Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kickback repair

I am replacing worn kickback plates and was how everyone replaired the wood behind the plate? Can you use fiberglass or wood filler. Do i just need to cut out the bad area and patch in a new piece of wood? Thank for any ideas

I've tried it all. The only thing that will last is new maple wood. Epoxys, wood putty, and fillers will bust out over time and just create a void around the repair and make the plate fail. I make a template and route out the bad wood, just to a depth necessary to get the bad wood out. The patch can be made out of shelf material bought from the big box stores. It'll have to be planed down to the depth of the routed-out area. Make sure its absolutely flush with the surrounding wood. I use a belt sander.
    Then a new plate can be applied with confidence it will last scores of years.
    Be aware - the first layer of kickback wood you're repairing is only 3/4" deep. There are softer wood vertical slats in the center of the wood kickback, so don't route it too deep else there will be no support for the patch. If you do route it 3/4" deep, you'll have to make the patch go from slat to slat for strength.
    Last edited by Ted; 01-31-2012, 04:15 PM. Reason: Additional info
    This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

100% agree with Ted. One change in my process is to go to the local lumber yard (not a lowes or home depot) and I have them plane me 1/2 inch (real 1/2 not lumber measuring 15/32 = 1/2) maple. I have been able to get it in widths up to 12 inches. You may pay a couple bucks more but well worth it.

I use the router at 1/2 depth. Coat the patch liberally with quality wood glue and sink a couple 1 1/4 screws. Damn near bullet proof repair. Cover with a new phenolic plate and hopefully never see it again.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse