Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kustodian Ion model B charger smoking

Today I noticed a distinct smell of electonics smoking up near the lane machine.... upon closer inspection the smoke was coming from the lane machine's built in charger.

IMG_0168.jpg

The thing circled in red is really hot and dripping balck stuff, and the capacitor circled in yellow looks like it is bubbling up...its like I am watching my lane machine self destruct?

Im going to get on the phone with kegel asap....but in the mean time any suggestions? I looked for signs of a liquid spill in the machine and I don't see anything.
    Nick

If the caps are bulging, you are best off changing them all anyway...don't go cheap on the replacements. As for the choke, it's just a magnet wrapped with insulated wire. Unless the black stuff next to it is the insulation on the wire melting, there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. It will naturally get hot.
    Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
    Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
    Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
    Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Originally posted by Kanga View Post
      If the caps are bulging, you are best off changing them all anyway...don't go cheap on the replacements. As for the choke, it's just a magnet wrapped with insulated wire. Unless the black stuff next to it is the insulation on the wire melting, there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. It will naturally get hot.

there is black stuff dripping from the choke...you can see it underneath it to the left of the resistor. I belive that to be where the smoke is coming from.
      Last edited by Mechanick; 03-11-2012, 12:50 AM.
      Nick

Comment

What I mean to say is if that black stuff is coming from the choke it must be the insulation melting. The cause might be related to the condition of the capacitor/s.
        Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
        Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
        Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
        Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

I replaced the suspect capacitor and no change....bad smell and batteries are not getting adequately charged......its a good thing that it is march Break and no leagues are in this week!

So it looks like im getting a new charger. Can the charger be purchased from the manufacturer, or is it a proprietary assambly you can only get through Kegel?
          Nick

Comment

dls2740_10.jpg

Found it:

http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls2740.htm

I peeled back the kegel sticker on the charger and the manufacturer label was under it. It peeled of the writing, but from what I can read, I think this one in the link is the match:

DLS-27-40
            input 108-132 vac
            input watts 1360 watts
            output volts 26.8vdc (the spec sheet on the internet shows 27.2vdc)
            output amps 40amps

http://www.altestore.com/store/Charge-Controllers/AC-Charge-Controllers/IOTA-DLS-27-40-40A-24V-2-Stage-AC-Charge-Cntr/p3029/

looks like I can get it for $370 instead of a over $1000

The newer ions with built in chargers come with a newer charger...they apparently switched from the one above because of a high failure rate.....and it actually costs less too. does anybody have the info for the newer style ion charger. I would like to see if I can find that one too.
            Nick

Comment

I found a place down the road from me that has one in stock....so I can wait a day or two more before deciding which route to go with the charger I would like to buy...

I guess this gives me a couple of days to wait on a possible post for the info on the newer charger used for the ion model B.....your help is appreciated!
              Nick

Comment

My Model D ION uses the IOTA charger
                Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
                Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
                Cloth: ShamWow!
                Machine: Johnny 5
                Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

Originally posted by shamefowjze View Post
                  My Model D ION uses the IOTA charger
                  Is it the same iota charger that has the IQ4 module mounted externally? same as my 2008 model B?
                  Nick

Comment

tick...tock....anybody have the newer charger????
                    Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanick View Post
                      Is it the same iota charger that has the IQ4 module mounted externally? same as my 2008 model B?
                      Yep.
                      Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
                      Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
                      Cloth: ShamWow!
                      Machine: Johnny 5
                      Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse