Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring decks

One of the summer projects we wanted to do was cleaning up the decks. They had layers of attempted restoration and deck treatment for pins on them and pretty shot. I had never tried this before but was comfortable with woodworking so we tried a few things on lane 1. Armed with a few tips from here and on a hardwood floor forum I went to town. Knocked down the coats with an orbital sander til almost bare wood. Had many bad spots where the wood was rotted or pitted which I filled. Nothing on this lane major enough to seem like I should route out and replace boards. Got to the point where I was ready to coat the deck with urethane and the recommendation was to use a roller. I got to thinking about how the coats were pulled last time I watched and thought about rigging up a squeegee using old lane machine parts. Couldn't find one but I spotted a burnt out fluorescent tube. Using the same method of screeding concrete I poured a line of urethane at the edge where I feathered out the finish to almost bare wood. I laid the tube across the lane and dragged it to the back of the deck sliding it back and forth. It floated a nice smooth layer and seems to work quite well. I'm going to sand down the coat and pull a second in a day and finish that.

The lane before work started...

olddd.jpg
    old.jpg

After pulling the first coat....

new.jpg

New on left....next lane to work on to the right, I also cleaned and painted the downsweeps a slate grey covering up the old dirty white....
    ovn.jpg
    Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Looks good

JMO....I would take the paint off the downsweeps and coat them with clear....the color always wears

Comment

That will extend the life and add pin action too!!

Comment

What did you use to "fill" the bad spots? There isn't much that will last in a pin deck except replacement wood...pin decks take quite a beating.
        TSM & TSM Training Development
        Main Event Entertainment
        480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

I've been trying a few different things on a 'test lane'

Elmers makes a wood filler

elmers.jpg

Been trying this on the shallower spots as it has a slight tendency to shrink.

Using this product on deeper spots as it is epoxy-based.

woody.jpg

This product sands well and dries rock hard with no apparent shrinkage. I make sure to chisel/scrape down to nice bare wood as some spots have mildewed a bit. Thought about even drilling some small pin holes to 'anchor' the patch but haven't tried that yet. I saved the sanding dust from this product, mixed it with gorrilla glue about 50/50 and I get much more mileage out of one package. The glue patch seems to hold up well but I'm only using that on shallow patches as well. I originally bought this for $3.99 and it comes it 2 parts each a 35mm film canister. The local hardware store just restocked it as I bought out their last 3 packs and re-priced it at $6.99.
          Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

Wow...supply and demand hard at work.
            TSM & TSM Training Development
            Main Event Entertainment
            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

I went in today to knock down the last filler that I put down and talked to the company that was screening and coating our approaches (bowling service & supply). Mark, who is a member on here but I don't know his screen name, set me up with some supplies to help me with the deck work. I walked in on the last 45 minutes or so of the job. Good crew, happy with the results and he was more than happy to give me some tips and supplies to make the deck restoration a little easier.

Comment

Update on the deck filler. Plenty of action and no apparent flaking, chipping, wearing or peeling up whatsoever. Both products seem to work great for deck filler.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                Working...
                X