Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lane Walker Relay CR5

Here is something that you should checkout, if you own a lane walker.

We have 4 Lane Walkers in our bowling chain.
    All 4 machines have relays that needed attention this year (all machines are just shy of 4 years old).
    The 5th relay from the left (Control Relay 5), on the control panel has arcing/discoloration on the (ice cube) relay cover.
    It is more than just normal use, as the other relays show no signs of use, and still look brand new.

This is used for the buffer motor.
    See page 177 in the manual for a picture/description of the relays.
    It is part number 158-1462, on page 187 in the parts area.

If yours is fine, then no harm is done.
    Better safe than sorry.

I do not have a walker but do have it's cousin...Ion model D. It uses the same relay. I changed it and the base last year. Two years old. I ordered a spare relay and base just in case I see the same issue again...the same issue you are seeing. I thought it was just a fluke but obviously it is not. Anyone with the new machines should be prepared.

I almost changed the relay over to a heavier setup. If it dies again, I will no doubt look deeper into that modification.
    TSM & TSM Training Development
    Main Event Entertainment
    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

They did not use a contactor in those models for the buff motor?

Mike
      DO A NEAT CLEAN JOB, AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. THE ONLY WAY TO WORK.

Comment

With the DC motors it's recommended you clean the brushes of the motors. The buffer, oil pump, drive, and vacuum motors should be checked regularly. The added resistance will cause that. Most users overlook it. I made a bunch of service calls to centers expecting to replace a buffer motor. I just blew out the brushes and motor and it was fine.
        Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
        Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
        Cloth: ShamWow!
        Machine: Johnny 5
        Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

Alex...if the brushes are the place for resistance buildup...then the heat would be generated there. My issue was the contacts and the relay base overheated due to heat there. No doubt from resistance and increased current draw. I did not touch the brushes and the issue has not returned in a year. If the brushes caused the issue with the original relay and base...they should have caused the same issue with the replacement relay and base. I think there is just a bit more current draw through the relay and base than they can handle comfortably...but time will tell. As I stated...if they go up in smoke again, there will be a higher capacity relay and base installed in my machine.

With what you have stated though...I think there will be some brushes and motors getting a little closer look next week. Thanks for the info...
          TSM & TSM Training Development
          Main Event Entertainment
          480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up! My Walker is only a few months old, but I will check that regularly now.

Comment

Steve,
              I definitely will not dispute the use of "cheaper" relays. I have no doubt that the draw on the points is an issue and most likely what you ran into. I was stating an often overlooked issue with the DC powered machines that cost centers a lot of money,
              Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
              Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
              Cloth: ShamWow!
              Machine: Johnny 5
              Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
              Working...
              X