Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Wood lanes

Hey guys! I am newer to the bowling center owners list...I know our lanes NEED to be resurfaced...only thing is...I don't know how...We have something our mechanic called "Guardian" on the first 15 feet of the lanes, but the edges are starting to peel up and it makes the whole rest of the lanes look like Sh*t...I would like to resurface the whole 10 lanes and replace the "guardian"...anyone able to give me a shopping list, and kind of a how to run down? I was in the navy and buffed a lot of floors but I have never done anything on a bowling lane, and I know people can be particular about them...I also know that eventually they will have to be resanded...I am just looking for someway that I can make them look a little better till then.

Thanks guys,

Cameron

I don't know of a touch up for junk Gardian. It is costly to replace completely. You probably don't have much wood to sand, that's the reason the Gardian was put down. Save some money and find some used synthetic from some area resurfacers that get stuff from closing centers.

Comment

Guardian protect the lane well for 4 or 5 years then goes kaput. I know you are not going to want to hear this but you more than likely need to sand/or cut as some call it which needs to be done by a PRO who has the equipment to do it right and within USBC specs. It is expensive and one of the down falls of wood lanes, maintence cost. Like someone else said you may want to find some qualtity used synthetics which will save you on sanding costs down the road, then again you need to have that done right too, a crappy install will cost you $$$ down the road as well.
      * this space left blank intentionally *

Comment

Alright thanks guys!

Comment

I'm looking into buying a bowling alley, built in 1975, and was told to measure the lane thickness. I was told they are bad when they hit 2.5inches. can someone tell me the thickness when new also the easiest way to measure the thickness without tearing alot apart i am new to this so any help greatly appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by fordtorino93 View Post
            I'm looking into buying a bowling alley, built in 1975, and was told to measure the lane thickness. I was told they are bad when they hit 2.5inches. can someone tell me the thickness when new also the easiest way to measure the thickness without tearing alot apart i am new to this so any help greatly appreciated
            A couple ways that I was shown when dealing with wood lanes:
            1. Go down to where the lane meets the pin deck and there should be some exposed side area of the wood on the side of the lane as the gutters transition from round to flat.
            2. Depending on the gutters, pull up a section or carefully pry back a section and measure the wood thickness.
            3. Foul line, pull up the foul cover at look there.

For the approach area, you can look by pulling off the ball return hood and look at the floor.

Comment

Typically the Heads/Approach and Pin Deck will be the thinnest as they are sanded the most due to the heavy wear there. Way back when there was no lengthwise tilt spec. Now there is. From the 2017 book:
              Surface
              1. The surface must be free of all continuous grooves or ridge.
              2. On the surface of the lane/panel for all initial installations, there shall be a limit of 40/1000 of an inch over a 42-inch span for each of the following:
              a. Crosswise Measurements
              i. Crosswise Tilt
              ii. Crowns
              iii. Depressions
              b. Lengthwise Measurement
              i. Lengthwise Tilt
              3. There shall be no crosswise tilt in excess of the 40/1000 inch over the width of the lane. Here is the whole spec for your reading Pleasure LOL:

Manual Equipment Specs USBC 7_2017.pdf

ALL Files Scanned with MALWAREBYTES PREMIUM Version 3.4.5.2467 and AVAST INTERNET SECURITY Version 18.3.2333
              Everything has to be Somewhere !!

Comment

New wood lanes are 2 3/4" thick, (before teh first cut), with a "Tongue & Groove" in the center of the board. A Flat Head twisted, hardened nail holds them together. One should be placed in the center of the groove, the next one slightly below the groove, (but this varies by personal preference from installer/builder to installer/builder). They are placed about every 8" in the Maple and 12" in the Pine, (this too varies). Sooo... theoretically, you should be able to sand down 1 3/8" before hitting a nail. When this happens, it tears up the sanding drum paper, makes sparks, (in a dust laden, explosive atmosphere), and then you get to rebuild the center, not LOL.
                Everything has to be Somewhere !!

Comment

thanks everyone for your help

Comment

Are there any companies that resurface wood lanes that anyone would recommend? I am in KY and don't know of any other bowling allies nearby that even have wood lanes so I don't know where to go for maintenance assistance. Thanks.

Comment

http://www.goldcrownbowlingservice.com/index.html
                      These guys still sand lanes. I don't know if they travel to your area.

Comment

Mickeygm is mostly correct. You can actually sand down to about 1 3/4 - 1 5/8" before hitting tongue & groove and the top of the groove starts to break out. A little farther if the heads have been injected. Nails never go in straight so you can expect to start hitting them at about 2". My first center was built in 1958, when we closed it in 95 the lanes were still useable. They were getting down there though.

Comment

Originally posted by RB1Kenobi View Post
                          Are there any companies that resurface wood lanes that anyone would recommend? I am in KY and don't know of any other bowling allies nearby that even have wood lanes so I don't know where to go for maintenance assistance. Thanks.
                          Tell City (Indiana) Lanes has wood lanes. 812 547-7958. The owners are usually there on weekday mornings. I think they'll be glad to share who does their sanding.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                          Working...
                          X