Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood lanes, starting to look and play ****

Our lanes were resurfaced on 5th June 2010 and have since started to look more and more worn, like years more! Some boards are starting to split, some have cracks, boards are starting to lift again, and there are a couple of 'dead' patches beginning to develop that are definitely affecting balls.

I will try to upload pictures so that people can see what we are dealing with

Any advice on sorting any of these problems with a limited budget would be more than welcomed

thanks guys
    Attached Files

Some more pics guys

The last one shows a dead patch, this is on about board 10, and about 8/9ft down the lane
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mnorwell; 03-25-2012, 10:55 AM. Reason: add more info

Comment

Wood lanes were not meant to have sanded balls thrown on them...not that synthetics were either .....but you cannot put .75 ounce of oil on a lane and expect the finish not to soften ......

I would put in synthetics...

Comment

I like the idea of putting synthetics in but the trouble is I cant see the management putting their hands in their pockets and replacing 30 lanes worth...

We are currently looking at what other wood lane centres are doing in the UK and US and I'm hoping there is a genius idea out there somewhere that can at least help the lanes hold up whilst we try and convince management for synthetics or a decent resurface this time..

Comment

What is your normal sanding and recoating schedule? Are your heads injected with epoxy? When the resurfacer patches do the epoxy or wood glue them in? What finish? Do they oil dry the heads with the finish off? All these things play a big role in the duribility and playability and looks.

Comment

Im not 100% on what that sort of spec is. From what I can find the lanes have a urethane finish.

I know that we had issues with the lacquer/varnish used, it started splitting and we had a re-coat 6 months after.

We also had issues with boards (on the approach and heads mainly) lifting up. The guy that headed the team that resurfaced them came back and went through a basic procedure for sticking the boards back down. This involved drilling a hole through the board (about 10mm from the end) till it lifted and then injecting epoxy into the hole. This did work but when we questioned about the splitting boards and the holes and splits in the lacquer/varnish he stated that they are wood and it will happen. This was not too long after the resurface though.

We also had issues with small grooves appearing in the lane and swirls in the wood.

Comment

With todays harder finishes the whole head area needs evey board epoxied.(anywhere the ball can be dropped) I did all the butt joints on the approach back 5ft. from the foul line also. Then lofted balls beat up the pine, so I did a section in the center and right track out to 25ft. Any board movement will crack and feather the board edges causing the oil and dirt to absorb.

Comment

One thing to point out, when your center is in a cold winter climate area, you turn on furnaces to keep it warm. Without humidifiers, that heat dries out the building down to as low as 10% humidity. Sustained dryness absolutely sucks out moisture from the lanes. And because the maple moves so much with moisture content, the boards shrink and seperate the surface of the finish. We all know about doors sticking in the summer, and nice and lose in the winter.
                This is the start, and a major component, of all the issues with wood lanes.
                Even epoxy in the heads WILL NOT prevent it. Epoxy is a space filler, not a wood glue. Expoxied lane surfaces just split in a pattern of 3, 4, 5 or 6 boards instead of each board. True, it's because of the epoxy as it sticks to wood, but if it was glued, the entire width of the lane would shrink/swell with moisture migration. And if the head was solidly mounted to the levelers, you'd have split boards instead of lines of seperation between them.
                This is also the reason for the tunneling near the foul line on lanes with guardian, which can be fixed.
                This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Ted, not saying it's the absolute fix, Just trying to help a problem when new syn. lanes are'nt in the budget. Doing what I suggested allowed us to get 36 yrs. out of our wood and we could've sanded 2 more times. (after epoxy we sanded every 3 yrs.)

Comment

I understand, just want to eliminate epoxying as the ultimate fix. The quality of your injection may be an issue with being so soon after a full sand. Sure, there will be boards you can fix with lane injecting epoxy. I actually prefer to fix the original board if it doesn't look too bad.
                    This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Unless you are low lineage.....wood lanes will not hold up....

It is what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by 8270king View Post

It is what it is!
                        You're right, the high linage should be able to afford syn. but the tweeners and the economy for some, they need to limp by. Some pay good money for some sketchy lane work. (find a good reputable Co.) We had Bowl Rite from southern WI (great) for 20 yrs. Befofe that the other guys would skimp on finish (6-8 oz. per lane) they would save a couple gallons. (hundreds of $) Nobody would know until Feb-April when the track would wear out and you would get sh#tty bowling.

Comment

Originally posted by 8270king View Post

It is what it is!
                          Not true Jugs Bowling Center is a prime example, high lineage house wood lanes
                          they cut every 3 years. Huge scores and the lanes look PRISTINE.

Comment

Originally posted by WHERE IS THE SHOT View Post
                            Not true Jugs Bowling Center is a prime example, high lineage house wood lanes
                            they cut every 3 years. Huge scores and the lanes look PRISTINE.
                            This is not the typical bowling center.

95% of their business is league lineage.

Start having Cosmic bowl there every weekend and let see how the lanes look.

Comment

Besides Jimmy, it Toledo, they only have twenty boards they oil.
                              Television is called a medium because it is neither rare or well done.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X