer store and save 200 dollars but keep the qubica drive if you ever need to send out the RDB and replace it when before you ship it out.

Comment

I know this isn't the answer you want, but...

First you need to read every word of the Terms and Conditions of Sale and the Software Licensing Agreement for your system.

QAMF can't claim a copyright on an empty hard drive (well, they can claim it and then make you defend yourself to fight the claim), but you might be in violation of your agreement with them if you don't buy from them. They could void your warranty and become otherwise unsupportive.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Bennett View Post
        The Qubica Harddrives would have no information on it. .

Thats what I'm thinking

Had another look at the hard drive on the bench yesterday and its appears to be just a standard Hitachi drive with no reference to Qubica at all

Originally posted by Tyler Bennett View Post
        The Qubica Harddrives would have no information on it. If it did and someone just randomly connected it to the RDB then it would load a internal error or go into emergency network boot because it will not connect to the conqueror and/or it will give you a internal
        Error on boot.

It was booting in safe mode???

RBD=??????Board?????

conqueror==????

Can someone explain how this system is suppose to work or point me in the direction of where I can learn (our in house info is limited)

Originally posted by deb View Post
        They could void your warranty and become otherwise unsupportive.
        Think thats what the manager is concerned about and just pays the $300 for what seems to be a $80 drive

Comment

Well, I just found this out myself. A RDB will work without a working hard drive in the computer.

The standard scoring grid is on one of the circuit boards, the RDB will do basic scoring functions with out a working Hard drive.

You will not have exciters, any games, and themes(RDB)

You can replace the hard drive yourself with one from a computer store, but this will still not have the themes (RDB), you are unable to clone a working hard drive because the software on the hard drive is proprietary. You would need the files to be sent to you from Qubica, that you could use their QAnimation application to send the programs to the hard drives. They will charge you for it(I do not now how much, but I am sure it is more than purchasing a hard drive from them.)

Comment

I have tried cloning the hard drives and had zero luck in doing so. There seems to be multiple partitions on the hard drives as shown with my cloning software I was using...each with a different scheme in writing information. Not sure why but I am sure it is to try to prevent what I was trying. I would highly suggest sending it to QAMF for proper repair if you want the themes and graphics. As mentioned above, they will still function without the hard drive...just not like the rest of the house.

If QAMF sells the software to write to these hard drives...I would purchase it as it would pay for itself over time. It may cost more than a single hard drive but we all know that hard drives will fail over time. The more hard drives you are able to spread the cost over, the "cheaper" the software becomes until it has paid for itself. Just a thought...
            TSM & TSM Training Development
            Main Event Entertainment
            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Stafford (JBEES) View Post
              I would highly suggest sending it to QAMF for proper repair if you want the themes and graphics. ...
              Theres My point is there anything on the Harddrive
              We upload the Graphics from main computer on the control counter (when we have too New graphics packs, new advertisers etc)

Comment

Yes...there is something on the hard drive. I have tried to copy them (read as "clone") but no luck.
                TSM & TSM Training Development
                Main Event Entertainment
                480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse