Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super elex battery failure

Has anyone figured out how to fix the dead battery error on the super elex when it is booting up? Repair cost from Steltronic is not affordable at this time.

Been a while since I had Super Elex, but I did have this problem in the past. If I remember correctly, the batteries are actually soldered to the mother board, like a chip.

When you first boot up the computer, you get a warning on the screen stating something like "battery failure, press enter to continue". We ended up plugging a keyboard into the Super Elex (it is a way older type plug), leaving it plugged in, and daily pressed enter after allowing the computers to boot. Once it booted up, it ran fine. Ran it like that for about 2 years before we updated to Vision.

Comment

Yes, it requires a RTC chip DS12887. If your super elex is out of warranty, you will have to unsolder the old chip, and resolder the new chip to the motherboard. I advise to get good tools to unsolder and solder... which is an art form. If you have a local computer person that does work on older motherboards, with RTC chips, then I would suggest taking it to them. If you plan to tackle yourself, take lots of photos of how the video boards and power supply unit was connected when taking apart. I would also suggest getting a dip socket, so when the RTC chip goes bad again, you can pop the old one out and put the new one in without any soldering being involved. The cost of RTC chips is approx 12 bucks compared to a $1500 exchange plus shipping at Steltronic (doubled in price in 4 years for our last exchange in 2020) . If you have a vga monitor around and and old keyboard Ritzmech was referring to.... plug into one of your good super elex's, and as soon as the super elex turns on hit the del key on the keyboard to enter the CMOS setup. Take screen shots of all of the settings. Once you get the RTC chip replaced in a bad super elex, then enter/change the cmos settings into your fixed super elex. Save and exit.

Here's a good youtube video for RTC chip replacement if you are tackling it yourself....

https://youtu.be/or7PQZCXWkA

Comment

This is an excellent post on how to change the CMOS battery, and while it can be done, we have seen some pretty bad hack jobs and the end user destroyed the MB by ruining the traces by removing the chip forcibly and the solder was not fully removed from the pins. Also to the idea of the removable socket for the CMOS battery, I do not believe you have the room (clearance) for it.
        Jim Osdale
        Steltronic USA

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
        Working...
        X