Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• touching up approaches

Hi guys, we have some fairly wrank looking patches on our approaches, they look black at the centre of the foul line basically. We mop our approaches with clean warm water normally twice a week, so i can only think that this comes about through a combination from special needs carers who dont change their shoes, wheelchairs and old centre shoes that customers walk about in (like the toilets, and out the front for a smoke).

Whats the best way to clean these approaches without completely messing the finish up, or going through the finish?

Any advice is normally good advice and always well received

Cheers in advance bowltechers

Rule 1 - do not mop wood with water

You probably have no finish left because most approach finish is waterborne

The dark is dirt that has permeated the wood and will need sanded and re-coated

Comment

What would be the best thing to clean approaches with? ie spills, sticky patches general marks etc?

Comment

Start with a dry wash cloth or towel to rub away scuffs.

if the dry wash cloth wont work, light water moisture on the cloth does work. if not using water, use approach cleaner on the cloth.. for gum, use a plastic scraper. hand rubbing also works well.

Comment

Approach spotter for gum or shoe marks

A damp cloth for beer/pop spills immediately followed with a dry rag - you do need water to break down the sugars in a beer or pop spill

You cannot "mop" the approaches with water if they are wood

You can use water on a rag if you dry immediately

Hope this helps!

Comment

Sounds as if you need a prevention program in place. Bowling shoes worn outside become embedded with abrasives that will act like sandpaper on your approaches. Soda and beer should not be allowed near the approaches .If you have a dedicated bowlers sette area, I would suggest a policy that prohibits food and beverage from being consumed in that area.
            There is light at the end of the tunnel - just be sure it is not a train.

Comment

Only cleaning on wood approach is approach spot cleaner, the black is indeed from cleaning with water dirt is aatrackted to the approach if the finish is gone order&nbsp;294007037.<br>And recoat youre approach. Good Luck, allready working with wooden approach for 10 years and happyer than with synthetics.

Comment

Cheers for the replies guys, will look at options of a recoat of the approach, but for now will go for crawling around on the knees with a cloth and elbow grease. cheers guys

Comment

Originally posted by 8270king View Post
                  Approach spotter for gum or shoe marks

A damp cloth for beer/pop spills immediately followed with a dry rag - you do need water to break down the sugars in a beer or pop spill

You cannot "mop" the approaches with water if they are wood

You can use water on a rag if you dry immediately

Hope this helps!
                  Bother I RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE HEAR TO A POINT ]
                  I damp moped my wood approaches once a month using 1 -10 cleaner and very very hot water
                  OF coarse i changed water ever 6 lanes did this for over 20 years same house
                  [ best approaches in region ] no darkness at foul lines

Comment

Originally posted by wepauls View Post
                    Bother I RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE HEAR TO A POINT ]
                    I damp moped my wood approaches once a month using 1 -10 cleaner and very very hot water
                    OF coarse i changed water ever 6 lanes did this for over 20 years same house
                    [ best approaches in region ] no darkness at foul lines
                    Wepauls - you can diasgree all you want - you are wrong - I would suggest you delete your post - waterborne finishes do not take to damp mopping well

DO NOT DAMP MOP WOOD APPROACHES

Comment

I would suggest using a approach cleaner for soiled spots on the approaches. Approach spot cleaners are designed to evaporate quickly, any liquid applied to wood will cause the wood fibers to absorb moisture and swell, this will change the friction or slide of the approaches, use caution when using any liquids around approaches. This is the reason that approaches become tacky or sticky when it rains and there is a lot of humidity in the air.
                      For Sale, Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Comment

Best way to take up shoe marks is with your own shoes. just go out there and kick at the approach until the lines go away.

We dust the gutters and approach before every league oiling and do the whole house once a week. Other than that we don't use anything other than elbow grease and the RARE approach spot cleaner. Oh and clean up any spills immediately if not sooner to keep em looking and sliding right.
                        When you know what to do, everything is easy.

Comment

I use 99% alcohol.... Thoughts???

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                          Working...
                          X