Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wooden approaches

What do you guys reccommend as the best way to clean a wood approach? I know you can't mop them with water, but ours are starting to look a little dirty. I keep spot cleaning them with approach spotter, but some areas are just too tough for the stuff. The boss wanted me to use a damp mop and "lightly" go over the first few feet; I have yet to do that. Don't want to take the chance of screwing it up.

Any suggestions?
    Duct tape and cable ties = a solution to all your woes!

Re: wooden approaches

If the dirty areas do not comt clean with spotter you have a pop or beer spill.

To clean these areas just have a damp rag and a dry one.

Wipe the area with the damp rag and immediately wipe it up with the dry one.

You need the water to cut the sugars in the pop to get it up.

Jerry

Comment

OK... I only have a few spills like that. Can get them up fairly easily. What about ball burns? I've tried nearly everything to get those up, but eventually have to let them just wear off.
      Duct tape and cable ties = a solution to all your woes!

Comment

A pad of red (fine) scotch-brite, and a little elbow grease removes ball burns and shoe scuffs pretty well. Follow up w/ a little approach spotter on a cloth to pick up the dust and removed scuff material.
        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Originally posted by AMFPinchaser:
          OK... I only have a few spills like that. Can get them up fairly easily. What about ball burns? I've tried nearly everything to get those up, but eventually have to let them just wear off.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If it are realy burnmarks you have a problem.
          I think you mean dirty spots from dirty old(mostly rubber)balls. You can easaly remove them with some lane oil and a dry towel. If you have a waterbase finish on your approach and you still have black spots you can try to sand it with a scotch black pad.
          But remember: A good sliding approach is more important than a good looking one.
          If your boss doesn't agrea tell him your approach needs a new resurfacing!

Martin
          So it goes.

Comment

Grab a floor polisher and apply a scotch brite pad to it and do your approaches. I am at my wits end at my place with them. There dirty and very grainy when you slide. I might re-coat the slide area but not until winter.

deadwood
            Well thats just like your opinion man...

Comment

Originally posted by deadwood:
              Grab a floor polisher and apply a scotch brite pad to it and do your approaches. I am at my wits end at my place with them. There dirty and very grainy when you slide. I might re-coat the slide area but not until winter.

deadwood
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you used a floor polisher with scotchbrite, that may be a reason why they are grainy and low-slide. You need to use a lot of caution with wood... grain fibers run a certain way. If you use a circular motion to sand coated wood, you will make very fine 'splinters' stick up out of the grain, and it will cause drag on a shoe. Circular motion is OK if you recoat, because then you are using a coating as a barrier and adhesive to hold the fibers and smooth the floor, but usually this is why you see resurfacers use linear belt sanders to cut lanes WITH the grain, instead of across... it keeps the grain even and flat, and minimizes the amount of the wood fibers that will be standing instead of laying flat and smooth. The coating is what really gives the slide... bare, uncoated wood has more abrasive characteristics than you think. After coating, the buffing with light scotchbrite or screen is to remove and flatten any fibers, dust, or fuzz thatg may be sticking up through the coating, and it also adds a slight satin 'polish' to the coat, making it slide even better.
              <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse