Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flipping vs. synthetic

I have a friend that just purchased a bowling center. He was wondering about flipping just the heads or just getting synthetics on just the heads. Also wondering how hard to replace the pin decks. Im not really familiar with this subject so I will leave the answer to the Bowl-Tech family.
    If it cant be fixed with a hammer, use a bowling pin.

I have heard of flipping the pine and replacing the heads

It is prudent to get synthetic - used are available - replace the entire lane

Changing the pindeck requires a lot of work

Comment

I would not recomment flipping the lanes over. not only will the lane base become marganially thin, all the cull wood is placed down when the lanes are nailed up. You may pay mucho dinero for replacing boards and filling holes and patching out knots, and still have a thin lane that will be prone to major damage if you let prople keep throwing those 15lb balls onto them.
      This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
        I would not recomment flipping the lanes over. not only will the lane base become marganially thin, all the cull wood is placed down when the lanes are nailed up. You may pay mucho dinero for replacing boards and filling holes and patching out knots, and still have a thin lane that will be prone to major damage if you let prople keep throwing those 15lb balls onto them.
        Seen it done, Ted hit the nail as the ball will too right on the head. There is no savings with this practice, only a lot of work and expense.

JMHO

Charlie
        Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

I worked at a center that replaced the heads and pindecks with synthetic and they had no problems. I do not however know if they had any issues while installing or removing the pindecks as it was done before me. I have swapped out synthetic for synthetic pindecks but that is a lot different than going from wood to synthetic.
          Sometimes we have to do stuff to get by....Just go back and do it right when the "by" has passed!!

Comment

Done that in many centers smurtland, it's just such a hassle when you have to sand the pine and still keep from having a huge drop-off from the head to the pine. there is usually some shim at the end of the head panel. But eventually, this setup needs to have the underlay at the end of the head tapered down so the panel end has the drop off onto the pine in spec.

Comment

Originally posted by 8270king View Post
              I have heard of flipping the pine and replacing the heads

It is prudent to get synthetic - used are available - replace the entire lane

Changing the pindeck requires a lot of work
              Pin Decks are not that hard to change I did 30 lanes worth of them when I was in Toledo.

Comment

I don't know the $ and cents, but I would think if you're going to do heads and pin decks, If you did them all the way it would pay off in the long run. (big investment but it pays you back every yr.)

Comment

Its only an 8 lane center. I told him that putting in full synthetics would be the smart thing to do. Is used the way to go or new?

Comment

Good used are real hard to find. If one does find any used syn, one better make sure they can still get the dowels for them. There are a couple versions being used today where the dowels are discontinued.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
                      Good used are real hard to find. If one does find any used syn, one better make sure they can still get the dowels for them. There are a couple versions being used today where the dowels are discontinued.
                      Ted, are full synthetics the way to go in your opinion? Or keep wood approaches and just do the lane.

Comment

With the manufacturers all now making the textured approach, I'd go for all syn and forgo the maintenance and repairs of wood. Although I just did a 'foul line forward' this winter, it was the choice of the proprietor. We sanded the approaches half way through the lane install so there won't be any maintenance for a few years.
                        Wood approaches was the thing before textured came out, and there are still a lot of apprehension because of the pre-texture approaches causing sticking issues with weather changes.
                        If you were leery about them, ask some centers that has had textured approaches for a few years. Nothing better than unbiased opinions.

Comment

We have 2 centers with wood approaches and synthetic lanes, 3 with full textured synthetics. Given a choice, I would have the wooden approaches replaced with textured synthetics, but that's because I don't enjoy doing the patching/sanding/application every year!

Comment

Full synthetic all the way

Comment

We installed full synthetics last summer (Brunswick Pro Lane) and have not had any issues with sticking or excessive sliding. We do clean them with 99% alcohol, and clean the slide area with 99% alcohol with 1 oz. of Brunswick Approach Conditioner added to the gallon of alcohol 1x a week.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X